• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I don't get at all this narrative that Arteta is somehow not 'nice' or 'doesn't like' Pepe or is somehow punitive or something with him.

He was dropped for Leeds, a game where Arteta chose what I (and I'm sure not just I) think is our highest potential XI (ESR-Ødegaard-Saka), in which we produced perhaps our best performance of the season. Arteta then picked the same team for a big game against Benfica in Europe. He then chose Pepe against Manchester City...

I don't really get this narrative at all. People also act like he was on some kind of Gareth Bale 2012-13 run of form. He had a good game against Southampton, not so good against United, good against Wolves, not so good against Villa, and was dropped for those two matches in favour of really interesting options (ESR, Ødegaard, Saka) after that. He scored 2 goals in those 4 games.

Yeah @Finesse going off of what I said after the game, you can really notice a positive influence of Arteta's coaching on Pepe. Think there's a strong case he's been one of the players who's most benefited from his coaching.

I am not a fan of Arteta the manager. I am a fan of Arteta the coach. Pepe coming into the team and performing is on Pepe. It shows mental strength and resilience. Very different from headbutting someone after getting kicked against Leeds. The way he plays is down to the coaching. He spends less time on the ball and he is more direct.

However, when it comes down to it. He needs to be starting in our most important games. He is a better player than both Willian and ESR when playing on the left. Even with inconsistency he has been far more consistent than Willian. Willian has had two good games this season. Two. Credit should be in the bank with Pepe. He should be ahead of him in the pecking order.

I cant believe people are willing to just sign off 72 million as a loss. Top of the list should be getting that 72 million pound player performing in a consistent manner.

He is not Morata ffs. There is something definitely there with Pepe.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
As long as people repeat the same stuff about Pepe and saying stuff about Arteta that isn’t true, I will repeat myself tbh.

Put me on ignore if you don’t like it, that’s what I do with a lot of posters on here.

Most people on here have been saying lots of positive things about Pepe in the last few weeks. He improved his work-rate, actually started combining play with his teammates instead of holding on to the ball forever and dribbling into no man's land. I am not a big fan of Arteta and still think he should be held accountable for the run of nearly two months with no wins and horrendous football on the pitch. West Ham are still top 4, so no way anyone can say Arsenal didn't have enough quality to be at least top 6 before ESR started getting game time in December.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Most people on here have been saying lots of positive things about Pepe in the last few weeks. He improved his work-rate, actually started combining play with his teammates instead of holding on to the ball forever and dribbling into no man's land. I am not a big fan of Arteta and still think he should be held accountable for the run of nearly two months with no wins and horrendous football on the pitch. West Ham are still top 4, so no way anyone can say Arsenal didn't have enough quality to be at least top 6 before ESR started getting game time in December.
Cool man interesting.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Tbf most of this is the same stuff that the player has been capable of doing for ages. The only noticeable recent change is work rate and even that was a while ago.

Just a lot of people creating reasons as to why he’s playing well. The simplest answer is usually the correct answer, he’s just being given more game time in an attack that is better as a unit.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I think generally we've got to get away from the idea of starting eleven players in that front 3. It's going to be a rotation game to try and keep everyone fit and firing for the rest of the season I think.

Really the only one who should be a nailed on starter is Saka, and even he needs a rest every now and then.

You do need to try and reward players that are in good form though so I'd be pretty disappointed if Pepe doesn't start against Burnley, I think he will.

We've got Saka, Willian, Pepe, Ødegaard and ESR all in pretty decent form at the moment, that's a nice problem to have.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Tbf most of this is the same stuff that the player has been capable of doing for ages.

Nahhh, I haven't seen the link-up and composure to pick a little pass instead of shoot or run head down into a less interesting area that he showed on a couple occasions yesterday at all in his Arsenal career. That's definitely something new to his game and coaching. Defensive work rate and committedness to the team in pressing is also noticeably better.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Nahhh, I haven't seen the link-up and composure to pick a little pass instead of shoot or run head down into a less interesting area that he showed on a couple occasions yesterday at all in his Arsenal career. That's definitely something new to his game and coaching. Defensive work rate and committedness to the team in pressing is also noticeably better.

This video isn't about Pepe, more the good football played under Arteta at the end of last season. But there's little triangles in there drawn so you can't miss it.

He was doing this stuff in the Europa league group stages too with ESR and etc. It just proves that with a half decent number 10 he just looks better, there's nothing really new except his willingness to defend.

I've noted your footballing views are a bit dodgy anyways, not sure why I bothered.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Most people on here have been saying lots of positive things about Pepe in the last few weeks.
Mostly the same people that were supporting Pepe throughout, the other group only comes here when he doesn't score and we lose a game, someone needs to take the blame and he is an easy target

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚

This video isn't about Pepe, more the good football played under Arteta at the end of last season. But there's little triangles in there drawn so you can't miss it.

He was doing this stuff in the Europa league group stages too with ESR and etc. It just proves that with a half decent number 10 he just looks better, there's nothing really new except his willingness to defend.

I've noted your footballing views are a bit dodgy anyways, not sure why I bothered.

Lol, using that video to try and prove a point, my word. In the minute I watched before realising it was an absolutely **** attempt on your part to prove a point that it absolutely doesn't demonstrate, there wasn't one example of the kind of pass I'm talking about. It's him doing triangles around mid pitch with the simplest of passes, that RBs make all the time...nothing to do with what I'm talking about, conduction inside and instead of rifling a silly shot finding a ball inside and continuing the run (Ødegaard, and Cedric yesterday--it obviously doesn't have to happen with just a no. 10, but that suits your agenda...so :drool:)

Talk about projection in the bolded :lol:

Nonsense about Europa, he was not doing what I noted in Europa, his game was the same we had seen up until recent weeks, just against **** opposition...he also barely stood out and was quite absent in those games, except for a few wonder goals.

If he keeps playing like this I will eat my words on him, fantastic performance today, was beating Thomas at will and more importantly loved the composure to link up intelligently with Ødegaard for the 3rd goal (later did the same with Cedric but Cedric bottled it), instead of cutting in and taking a desperate and predictable effort from deep.

Arteta looks to be having a positive impact on him as a footballer, he's really improved.

But yeah, of course he benefits from having a 10 in the team, it's evident the whole team benefits from that. As I said all summer long, while people like you had a **** to the Thomas signing and I noted that while Thomas was a fine signing we had left a bigger hole unfilled. :) But that has little to do with what I noted (you don't have to have a 10 in the team to show composure and make a smart short link-up when cutting in, that's down to coaching and improvement on Pepe's part).

Last edited:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Pepe clearly is improving and seems to be running into some form. He has goals in him and around the box he creates a lot. He was involved in some form in all three goals. Won free kick and penalty for the first two and scored the third.

Like that we finally have some options that work up front!

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

You haven't seen composure to pick a pass? You are choosing to see it now and attribute it to Arteta. Pepe was statistically one of our most progressive passers even before Arteta. He us also consistently an end product player. Arteta hasn't discovered this guy.

He has just taken too long to surround him with the right profile of player. Put bellerin back at full back and Pepe will be disconnected again.
Put Ceballos in midfield and he wont get the ball early.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Pepe was statistically one of our most progressive passers even before Arteta

Was he? I'd be interested to see that evidence.

No, composure to pick a pass is certainly not something I would use to characterise Pepe's game (even now; there are improvements but that's certainly not something I would consider a strong part of his game, and surprised anyone would--hence why Saka plays on the right facing the play and Arteta moved Pepe to the left).

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Pepe is insanely good in heading the ball. His timing is immaculate. Not sure if a stat exists, but it seems like he connects with the ball in 90% of aerial duels. Impressive for a guy with his physique.

Guy should be on the end of his own corners.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Was he? I'd be interested to see that evidence.

No, composure to pick a pass is certainly not something I would use to characterise Pepe's game (even now; there are improvements but that's certainly not something I would consider a strong part of his game, and surprised anyone would--hence why Saka plays on the right facing the play and Arteta moved Pepe to the left).

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Hate to say it but agree with @Trilly here, Pepe is doing what Pepe did when he first joined, maybe a tiny bit more refined but it's all mostly coming with consistent game time.

I do still think Mikel thinks of him as second string atm though.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
What ever reason you can muster, there is no justification for not playing him.

You want him to be a good player for your team? Play him.
Do you want to sell him? Play him.
Simple as.
This, basically.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He still has the earn his way ahead of Saka unless Mikel sees him as an option on the right. You don't just drop Saka or play him elsewhere because Pepe had a good game. I think Saka is still somewhat versatile so in the future perhaps he could play left or more centrally to accommodate Pepe. But at the moment I don't think this means Pepe is now first choice RW, far from it.

Luckily for Pepe, with us still being in the EL and games coming thick and fast we'll be rotating our options in attack quite a bit so he'll not be short of game time, it's up to him to have a positive impact when he's playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom