• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Had an awful dream where I called Mikel out in front of a load of people, said it like it is and had a really heated discussion. He started crying and then told me both his parents died and then we went on to watch Arsenal lose 3-0 in some game in school cages where the opposition were trying to actively lose. :lol:

Anyway I felt awful once I woke up and now I really just want him to succeed, maybe this dream has changed my opinion on him.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Had an awful dream where I called Mikel out in front of a load of people, said it like it is and had a really heated discussion. He started crying and then told me both his parents died and then we went on to watch Arsenal lose 3-0 in some game in school cages where the opposition were trying to actively lose. :lol:

Anyway I felt awful once I woke up and now I really just want him to succeed, maybe this dream has changed my opinion on him.

Not the most typical way to become Arteta In...but I will take it!

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

WTF is that post? I don't agree with with @say yes but at least there's a half intelligent discussion going on about football, spending and the position of Arteta in the league ffs.

This forum needs to rethink it's trusted status. :lol: You've been bribing the mods.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I just think in the transitional state we are at hiring a manager like Arteta was a mistake we will pay for.

We needed a squad building manager who could get the maximum out of less. Someone that would allow the club to sign unpolished players and take them a step further either for profit or squad improvement (which I don’t think you can do with Mikel for reasons I’ve stated many times).

Instead we have a novice who openly states he doesn’t have the right players and we’ve never been a club that spends loads.

Instead of giving minutes to players with more upside we persist some that aren’t going anywhere (Xhaka, Willian even Luiz to an extent). Giving minutes to younger players would have been easy to do since this was a throw away season.

A lot more people than I thought are willing to sit through this as well. If it was a case of simply buying the best players possible then why Arteta? I just don’t get it.
I think if Arteta fails, someone above him has to be fired. someone must have said listen i know we will need complete overhaul and we gonna enter a transition. And most will say you need someone who has experience to turn this club around. But lets take a chance on a manager who has never managed a club. And that person must have sold them arteta. Cause the appointment was always gonna be either genius(small chance) or complete failure(big chance)

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

WTF is that post? I don't agree with with @say yes but at least there's a half intelligent discussion going on about football, spending and the position of Arteta in the league ffs.

This forum needs to rethink it's trusted status. :lol:

Just sharing my dream, was weird as f*ck and now I feel guilty attacking the man. Can't wait for Thursday.

say yes

forum master baiter
There’s only a £200m gap between all the clubs outside the top 8. That’s the same gap between City spending 1st and United 2nd. That means there’s 12 clubs pretty much bunched on similar spending.

The top 8 it rises exponentially arriving at City. So those 8, Leicester, Sp**s, Everton, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, United, City, have an ever increasing advantage over the rest.

The gap is actually growing not diminishing and it’s a function of mathematics. 2015/16 City was spending around £450m and the bottom club around £50m. That’s 9 times the difference. Now City are spending around £1bn and the bottom £100m, that’s 10 times. Not much in it you might say. But now let’s look at the difference. In 2015/16 it was £400m, but in 20/21 its £900m. That’s a lot of extra player quality right there.

The league is getting easier for the top clubs and all these record number of points and longest winning streaks are showing it.

3-A7-A929-D-242-F-4411-BE46-6723-C2-D73659.jpg
What's this table / those numbers @Makingtrax ?

You've said that City are spending about £1bn and the bottom club £100m. Based on what? If it's total spend over e.g. a 10y period, it's not showing the current trend of spend over the last few years is it? E.g. the current bottom club (Sheffield United) have spent £121m in the last two years; City £304m. That's a significant gap, but it's not 10x as much, and surely you appreciate the marginal gain of spend decreases the higher those figures go.

More importantly, I was talking about the degree of spend within the league and, in particular, the top 10, not the ratio of spend between 1 vs 20. I will assume you've misread me, rather than being disingenuous by diverting down that tangent.

On which note, I asked a simple question which you haven't answered - do you agree that squad cost applies to clubs in the league outside the top 6? And do you therefore agree that the quality of the league is increasing year-on-year at the moment given how much the lower clubs are spending? Again, there is nothing controversial in there (I hope).

mpower2540

The Burnley game may have broken me. I got some hope that we could finish in a Europe spot when we beat Leicester with quite a good game, but the Burnley game was back to being completely sh*te. Of course, it's not Arteta's fault that Xhaka had one of his blinders, but the team just completely fell apart after that moment, while we should've been 2 or 3-0 up.

I said in the Pepe thread watch him being binned after putting in a motm performance and of course Arteta stuck with Willian, who did **** all in the game except for a nondescript pass that became an assist.

I was in the 'give Arteta the season'-camp, and then decide at the end of the season whether our game had improved enough to stick with him. Now I'm just hoping we somehow manage to get a spot in one of the European cups and just sack him and go for a Tuchel type trainer if one becomes available (or get Ten Hag). I don't see enough improvement and I see him binning the future prospects for aging clowns and I've had enough.
This seems to have been part of the Arsenal DNA for ages, particularly away from home. When things are easy we can look great but the minute the pressure intensifies, particularly away from home we’ve got this ingrained idiocy about us.

I’ve never seen a team as good as us in making the simple look difficult or turn control into collapse. This needs fixing badly.

I always think back to the Bayern away game in 2017, went in at half time 1-1, well in the game and inexplicably went and conceded another 4 goals!! The utter stupidity that we’ve displayed over the years is so infuriating and we never seem to be able to fix it!!

Riou

We need to settle the debate..."Is the Prremier League getting stronger or weaker?"

We need every poster to say what they think is the greatest Premiership season ever is, in their opinion, it's the only fair way...based on quality of teams, how difficult it was to win, player/manager quality etc.

Think I should make the thread, as that would annoy everyone the most!

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

You seen what Baleciagas are bringing back?
:shivering:

Yeah for women.

Ignoring whatever magazine or brand is trying to push for clicks, if in 2021 any heterosexual male leaves the home in bootcuts it will cause instant vaginal dryness and ridicule from everyone you meet.

Try telling a laughing tube that “GQ or Balenciaga says they’re cool” I beg.

say yes

forum master baiter
We need to settle the debate..."Is the Prremier League getting stronger or weaker?"

We need every poster to say what they think is the greatest Premiership season ever is, in their opinion, it's the only fair way...based on quality of teams, how difficult it was to win, player/manager quality etc.

Think I should make the thread, as that would annoy everyone the most!
The average quality - mean and median is clearly stronger, and getting stronger every year. Top 4 has become a top 6, is becoming a top 7 and (with Everton and Aston Villa now having sugar daddies) turning into an increasingly competitive top 10. It's inevitable as the PL continues to hoover up all the world's top talent, outspending most of the other leagues combined. Exactly what you'd expect to happen when massive wealth meets an international supply of very good players.

The range is a slightly different picture. We curently have 1-2 absolutely elite clubs (City and formerly Liverpool) who have hit the sweet spot of world-class managers and incredible (expensive) squads; they beat up everyone. And we also have a soft bottom half of clubs who don't spend much and yo-yo between the divisions. My prediction would be that soft under-belly gradually shrinking as the money continues to flow down the league. Clubs like West Ham, Leeds and Wolves all have the capability to establish themselves as more competitive fixtures, in which case the top 10 becomes more of a top 12 and so on and so forth. Although I suppose the relegation carousel will ensure there are always about 5 (if not more) weaker clubs at the bottom.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

giphy.gif

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
The average quality - mean and median is clearly stronger, and getting stronger every year. Top 4 has become a top 6, is becoming a top 7 and (with Everton and Aston Villa now having sugar daddies) turning into an increasingly competitive top 10. It's inevitable as the PL continues to hoover up all the world's top talent, outspending most of the other leagues combined. Exactly what you'd expect to happen when massive wealth meets an international supply of very good players.
We still have a top 4 budget, so somebody is underperforming at the club, it's either manager or people doing business

Reactions: Kav

say yes

forum master baiter
We still have a top 4 budget, so somebody is underperforming at the club, it's either manager or people doing business
We have underperformed this season but we don't have a top 4 budget. We're 5th/6th with Sp**s.

City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool have all spent much more than us recently and will presumably continue to do so.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐

Stay away from dairy.

Riou

I don't mind weird dreams/nightmares, tbh...it's when you're just going to fall asleep, then your brain reminds you of something embarrasing you did when you were about 10, that ****ing sucks!

Kav

Established Member
The entire league is stacked with talent, and it's getting stronger every year. The big 4 is now undeniably a big 6. How long before Leicester make it an official big 7? Then you have clubs like Everton and Villa who are spending heavily and have some fantastic players. Wolves with their agent connections etc.

The so called big 6 is merely an extension of the original top 4 ( Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and Us). The only reason the big six term was created was because Liverpool had been so poor for many years that they were constantly finishing outside of the top 4 and the media wanted to include them in their hype of the league and promoting the so called best teams in it. They added City and Sp**s only because they couldn’t ignore them while Liverpool was being that bad. It really isn’t about performance when it comes to these monikers but more about institutional success.

However in terms of consistent top performances over the last 20+ years there have only been 3 teams ( Man U , Chelsea and Us ).

There have always been competitive clubs who push the top teams for a season or two, in the past it was Blackburn, Newcastle, Leeds, Aston Villa (Martin O’Neil) and Everton (moyes). This is nothing new. The league has always been competitive.

The major difference is at the top end in terms of quality. There are a lot more rubbish teams and a lot more rubbish players in the league now than say 10 years ago and that is because the fixture list requires teams to have bigger squads which invariably means less quality as they try to Have cover for all positions.

I don’t see where the actual fight for the title has been competitive between the teams recently either with the exception of the 2018/19 season it’s been a walk for whoever wins each year. Does that make it less competitive?

Also over the last decade it has been the same set of teams qualifying for most of the European competitions. Surely if it was as competitive as you say we would have had more teams breaking into the European competitions than the odd occasions with Leicester and Wolves.

There is also one phenomenon that a lot of posters are ignoring. The advent of the mega TV deals that have allowed the PL clubs to get significant income. This has allowed the smaller clubs to spend more than they usually have but also allowed the bigger clubs to increase their spending gap over the smaller clubs. In theory it should make the league more competitive but the practical effect is that it strengthens the disparity between the Successful sides and the rest that are there to make up the numbers.

Last edited:

Latest posts+

Top Bottom