• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Leicester City v Arsenal | Sunday, February 28 | KO: 12:00 UTC | BT Sport

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
leno may have made more saves than Schmikel but alit if those were long distance speculative shots which didn’t cause Leno much problem
They shots were from distance but the point I was trying to make is that we seem to give up chances even when we're in control. We won't always get away with it and Leno's second save was palmed into a danger area that we're lucky Iheanacho? didn't exploit.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
They shots were from distance but the point I was trying to make is that we seem to give up chances even when we're in control. We won't always get away with it and Leno's second save was palmed into a danger area that we're lucky Iheanacho? didn't exploit.
After having conceded from two direct freekicks this season, for some reason I felt like Leicester were trying to test Leno with their pops from distance. Might be something to look out for in future.

EDIT: Sorry 1 direct freekick. Moutinho's goal though from distance, was from open play

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
After having conceded from two direct freekicks this season, for some reason I felt like Leicester were trying to test Leno with their pops from distance. Might be something to look out for in future.

EDIT: Sorry 1 direct freekick. Moutinho's goal though from distance, was from open play
Wasn't Leno facing the sun? It seemed so. Thats what I thought the reason was personally. And anyway those Moutinho and Benfica goals were unsaveable essentially. Its not as if he showed weaknesses in those scenarios.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Leno's shot stopping is probably his best attribute, he has great reflexes.

Think Leicester were shooting so much because of the sun, Bernd didn't wear a cap for some reason, seemed to struggle seeing the ball at times... got lucky today it didn't cost us.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Wasn't Leno facing the sun? It seemed so. Thats what I thought the reason was personally. And anyway those Moutinho and Benfica goals were unsaveable essentially. Its not as if he showed weaknesses in those scenarios.
He didn't but Leno isn't exactly the biggest frame out there. It just struck me how far off he was for that Benfica goal. A bigger keeper wouldn't have stopped it either but could've gotten a bit closer to it. Anyway I just feel some teams might try to test him out more.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
He didn't but Leno isn't exactly the biggest frame out there. It just struck me how far off he was for that Benfica goal. A bigger keeper wouldn't have stopped it either but could've gotten a bit closer to it. Anyway I just feel some teams might try to test him out more.
Yeah its quite hard to judge these things, I think Leno is an amazing shot stopper and has made many top class saves from powerful shots outside the area here. But yeah sometimes height may hinder you.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
No choice. i have a broken arm so have nothing better to do for the foreseeable. Ignore listed the likes of reed, Garrincha, Gooner 416 and albakos to make life more pleasant.

Wait, what? How did you break your arm in a lockdown?

You know what.....don’t answer that.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
His job was to protect Pepe, since Pepe is the better attacker. Its not a wonder that Pepe had a man of the match performance when we finally put a defender behind him.
Sure defensively, but he was gash in possession those last 30minutes.

bergholt

Also, I am not going to bash Mari for following Vardy's run into our area. If Mari had come out to close down the man with the ball, he would have just passed to Vardy, who would have been wide open near the goal. El Neny should have closed down Tielemans, and/or Luiz should have told Mari he was taking Vardy.

Agreed. I think if Luiz and Mari had played together more then that switch would have been cleaner.

Kysus

Yeah but it would be the wrong call tbh. Xhaka clearly operates better with a better partner at CM. He gets to quietly do his job without having the responsibility to create/carry the ball.

I do think Xhaka would thrive with some rotation and competition, bringing in a lower quality midfielder in the summer would mean that he doesnt really get that. I think we should be aiming for at least a potential starter with a different skillset to Xhaka (Ceballos for example is too similar to him). But yeah as you say it probably does hinge on if we get European football next season. With a much emptier schedule maybe they won't see a good CM as a priority in this climate.
Xhaka and Ceballos are nothing alike, very very different players.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Xhaka and Ceballos are nothing alike, very very different players.
Imo in terms of their deficiencies they are quite similar. Xhaka is a better controller of tempo while Ceballos is the better going forward and making defence splitting passes. But they are both quite leggy, slow, not very agile. They don't work playing together. Someones partner is meant to make up for their deficiencies but they dont much.

Kysus

Imo in terms of their deficiencies they are quite similar. Xhaka is a better controller of tempo while Ceballos is the better going forward and making defence splitting passes. But they are both quite leggy, slow, not very agile. They don't work playing together. Someones partner is meant to make up for their deficiencies but they dont much.

It's hilarious how speed is the only thing some people see in football players.
It's pretty much the only characteristic those two share and yet they are "very similiar". What?

Xhaka is a passer, who usually moves the ball quickly(sometimes he slows it down on purpose) and rarely dribbles. He has a wide range of passing but rarely plays trough-balls. Without the ball he reads the game very well and wins the ball back by being in the right place and then using his strong frame, he also covers other players a lot when they are out of position.

Ceballos is more of a dribbler who's passing is very risky, he tries a lot more trough-balls.
Without the ball he runs around a lot(you could say a bit of a headless chicken) and wins balls back that way. He also opens up gaps by this lack of discipline.

Two players that are nothing alike.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
It's hilarious how speed is the only thing some people see in football players.
It's pretty much the only characteristic those two share and yet they are "very similiar". What?

Xhaka is a passer, who usually moves the ball quickly(sometimes he slows it down on purpose) and rarely dribbles. He has a wide range of passing but rarely plays trough-balls. Without the ball he reads the game very well and wins the ball back by being in the right place and then using his strong frame, he also covers other players a lot when they are out of position.

Ceballos is more of a dribbler who's passing is very risky, he tries a lot more trough-balls.
Without the ball he runs around a lot(you could say a bit of a headless chicken) and wins balls back that way. He also opens up gaps by this lack of discipline.

Two players that are nothing alike.
In my post I say 'too similar' which doesn't necessary I'm saying they are a carbon copy of eachother. The logical conclusion I am making out of this is that Xhaka and Ceballos do not work together. Their biggest weakness is that they are both not athletes at all. That's a big deal in 2021 in the Premier League, unless you're Man City or something. Its been something we have been lacking all along without Partey. I just think that there is way more value in a dynamic midfielder (especially if we continue the double pivot), we can get much more value from that than keeping Ceballos.

Kysus

In my post I say 'too similar' which doesn't necessary I'm saying they are a carbon copy of eachother. The logical conclusion I am making out of this is that Xhaka and Ceballos do not work together. Their biggest weakness is that they are both not athletes at all. That's a big deal in 2021 in the Premier League, unless you're Man City or something. Its been something we have been lacking all along without Partey. I just think that there is way more value in a dynamic midfielder (especially if we continue the double pivot), we can get much more value from that than keeping Ceballos.

You are only an athlete if you are quick?

Not sure where this obsession with quick, powerful CMs is coming from on AM, I reckon we are still not over Vieira.

Pace and power is really important in today's game but CM is still quite an exception to that development as it is a role that, for the most part, requires a different skill-set.
Top-class CMs that are strong and quick are still a major outlier at the top level. We actually have one of the very few at our club who is good enough tacticially and with the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom