• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Surely you'd expect that, player prices have rocketed in the last few years.

If virtually every teams squad investment has more than doubled in the last 5 years. You'll have to explain to me how that gives the lower teams an advantage over 5 years ago.
I never said it gives them an advantage? The initial point was just that more money in the game meant that talent was spread more throughout the division, which meant that games against the "lesser" sides were more difficult.

Iceman10

Established Member
I never said it gives them an advantage? The initial point was just that more money in the game meant that talent was spread more throughout the division, which meant that games against the "lesser" sides were more difficult.

The prize money for the PL flattened out about five seasons back with the latest round of broadcasting rights and that’s what allowed clubs like Wolves and Aston Villa to spend a lot more, despite FFP. They obviously would have had less expensive assets on their books to start off with also so clearing deadwood probably wasn’t as much an issue as it would be at bigger clubs.

This below I think is the structure of awards for the 2018/19 season. A pretty flat structure.

11154AD3-77CF-4AA1-97AF-2830F210CA85.jpeg

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
You appoint a rookie manager based on where you think he'll have you in 3-4 years.

The thing still is though: What's a rookie manager? I'd say someone who's maybe coached a team for a year or two, or someone who maybe has never coached a first team before, but has massive experience in youth coaching or as an assistant. Arteta had nothing of the sorts. This appoinment is still just flashy and a lot of good will.

say yes

forum master baiter
The thing still is though: What's a rookie manager? I'd say someone who's maybe coached a team for a year or two, or someone who maybe has never coached a first team before, but has massive experience in youth coaching or as an assistant. Arteta had nothing of the sorts. This appoinment is still just flashy and a lot of good will.
Think you might be over-complicating the meaning of 'rookie manager' a bit Toby.

Toby

Not everyday blame Xhaka/Willian/Bellerin. Especially when there have been alternatives all season - a season where there was no pressure to win anything and Arteta could have easily developed players for the seasons after or at least generated players sales to aid us in the transfer market.

That's actually a very valid and important point. It's clear Arteta didn't set out to have this season as some sort of nothing matters but getting to know the squad, developing players and tactics and then attack top 4 or something next season. The guy lured Willian with the promise of a CL in the next 3 years. And he's miserably failed at getting this squad competetive for this season which clearly was his target going by his signings, words and lineups.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I don't see the logic of that bro. If the average squad investment has doubled and average player prices has doubled in the last 5 years. It should make lower teams easier to beat. And the recent breaking records of 21 unbeaten wins for City and two years of title winners getting 99 points and 98 points seems to show that's true.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Step back a bit and realise this is just part of a reaction to some Arteta-Out [Mod Edit: any need for that word?] here who just want to stop conversation and observations of Arteta outside their narratives. It is very obvious who these people are, including some who overtly keep protesting that they don’t have an agenda when they so clearly do.

Whatever the “inevitability” of Josh et al. decisions are does not stop my observations, good and bad, of Arteta, as we go along.

Edit: ok mods, “keyboard warriors” would have sufficed.

Well yeah sure, we're fans. We're going to get annoyed about Arsenal being 10th. That's totally normal.

I was just trying to say that Josh, Edu, Vinai's reputations (and in probably 2 of their cases jobs) are intrinsically linked to Arteta's tenure and it's success or failure. It was a big gamble appointing a novice. They're going to give him every chance to be a success.

Arteta succeeding is a win for them, career and reputation wise.
Arteta failing will be a black mark on their reputation.

How they view Arteta and how leniant they're going to be with him is likely very different to your average Arsenal fan. I think some fans struggle to accept that for whatever reason.

PS- I wish I'd have seen your post before the ninja mod edit :lol:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
I don't see the logic of that bro. If the average squad investment has doubled and average player prices has doubled in the last 5 years. It'll make lower teams easier to beat. And the recent breaking records of 21 unbeaten wins for City and two years of title winners getting 99 points and 98 points seems to show that's true.
How? They're spending more and signing more expensive players themselves.

Toby

Think you might be over-complicating the meaning of 'rookie manager' a bit Toby.

Nah. Everyone has a starting point, sure. But if we're being honest here there's very, very few managers who've never actually managed before taking over a top flight team.
Sarri is e.g. the extreme opposite example to Guardiola, Zidane or Pirlo who had the advantage of household names in the football world. And Pirlo is a good example of this strategy not working out. Or Lampard. Klopp never managed before taking over Mainz, but if my memory isn't completely off he took them over in the 2. Bundesliga. And handing over a 2. Bundesliga club which happened to be playing in the top flight some times is different than handing someone without any prior experience a PL top 4 club.

We had this thing even before Emery took over and Arteta was in the running back then, people mentioned guys like Nagelsmann, Rose, etc. etc. at that time and labelled them rookies, but these guys have around 10 years in youth coaching which at least is some tangent to go off in determining whether someone could be a good hire. Someone like that's a rookie to me. Arteta, Zidane, Guardiola - they were blank pages. And in somce cases that gamble pays off, in some it doesn't. But it's exactly that, a gamble.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom