• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Not really no.

We have been doing that for 10 years.

Maybe this time it might be different.

If not we go again.
Jesus christ! In that ten year period we played some of the best football in these shores and was playing yearly in the CL and finishing top 4. Only in the last three years that changed. Even at that in 2016/2017 we finished 5th 1 point behind Liverpool. Under Emery, We finished 5th 2 points behind Chelsea who were in third. But we hounded those managers out because we thought we deserved better. Funny if Arteta finish 7th this season, the Arteta brigade and the athletic will **** themselves into stupor.

The questions I keep asking but AM won't answer: How have we progressed when we play some the worst football we've ever seen at this club and we're so far down the table?

Last edited:

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

What an awful explanation. Can tell you're desperately reaching for a way out when you're having to fill your posts with asinine "process boyz" and "twerking" comments. In future, it might be less embarrassing to just accept you were wrong?
???
What way out? Last I checked I’m still not a believer and not looking for anyway out.

The man plainly said he doesn’t have the players to play the way he wants to play. Where have I got this twisted?

Last I checked the club chose not to sell the players I mentioned?

Where exactly am I wrong? 🤨

Whatever man. As I tell everyone who finds me embarrassing or a poor poster, the ignore button or just don’t reply.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
Arteta - We have to put these games away

I don't want a manager who thinks we "generated so many big chances" yesterday. He literally is not being critic and he really thinks 3 shots on target is so many chances. 4 if we add that one of Saka off the target. 4 big chances is "so many big chances"?

A good team needs to produce more than 4. None team is so lethal to score 100% of shots on target. If he cannot accept we are not generating enough creativity and chances, he really is the problem.

teamsoutheast

What players do you believe we need to rid these excuses?

How many? What positions? And at what cost?
I honestly think we just need 1 maybe 2 top class, highly technical, and mobile midfielders to play in Arteta's preferred 4-3-3 formation. Our midfield and defence has been broken for a good few years now. The beginning of the rebuild started last summer with the acquisition of Partey (midfield) and Gabriel (Defence - Spine of the team). I feel this summer we will continue the midfield rebuild by getting our top class highly technical midfielder (Aouar/Matheus Henrique?) and maybe a younger up and coming one (I want Rayan Cherkhi). IF the price is right, I would also make Ødegaard and Ceballos permanent.

yorch44

Jesus christ! In that ten year period we played some of the best football in these shores and was playing yearly in the CL and finishing top 4. Only in the last three years that changed. Even at that in 2016/2017 we finished 5th 1 point behind Liverpool. We finished 5th 2 points behind Chelsea in third. But we hounded those managers out because we thought we deserved better. Funny if Arteta finish 7th this season, the Arteta brigade and the athletic will **** themselves into stupor.

The questions I keep asking but AM won't answer: How have we progressed when we play some the worst football we've ever seen at this club and we're so far down the table?
We don't, I wanted to trust but hearing him now saying we are creating so many big chances is like hearing a deluded person deforming the reality. If you can't be honest yourself about your job then you won't be better. We are not City to give him 500M next summer so he can buy the title like Pep does.

We need a manager with better ideas and I would give the chance to Ten Hag.

teamsoutheast

How many managers in the league get given “their players” until it works?

I think you’ll find most make do with what is given and some that do are even higher than us. Arteta has been backed and will get backed this summer too, but it won’t help him.

Arteta should be given the same amount of time as Emery got. If he needs that much more then why on Earth are you hiring him for?
Our squad has been a complete mess for a good few years now. We're slowly managing to balance the squad albeit having to pay some of them off in some circumstances. I think next season with a bit of luck in the transfer market, we'll have better idea of whether or not this squad can progress.

yorch44

I honestly think we just need 1 maybe 2 top class, highly technical, and mobile midfielders to play in Arteta's preferred 4-3-3 formation. Our midfield and defence has been broken for a good few years now. The beginning of the rebuild started last summer with the acquisition of Partey (midfield) and Gabriel (Defence - Spine of the team). I feel this summer we will continue the midfield rebuild by getting our top class highly technical midfielder (Aouar/Matheus Henrique?) and maybe a younger up and coming one (I want Rayan Cherkhi). IF the price is right, I would also make Ødegaard and Ceballos permanent.
Where comes that idea he prefers 433? He has never used it here. Pep uses it but he wasn't the chief at city.

He could used ESR in 433 alongside Partey and Ceballos but he didn't even tried. Instead he loaned Ødegaard and used him as 10. And of course over played ESR so he is injured now because even me, a person from other side of the world knew that boy is injury prone and needs rest. We are lucky Saka hasn't picked an injury yet.

say yes

forum master baiter
???
What way out? Last I checked I’m still not a believer and not looking for anyway out.

The man plainly said he doesn’t have the players to play the way he wants to play. Where have I got this twisted?

Last I checked the club chose not to sell the players I mentioned?

Where exactly am I wrong? 🤨
Whatever man.
Oh look you're still going. This is what you said:

Some of us might be if he didn't keep openly calling the players crap at every opportunity.

Unsurprisingly, despite the interesting claim that you're being "fair and reasonable", he hasn't called them crap *once*, let alone "at every opportunity". I don't understand why you're so desperate to make this up?

The only quote anyone has provided so far (still nothing from you) was an interview from December where he said he wanted to improve on 5-6 "positions" to play the way he wants consistently. Do I really need to keep spelling this out for you?

1. That's not calling anyone crap.
2. He doesn't specify any individual, specific position, or even whether it's starting level or depth he wants to improve. So I don't see how any individual is going to react badly to that.
3. Our performances and results have massively improved since that December interview and there's not even a sniff of disquiet in the squad, so nobody seems to have interpreted it like you want them to have.
4. It's bleeding obvious we need to improve 5-6 positions (at least), and you'd be slaughtering him if he said any different.
5. Again. That's not calling anyone crap.

We done now, or do you want to keep digging?

scytheavatar

Established Member
Jesus christ! In that ten year period we played some of the best football in these shores and was playing yearly in the CL and finishing top 4. Only in the last three years that changed. Even at that in 2016/2017 we finished 5th 1 point behind Liverpool. We finished 5th 2 points behind Chelsea in third. But we hounded those managers out because we thought we deserved better. Funny if Arteta finish 7th this season, the Arteta brigade and the athletic will **** themselves into stupor.

We stopped playing "some of the best football in these shores" since 2015/16, even back then our performance was often poor and our attack often dull. And the quality only got worse since then.

say yes

forum master baiter
We sacked Van Gaal straight after winning the FA Cup. And rightly so - the football was dire.

Hey, let me highlight a few differences between Van Gaal and Arteta for you.

Van GaalArteta
Experienced manager brought in to "win now"Inexperienced manager brought in to develop club in transition
Took over most expensive squad in the league, which had won 5 titles in the last 8 seasons, had finished outside the top 4 once in the last 23 seasons, and (even with Moyes's disasterclass) had averaged 81 points / season in the three seasons before he arrivedTook over a club in 10th place, which hadn't won the title in 16 years, had finished outside the top 4 for three years straight, and which hadn't got over 80 points in the league for over 11 years
Spent £316m, highest in the league Spent £83m, 8th in the league
Won 1 FA CupWon 1 FA Cup, 1 Community Shield, and still in with a chance of the Europa
Given two full seasonsHasn't yet had a full season
Football was direFootball clearly improving

Hope that helps.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Arteta - 'Inexperienced manager brought in to develop club in transition'
think that's the bit that people fundamentally disagree about from when he was appointed to this day :lol:

its hard to change minds as some are happy to put their belief in the guy (like most of the press pool) & have a vision of what he could be one day

others just see an inexperienced manager put in charge at a pivotal point for the club... a transition down the league table at a pretty sharp rate

...not sure either are really wrong... some people also like religion & ****

teamsoutheast

Where comes that idea he prefers 433? He has never used it here. Pep uses it but he wasn't the chief at city.

He could used ESR in 433 alongside Partey and Ceballos but he didn't even tried. Instead he loaned Ødegaard and used him as 10. And of course over played ESR so he is injured now because even me, a person from other side of the world knew that boy is injury prone and needs rest. We are lucky Saka hasn't picked an injury yet.
Arteta was quoted that 4-3-3 was his preferred formation in an interview with a spanish journalist last December:

"For me the way we occupy space and who is going to move in there is more important than the formation".

“And from there we have some very similar players that are not used to play in those positions so we have to keep changing the formation a little bit.

“We want to move to a 4-3-3 but for that, you need a lot of specificity in every position but now in five or six positions, we don’t have it.

“The aggressiveness, the effectiveness, the amount of steals we make in opposition half I think we have been very steady against some big clubs.

“I think that what we miss is in the opponent’s area and the last part of the pitch. We have to find the key in the attack, that last decision, that last pass, that last cross to create a goal situation, a goal, a shot, a corner, etc.”

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Hey, let me highlight a few differences between Van Gaal and Arteta for you.

Van GaalArteta
Experienced manager brought in to "win now"Inexperienced manager brought in to develop club in transition
Took over most expensive squad in the league, which had won 5 titles in the last 8 seasons, had finished outside the top 4 once in the last 23 seasons, and (even with Moyes's disasterclass) had averaged 81 points / season in the three seasons before he arrivedTook over a club in 10th place, which hadn't won the title in 16 years, had finished outside the top 4 for three years straight, and which hadn't got over 80 points in the league for over 11 years
Spent £316m, highest in the leagueSpent £83m, 8th in the league
Won 1 FA CupWon 1 FA Cup, 1 Community Shield, and still in with a chance of the Europa
Given two full seasonsHasn't yet had a full season
Football was direFootball clearly improving

Hope that helps.

No...it doesn't matter how much you spend, the fact one manager has been managing since the 1980s and one just started in 2019, doesn't matter what condition the club is in, the fact one is clearly a project manager while one is close to retirement...none of that matters, everyone should be judged the same!

Sack Arteta, so we can bring in a new manager...then sack the new guy when things stop going perfectly, and get someone else...this system will work!

Legend14

Established Member
Arteta was quoted that 4-3-3 was his preferred formation in an interview with a spanish journalist last December:

"For me the way we occupy space and who is going to move in there is more important than the formation".

“And from there we have some very similar players that are not used to play in those positions so we have to keep changing the formation a little bit.

“We want to move to a 4-3-3 but for that, you need a lot of specificity in every position but now in five or six positions, we don’t have it.

“The aggressiveness, the effectiveness, the amount of steals we make in opposition half I think we have been very steady against some big clubs.

“I think that what we miss is in the opponent’s area and the last part of the pitch. We have to find the key in the attack, that last decision, that last pass, that last cross to create a goal situation, a goal, a shot, a corner, etc.”
Partey plays better with a Partner. We have the personnel for a 4-2-3–1. Why change again to a 4-3-3 and start again?

Legend14

Established Member
My first request of Arteta is to get rid of Xhaka and bellerin upgrade these positions and we'll be in better shape i feel these 2 positions just stopping us playing our offensive game and not to mention both players capable of f**k things up.
Limited players to be sure. Strangely his favorites though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom