• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Fighting Until The End

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

...funny and true...Arteta likes to micro manage everything, all managers seem to these days, don't really enjoy that emphasis tbh...wonder if having to deal with characters like Henry, Vieira, Bergkamp, Lehmann would bring the best or worst out of Mikel...would he relax a bit, let the players get more creative freedom?

We still have some good players, but you look at our squad, pretty much everyone would follow everything he says...would love to see him tell someone like Jens to go short no matter what :lol:

I guess if you're good enough, he's quiet. Personally I think Arteta seems more vocal when we are losing (think City). Games where we were coasting he lets them get on with it. I suspect it's intense for anyone who plays on that side, but Saka insists that's not the case. Xhaka recently echoed similar sentiments about freedom.

Worth pointing out, James McNicholas from The Athletic on Leno playing out from the back:

Leno has had to adapt somewhat to Arteta’s style of playing — but there have also been signs that Arteta has been adapting to him. Rather than the dogmatic adherence to playing short passes out from the back, Leno is now permitted to look long. Against Southampton and United, Nicolas Pepe has been the unlikely target of Leno’s long passes. It has brought variety to Arsenal’s approach and granted them another tool to escape the opposition press.

It's worth noting Xhaka called for that ball, but it's a dead horse now.

Not to extend my post even further but it's an interesting talking point you bring up. I remember Keown and Lee Dixon explaining they had license to change tactics on the fly sometimes under their previous managers (including Wenger). Just depends on the relationship you have I guess.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

If Mikel Arteta can divide the fanbase this much. God help us if we sign Simeone or Joe Kinnear...

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

10th in the league but we only lost 1-0 to City.

giphy.webp

blaze_of_glory

Hard to see the club letting him go though after all the talk about him being the project, etc.

Then again, not like Arsenal has any problems signaling one thing and doing another these days.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Hard to see the club letting him go though after all the talk about him being the project, etc.

Then again, not like Arsenal has any problems signaling one thing and doing another these days.

Super League expected to come in 2025. Being midtable for 3 seasons may pose a cashflow and marketting problem. I still don't see him being sacked before 2022.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I wonder if Arteta could have managed "characters" like the ones in our Invicible team?

@Mrs Bergkamp brought up in the Leno thread, it got me thinking...

"I'm definitely not blaming Leno but I do think it's (another) a wake up call for all our players when they see certain team mates in certain situations. Jens in that situation probably smashes the ball at Xhaka's face and catches the rebound"

...funny and true...Arteta likes to micro manage everything, all managers seem to these days, don't really enjoy that emphasis tbh...wonder if having to deal with characters like Henry, Vieira, Bergkamp, Lehmann would bring the best or worst out of Mikel...would he relax a bit, let the players get more creative freedom?

We still have some good players, but you look at our squad, pretty much everyone would follow everything he says...would love to see him tell someone like Jens to go short no matter what :lol:

Hopefully Partey can become someone like this, we need players on the pitch who are prepared to change it up, as sometimes matches can be decided by trying something different.
Our Invincbles had the power to speak with one voice and command the respect and obedience of lesser team members. Wenger did well to keep them together as long as he did tbh. There's a hint that Arteta doesn't like dissenters and all managers want respect but it has to be earned. Arteta was not a legendary player and has a zero cv as a manager. The players seem to be in their shells because they fear he'll be backed over all of them. Or more worryingly, they actually rate him. In the Leno/Xhaka scenario, Leno could have hoofed it. You clear your lines and explain to Arteta that we couldn't safely beat the press. Who will Leno be dropped for? Ryan and Runarsson lol. He's safe now Emi is at Villa. Tierney, Auba, Saka and Partey are pretty much undroppable. That core of five players should be strong enough to challenge Arteta-not his authority but the way they express themselves on the pitch in certain moments. I don't want the dressing room to turn on him but a room full of yes men Xhaka's will keep us in the gutter.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Our Invincbles had the power to speak with one voice and command the respect and obedience of lesser team members. Wenger did well to keep them together as long as he did tbh. There's a hint that Arteta doesn't like dissenters and all managers want respect but it has to be earned. Arteta was not a legendary player and has a zero cv as a manager. The players seem to be in their shells because they fear he'll be backed over all of them. Or more worryingly, they actually rate him. In the Leno/Xhaka scenario, Leno could have hoofed it. You clear your lines and explain to Arteta that we couldn't safely beat the press. Who will Leno be dropped for? Ryan and Runarsson lol. He's safe now Emi is at Villa. Tierney, Auba, Saka and Partey are pretty much undroppable. That core of five players should be strong enough to challenge Arteta-not his authority but the way they express themselves on the pitch in certain moments. I don't want the dressing room to turn on him but a room full of yes men Xhaka's will keep us in the gutter.

Bingo.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻

I guess if you're good enough, he's quiet. Personally I think Arteta seems more vocal when we are losing (think City). Games where we were coasting he lets them get on with it. I suspect it's intense for anyone who plays on that side, but Saka insists that's not the case. Xhaka recently echoed similar sentiments about freedom.

Worth pointing out, James McNicholas from The Athletic on Leno playing out from the back:

It's worth noting Xhaka called for that ball, but it's a dead horse now.

Not to extend my post even further but it's an interesting talking point you bring up. I remember Keown and Lee Dixon explaining they had license to change tactics on the fly sometimes under their previous managers (including Wenger). Just depends on the relationship you have I guess.
Good points. I'm not sure how secure the players feel in their relationship with Arteta. With Saka, his talent was clear and maybe allowed to develop organically without over coaching. Xhaka is a yes man. The freedom in our play has come from having more ballers on the pitch and Arteta's desperation to halt a non winning run. Every player has licence to think for himself but I wonder if the early power struggle has a lot of our players afraid to do anything other than follow his instructions to the letter.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
They won't sack Arteta. Maybe this time next season he'll be sacked but not now.

KSE is balls deep in project Arteta.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Arteta was not a legendary player and has a zero cv as a manager. The players seem to be in their shells because they fear he'll be backed over all of them. Or more worryingly, they actually rate him.
I see a lot of this myself, but it's very hard to prove without someone outright saying it.
But yeah, not just you noticing it.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

They won't sack Arteta. Maybe this time next season he'll be sacked but not now.

KSE is balls deep in project Arteta.
That grim reminder of our finances explains how he survived 2020 tbh. Hiring and sacking our managers cost 10m alone and our income streams have decreased across the board.

If Arteta wasn't completely untouchable like some said, for me he would be easier to deal with. I don't rate him at all but doesn't mean I hate him.

Arsenal Quotes

Nobody has enough talent to live on talent alone. Even when you have talent, a life without work goes nowhere

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom