• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Houssem Aouar

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 8,500
  • Views 941,574
Status
Not open for further replies.

teamsoutheast

Wouldn't we then have to get another DM if Aouar played CM, I presume in a 3 with Partey?
No. I would say Xhaka would look alot better with 2 mobile midfielders playing alongside him. Partey is a 'complete midfielder' IMO who can attack and defend similar to Michael Essien. Look at how good Rodri looks with the mobile and highly technical Gundogan and/or De Bruyne/Bernado Silva alongside him.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
No. I would say Xhaka would look alot better with 2 mobile midfielders playing alongside him. Partey is a 'complete midfielder' IMO who can attack and defend similar to Michael Essien. Look at how good Rodri looks with the mobile and highly technical Gundogan and/or De Bruyne/Bernado Silva alongside him.
Yeah Partey is definitely a box to box, wouldn't want him restricted to DM but despite Xhaka having some decent games by his standards lately, incidents like yesterday show he shouldn't be continually being counted on as a key part of our side. I think you'd have to buy another DM if we where to use Aouar as part of a 3 in midfield.

Goonger

Yeah Partey is definitely a box to box, wouldn't want him restricted to DM but despite Xhaka having some decent games by his standards lately, incidents like yesterday show he shouldn't be continually being counted on as a key part of our side. I think you'd have to buy another DM if we where to use Aouar as part of a 3 in midfield.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want him at the base. Not press resistant enough for me & not mobile enough in the tackle.

teamsoutheast

Xhaka is our best passer. His stats per game are always in the high 80's. It's his job to transition quickly with his wide range of passing, and get the ball to Odegaardso he can create in the final 3rd. Unfrotunately he made a costly mistake yesterday but at the same time, we were once again, not clinical enough in front of goal. I think Arteta's preferred formation is the 4-3-3 but we don't quite have the personnel to play it at this time. The additon of Aouar will allow this.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want him at the base. Not press resistant enough for me & not mobile enough in the tackle.
When Partey came deeper yesterday to get the ball from Leno he looked miles more comfortable at it in comparison with Xhaka. If anything Xhaka looked more comfortable with Partey deeper behind him, so no way would I want Xhaka on his own at the base. You restrict Partey's ability to get forward at the base as well so we'd simply have to buy a DM if we started playing a 3.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Xhaka is our best passer. His stats per game are always in the high 80's. It's his job to transition quickly with his wide range of passing, and get the ball to Odegaardso he can create in the final 3rd. Unfrotunately he made a costly mistake yesterday but at the same time, we were once again, not clinical enough in front of goal. I think Arteta's preferred formation is the 4-3-3 but we don't quite have the personnel to play it at this time. The additon of Aouar will allow this.
DM
Partey - Aouar​

I'd agree that looks good on paper but you'd need to definitely sign a DM. Xhaka not mobile enough for me in that position. I agree he's a good passer when given time but he takes too long on the ball which you simply don't get in this league.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Lyon finishing in top 4 so CL would make it extremely difficult i think he'll end up at PSG

Goonger

When Partey came deeper yesterday to get the ball from Leno he looked miles more comfortable at it in comparison with Xhaka. If anything Xhaka looked more comfortable with Partey deeper behind him, so no way would I want Xhaka on his own at the base. You restrict Partey's ability to get forward at the base as well so we'd simply have to buy a DM if we started playing a 3.

Totally agree. I don't hate on Xhaka like some others do, I think he offers a lot to the team, but he has clear weaknesses. Receiving the ball with his back to play while being pressed 1 of them, trying to tackle as the deepest midfielder another. Having him at the base just amplifies those issues instead of looking to hide them.

Legend14

Established Member
Just sillly to go after Aouar when we have Saka and Pepe, both better players. We are not likely to change the formation for him and Partey needs a defensive partner. Also, the player does not have the attitude or work ethic we want and is significantly over priced. This is just nonsense.

Get a RB, CF, and DM and backup LB. Let’s address our priorities

Zaza

To ESR, definitely not. As I said, he doesn’t play 10 so its useless comparing him to Ødegaard.
Loool how isn't he an upgrade to ESR? You guys are starting to overhype ESR. Ødegaard and Aouar are better 10s than ESR.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Everyone is more comfortable than Xhaka coming deeper to collect the ball. Surely two b2b players and a more creative sort in a 433 would work. Partey and the other b2b would dovetail and take it in turns to move forward. As long as the new b2b is of a similar mould to Partey, we should be fine. We need yo move of for Xhaka. We'll always have to cover for his limitations abd restrict ourselves.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Everyone is more comfortable than Xhaka coming deeper to collect the ball. Surely two b2b players and a more creative sort in a 433 would work. Partey and the other b2b would dovetail and take it in turns to move forward. As long as the new b2b is of a similar mould to Partey, we should be fine. We need yo move of for Xhaka. We'll always have to cover for his limitations abd restrict ourselves.
Of course this is all if we even go to a 433 which I'm not convinced will ever happen. I know Arteta has talked about it but I think I'm right in saying he's only ever tried it once against City last season after lockdown.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Of course this is all if we even go to a 433 which I'm not convinced will ever happen. I know Arteta has talked about it but I think I'm right in saying he's only ever tried it once against City last season after lockdown.
I certainly think we need to have plan b to 4231. Maybe it's just me, but we often seem outnumbered in midfield. Even if one of the front 4 drops back in, a quick counter leaves us scrambling. Slow Xhaka and Ceballos, flailing Elneny and an injured Partey continue to be run through. We need Partey fit and a similar profile to partner him in a two.

Legend14

Established Member
Loool how isn't he an upgrade to ESR? You guys are starting to overhype ESR. Ødegaard and Aouar are better 10s than ESR.
Aouar doesn’t play 10. He played once for France and looked horrible. ESR any day of the week. Not sure why there is any conversation about Aouar. That ship has sailed.

Impact

Established Member
We have looked better since switching to 4-2-3-1 admittedly, but the idea that we are somehow wedded to this system when it is yet to be the conduit for some sustained success is regressive. You keep improving and tweaking until you land on what suits best the manager’s philosophy and the players at his disposal. Arteta has been on record as saying we are working towards and he wants to play a 4-3-3. Aouar would help with that. We can of course retain the ability to use a 4-2-3-1 in certain games too.

Also Partey is a 6 in a midfield trio or a 6/8 in a midfield duo. He has exceptional talent but that doesn’t mean you have to move him forward. He does his best work behind the ball transitioning the game from the first third and to the final third eg what he did in the build up to Auba’s first goal last weekend or one of Auba’s goals against Newcastle at home. You take away his best talent by moving him further forward.

Partey
#8 — #8​

That’s the model to aim for. In the long run Xhaka can form part of the squad but not the starting 11. Add two #8s with the right technical, physical and personality profiles and we are in business. Aouar has shown potential to suggest he can be one of those (at LCM).

Legend14

Established Member
We have looked better since switching to 4-2-3-1 admittedly, but the idea that we are somehow wedded to this system when it is yet to be the conduit for some sustained success is regressive. You keep improving and tweaking until you land on what suits best the manager’s philosophy and the players at his disposal. Arteta has been on record as saying we are working towards and he wants to play a 4-3-3. Aouar would help with that. We can of course retain the ability to use a 4-2-3-1 in certain games too.

Also Partey is a 6 in a midfield trio or a 6/8 in a midfield duo. He has exceptional talent but that doesn’t mean you have to move him forward. He does his best work behind the ball transitioning the game from the first third and to the final third eg what he did in the build up to Auba’s first goal last weekend or one of Auba’s goals against Newcastle at home. You take away his best talent by moving him further forward.

Partey
#8 — #8​

That’s the model to aim for. In the long run Xhaka can form part of the squad but not the starting 11. Add two #8s with the right technical, physical and personality profiles and we are in business. Aouar has shown potential to suggest he can be one of those (at LCM).
So you would basically speculate with a 50m purchase to upend the formation to a 4-3-3 to acommodate him? Do we really want to spend next season with more experiments?

What is your 4-3-3 lineup and how it is significantly better than what we have?

The simpler approach is to improve what we are already doing. Replace Xhaka and get a right back. No need for everyone to learn a new system. Arteta has chosen a system and it seems to fit our personnel.

Impact

Established Member
So you would basically speculate with a 50m purchase to upend the formation to a 4-3-3 to acommodate him? Do we really want to spend next season with more experiments?

What is your 4-3-3 lineup and how it is significantly better than what we have?

The simpler approach is to improve what we are already doing. Replace Xhaka and get a right back. No need for everyone to learn a new system. Arteta has chosen a system and it seems to fit our personnel.

It’s not speculation. Arteta has said he wants to play 4-3-3. He has also said we do not currently have the personnel to do so. So Edu’s job is to buy quality players that fit and Aouar suits that mould.

Legend14

Established Member
It’s not speculation. Arteta has said he wants to play 4-3-3. He has also said we do not currently have the personnel to do so. So Edu’s job is to buy quality players that fit and Aouar suits that mould.
He said that at the beginning of the season and has not said it since. Basically, this sounds like Aouar propaganda again. You have not given us anything that supports what you think will happen and why it should happen. The player does not fit Arsenal and Arsenal are not in for him.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Incredible player, was my main target in the summer as I thought Ødegaard was unavailable due to his 2 year loan at Sociedad.

The rumours around us trying to buy him but him holding out for a better team and bigger deal have kind of put me off, though. If there's truth to it I think we better steer clear. I think our team is mentally weak and I want us to get players who really want to play for the team and have the mentality to buckle down and take the team by the scruff of the neck. Obviously, that's not normally the creative player in a squad, but I'm a little concerned he's a bit of a primadonna based on those rumours. Might be wrong, though.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Incredible player, was my main target in the summer as I thought Ødegaard was unavailable due to his 2 year loan at Sociedad.

The rumours around us trying to buy him but him holding out for a better team and bigger deal have kind of put me off, though. If there's truth to it I think we better steer clear. I think our team is mentally weak and I want us to get players who really want to play for the team and have the mentality to buckle down and take the team by the scruff of the neck. Obviously, that's not normally the creative player in a squad, but I'm a little concerned he's a bit of a primadonna based on those rumours. Might be wrong, though.

Depends how you look at it, maybe he's a primadonna, maybe he believes in his ability and wants to play at the top. Do you want players are who just happy to play for Arsenal and would never push to leave, or do you want talented players who want to win?

I'd argue our problem in the last decade is not enough of our players have pushed to leave for bigger clubs, it means our quality has declined and our players are just happy to be here. I'd rather have better players who play well and force their way out than guys like Elneny who are just thrilled to be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom