• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Rock you in your face, stab your brain with your nose bone
You all alone in these streets, cousin
Every man for they self in this land we be gunning and keep them shook crews running, like they supposed to
They come around but they never come close to
I can see it inside your face, you're in the wrong place
Cowards like you just get they whole body laced up
With bullet holes and such, speak the wrong words man and you will get touched

Superb posting. Anyone who quotes prodigy deserves a pass for still rating Loftus-Cheek.

Kav

Established Member
Yeah quite a bits kicked off since you been gone. Got made trusted and a handful of posters left for a few weeks/month out of frustration at me. I also paid for a new forum for everyone.
So it is you that I must thank? Not sure how @albakos will feel about me giving you his props.
I try to convince myself that you are not as dumb as it seems at first, so will still give it a go and try to explain it, but you probably won't understand what the problem was anyway....
The guy left the club with an enormous wage bill, an old squad, and basically zero top quality players within that squad. Overpaid for literally every contract he signed, average players were on dream contracts end we ended up paying them for years without having any chance to sell them.
1.) Özil, Mustafi, Kolasinac, Elneny, Bellerin - just a few contracts that we couldn't get rid of and were/still are paying for them long after he left.
2.) Ageing squad with Koscienly, Monreal, Cech (who was leaving) - basically our complete defence
3.) Weird investments in 2 CF's who to this day didn't prove they could play together even though we've paid over 120M for them
4.) There was not a single upcoming young player at the club we could've built around, only later Emery added Saka (plus some outside investments in Martinelli and Douzi) and ESR started to play under Arteta

Yes, he left the club in ruins, and yes, we were paying for it long after he left with some heavy investments club needed to do to fix the mess and we've only managed to get rid of some of the contracts this winter, paying almost the full length for them.

Hope I've dumbed it down enough for you

except the didn’t plan to leave the club that way. It is well established that he was fired with a year left on his contract. Who’s to say he wouldn’t have gotten rid of some of the dross or bring in talented players?

Also it is also established that Wenger told Gazidis not to give Özil such a big contract because he knew it would have a negative impact on the wage structure.

Lastly the club was not in ruins when he left. The decision making by those in power is the reason we are where we are today. There has been a scatter gun approach to the development of the team over the last almost 3 years. There has been over 20 players coming in and over a dozen have gone out since then. That’s not down to Wenger that’s down to whoever claims they are technical director/sports director etc.

The Emery and Arteta management teams could have gotten rid of some of those players you mentioned but has not but I don’t hear you slagging them off. If you’re going to criticize at least try to appear objective.

Yes Wenger made some decisions I wish that he didn’t (Mustafi and Xhaka) but no one can put the current state of affairs on him. In fact if he had not done such a stellar job the club wouldn’t have had over a hundred million pounds in the bank to call on when Covid came around.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Hard to know which u-turn I’m going to enjoy more.

People accepting they gave up too quickly on Micky Arteta as his Arsenal side romp to their first title since 2004, or @Trilly admitting he’s doing the rounds in a pair of swanky bootcuts.

2021 is going to be a hell of a year.
Remember when me @Tir Na Nog @Makingtrax @hydrofluoric acid etc wanted Arteta and you with @Jury got your knickers in a twist over it.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
I loved Arsène for all those years of top 4, and exciting football. I supported Unai when he came 5th, I'm critical of Arteta for being mid table.

Can you see the pattern?
And I desagree a lot with you when you supported Emery and now I agree in the criticism about Arteta. So is ok, we are entitled not have opinions and arguments. At the end I want Ten Hag but I know it's not realistic. This board doesn't.operate like that.

Actually this time I give the merits to Chelsea for having the balls to fire his legend and go for Tuchel.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
It's a damn shame. If we know the inevitable, why persist and ruin next season too? I'm become pessimistic as an Arsenal supporter now and I hate it. I always go into every season with teh delusion of winning the league.

I've become a realist now as it's hard to see us winning anything when we play such an awful style and continue with the same ****.
This is exactly my thoughts. I don't want to ruin another summer. I will give the summer to Erik Ten Hag so he has more time to work with. Sometimes you just need to be ruthless and go for the better short chance is there outside.

Remember when me @Tir Na Nog @Makingtrax @hydrofluoric acid etc wanted Arteta and you with @Jury got your knickers in a twist over it.

I think managers need to get more time. I'm not really invested anymore in if the manager should be sacked or not or what manager should come in next. I let you drama queens fight about that. But until we are ready to give the manager 3-5 years with a lot of up and downs to shape the team and work it, nothing will change.

GDeep™

League is very weak
And I desagree a lot with you when you supported Emery and now I agree in the criticism about Arteta. So is ok, we are entitled not have opinions and arguments. At the end I want Ten Hag but I know it's not realistic. This board doesn't.operate like that.

Actually this time I give the merits to Chelsea for having the balls to fire his legend and go for Tuchel.
Even Chelsea waited into the 2nd season before they sacked Lampard. If we sack Arteta next season we’ll be doing the same.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I think managers need to get more time. I'm not really invested anymore in if the manager should be sacked or not or what manager should come in next. I let you drama queens fight about that. But until we are ready to give the manager 3-5 years with a lot of up and downs to shape the team and work it, nothing will change.
No manager gets 3-5 years. Today you get 1-2 seasons to show something or it’s goodbye.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yes and that's why we won't move forward any time soon.
If he can keep us in the top 6 in those 3-5 years then the club might be Willing to be patient with him. It's not ideal but it's the reality. A club like Arsenal will struggle with the financial ramifications of finishing midtable for 3-5 years.

It's just so bizarre that are willing to give Arteta more time for finish midtable in multiple seasons but the fans were screaming for the head of the two last managers that finished 5th and 6th.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The standards at Arsenal are very low. Even top 6 next season will be considered a success and give Arteta a 3rd season.
Ancelotti finishing 10th will be deemed unacceptable in a club like Everton who clearly don't have better players than us.

People are comparing us to Hodgson's Liverpool and Dalglish's Liverpool but I'm afraid we're much worse.

Last edited:

Kav

Established Member
I don’t mind people liking Arteta or even wanting to give him enough time to make an impact on the club. What I do mind is the constant shifting of goal posts and the hypocrisy with respect to the standards of the club. Some get criticized for far less than what has transpired under Arteta’s reign yet the excuses for him are countless.

By no ordinary metric is the performance of the team this season to be considered acceptable. We have not improved under Arteta on a whole. We have gone backwards. Now I don’t expect him gone before the end of the season but I also don’t believe he has the skills to do better than he’s doing right now. Which means the same issues will arise again next season and we will be in a similarly problematic position and have to fire him.

So that begs the question why waste time on mediocrity?

Top Bottom