• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Manager Wish-List Thread

Who do you want?

• Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Antonio Conte

• Christophe Galtier

• Roberto Martinez

• Paulo Fonseca

• Gian Piero Gasperini

• Total voters

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
Don't think it reflects on Rodgers, it's a cup competition and all we did was extend the lifeline for another round.

They were without Maddison, would we have got through last night without Saka?
EX-CU-SES!!!

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
He's been knocked out of the Europa in the Round of 32 five times. That definitely takes the shine off him slightly.
I hope he never comes here, he is a flop! I want mighty Erik Ten Hag! Probably an smart club like gladbach will take him. Or even Barcelona if they go smart and sack Koeman. But us.... Nah, we are experts in not taking chances for players and managers at the good moment.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I actually can’t believe guys are stunting on Rodgers tbh.

Like Poch he’s not a serial trophy winner no, but as far as squad building coaches go and getting the maximum out of ok players he’s one of the best in the league. Poch and Rodgers get you top four or in the discussion. Beyond that, yeah there’s question marks.

Rodgers is the type of manager Arsenal should have been looking at, not a novice who needs a blank chequebook aka Arteta.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆

Like Poch he’s not a serial trophy winner no, but as far as squad building coaches go and getting the maximum out of ok players he’s one of the best in the league. Poch and Rodgers get you top four or in the discussion. Beyond that, yeah there’s question marks.

Rodgers is the type of manager Arsenal should have been looking at, not a novice who needs a blank chequebook aka Arteta.
I still think he's a good manager, but getting knocked out of the Europa in the R32 five times is poor.

Rodgers was on my wish-list in 2018 when Wenger left so I certainly don't doubt his ability as a coach.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I still think he's a good manager, but getting knocked out of the Europa in the R32 five times is poor.

Rodgers was on my wish-list in 2018 when Wenger left so I certainly don't doubt his ability as a coach.
It’s all good pointing out his Europa league failures, but he’s higher in the league with a similar team to ours. Furthermore we have a manager who could potentially go out to Olympiakos two seasons in a row.

The Rodgers ship has sailed anyways so there’s no point fawning over him I guess.

You could do a lot worse than him though that’s for sure, the attractive managers from other leagues don’t know the Prem for example.

Reactions: A_G

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐

Yeah I think Potch/BR would have been perfect managers for our situation. They woulda helped us get into top4 and then past that maybe they kinda fail but we woulda built a platform and got ourselves back into a good position.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
It’s all good pointing out his Europa league failures, but he’s higher in the league with a similar team to ours.
I disagree with this, Leciester's team is much better than ours. They actually bring in players that they need and who suit their system. We have meanwhile amalgamated a squad full of names. We have tried to act like a big club and in turn hampered ourselves with an unbalanced side. Leciester never spend a lot of money on one given player but the value they add to their team is usually much better than the ones we sign. Leciester would have never not sorted their midfield out for a decade like us.

If we acted like a 'rich mans' Leciester we would be in a much better position right now.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I disagree with this, Leciester's team is much better than ours.
It’s really not.

Vardy and Auba is levels
Schmeichael and Leno is levels
Fofana and Saliba is levels
Partey > all of their midfielders
Saka > all of their wingers
Tierney > Justin
Pereira > Bellerin
Tielemans > Xhaka
Maddison > ESR/Ødegaard
Lacazette > Inhenacho

Nobody wants Albrighton even though he’s decent. Maddison is better than anything we have but once he’s out they are finished. Barnes is good but doesn’t have anything we don’t have (pace and finishing).

Evans and Soyunchu is marginally better than Rob/Luiz/Gabriel? I’ll be generous and say sure, even though to me there’s not much in it.

This narrative that Leicester squad is superior simply isn’t true, yet look at the table. At a push you could argue their starting 11 is stronger but one or two injuries and the quality of squads really starts to show.

Arteta isn’t good but people try and find excuses all the time.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I disagree with this, Leciester's team is much better than ours. They actually bring in players that they need and who suit their system. We have meanwhile amalgamated a squad full of names. We have tried to act like a big club and in turn hampered ourselves with an unbalanced side. Leciester never spend a lot of money on one given player but the value they add to their team is usually much better than the ones we sign. Leciester would have never not sorted their midfield out for a decade like us.

If we acted like a 'rich mans' Leciester we would be in a much better position right now.
Leicester have the best scouts in the country. I’m sure their model is the club identifying the talent and Rodgers coaching them.

Our model is signing crap and finishing mid table.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
It’s really not.

Vardy and Auba is levels
Tierney > Justin
Pereira > Bellerin
Tielemans > Xhaka
Maddison > ESR/Ødegaard
Lacazette > Inhenacho

Nobody wants Albrighton even though he’s decent. Maddison is better than anything we have but once he’s out they are finished. Barnes is good but doesn’t have anything we don’t have (pace and finishing).

Evans and Soyunchu is marginally better than Rob/Luiz/Gabriel? I’ll be generous and say sure, even though to me there’s not much in it.

This narrative that Leicester squad is superior simply isn’t true, yet look at the table. At a push you could argue their starting 11 is stronger but one or two injuries and the quality of squads really starts to show.

Rodgers went in their and implemented his style quickly and they've really built on it. I'm still not totally sure what Arteta wants his style to be long term if we compare the two.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
It’s really not.

Vardy and Auba is levels
Tierney > Justin
Pereira > Bellerin
Tielemans > Xhaka
Maddison > ESR/Ødegaard
Lacazette > Inhenacho

I think you've missed my point. I have actually said in the past myself that Arsenal have better players on paper than Leciester. But I was talking about the team as a unit and the way they identify players. Ill use our attack as an example. We sign Lacazette, only to go onto signing Aubameyang. So we now have two good strikers despite having glaring issues in other areas of the pitch. We then go ahead and sign Pepe for £72m despite our front 3 already containing two players who were quite suited to finishing/ball striking rather than technical security or creativity. We have spent almost £200m on those 3 but they don't even compliment eachother. Leciester are the kind of team that would reject signing a top player who becomes available because they don't actually suit the system, while Arsenal have shown that we always sign these kind of players.

And you mention Partey being better than their entire midfield and he hasn't even strung games together for us yet, so in terms of Arteta being **** and all thats not really a valid point until Partey starts playing week in week out for us. Our midfield was Xhaka, Elneny/Ceballos and then no attacking mid until January time. We obviously suffered due to this and January was almost like the true start of the season in terms of where we wanted our squad to be. Leicester have had a potent attack, balanced midfield and very good fullbacks. We are clearly a work in process in terms of our weak areas (RB, CM, AM) while I don't actually see a weakness in Leciester. They have more less impressive or exciting players maybe, but they have less problem positions.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I think you've missed my point. I have actually said in the past myself that Arsenal have better players on paper than Leciester. But I was talking about the team as a unit and the way they identify players.
You said their team was much better than ours and I literally had to line them up almost player to player to show that’s not the case.

Rodgers didn’t sign the majority of these guys tbh but whatever, they were lower midtable before he came and now for the past two seasons they are not.

I can say what I want until I’m blue in the face tbh, people will see what they want to see and excuses will always be made.

Arteta will get his players, but I really really don’t think it’s gonna matter.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
You said their team was much better than ours and I literally had to line them up almost player to player to show that’s not the case.

Rodgers didn’t sign the majority of these guys tbh but whatever, they were lower midtable before he came and now for the past two seasons they are not.

I can say what I want until I’m blue in the face tbh, people will see what they want to see and excuses will always be made.

Arteta will get his players, but I really really don’t think it’s gonna matter.
Yeah 'team'. I think i referred to the word team in my post, which isn't about doing X player > X player. Yes Rodgers didnt sign these players, because it isn't 2002 and theres actually a defined division of responsibility at that club.

Some mans will really chat like Arteta is our only issue right now, Emery was on route for a worse finish than this even. Its two managers flopping badly. If you want to blame both invidual managers for not being good enough that falls down to the club's decision making too as they appointed them :lol: so I feel like we have been debating this stuff just for the sake of debating. I am not an Arteta fanboy, my opinion on him is influenced by other things at play. Some people think that criticising other sections of the club is protecting Arteta. I think that's having an agenda personally. I have had criticism for Arteta if you look at some of my posts over the months, I just think *some* of the issues are more due to an embarassing structure at this club which has put a manager in his first management job having too much say and power with things. Like giving a 17 year old keys to a Ferrari.

Last edited:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I like Rodgers (in spite of how I make fun of him), but he really has to do something otherwise the reputation as a bottler will stick. Liverpool bottling the title when they have it in the bag. Being knocked out of European competitions to Basel and Besiktas. Losing a semifinal to a poor Villa side. Bottling top 4 with Leicester last year. Losing to Slavia this week.

He's becoming a bit of a nearly man.

What's weird tho is if Leicester go on to finish top four he'll end up in the too good for us category anyways.

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
Talking about new manager is useless i think the club gonna give Arteta another season unless things turned very ugly again specially if we out from europa league and can't push for top 6 finish.

We are going to finish 10th or lower. So he probably will be fired.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom