• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Yeah he may not be the world's best at that but he is head and shoulders above any player in our team in that aspect. The style you call chaotic is the only lively thing in this dead football we play.

I just don't see it man. I don't think he is that exciting to watch when he tries those things as he slows the game down. He doesn't have the genius of a Neymar or even Ben Arfa to really pull it off consistently with precision and flair. Alexis Sanchez was frustrating to watch at times like Pepe, but he had such a big personality. He was never afraid to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and just dominate. It made his flaws more tolerable.

Moah

I just don't see it man. I don't think he is that exciting to watch when he tries those things as he slows the game down. He doesn't have the genius of a Neymar or even Ben Arfa to really pull it off consistently with precision and flair. Alexis Sanchez was frustrating to watch at times like Pepe, but he had such a big personality. He was never afraid to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and just dominate. It made his flaws more tolerable.
I get what you are saying. But for me he is a totally different type of player to those you mentioned. I can't think of any other player with similiar style to him so I can't give you the best comparison. Maybe the fact that he was a GK until he was 14 made him different but I love the way he plays, its just my personal preference.

People may not like him or the way he plays but as long as he is producing the goals and chances he deserves to start.

Playing your favorites and not rewarding your in form players always backfires on the manager, but I doubt that is the case with Arteta because I have never seen him being held accountable for his decisions.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Seeing and hearing so much justification for why Willian is starting ahead of Pepe. He is right footed, his assists, he can cross, he does what the manager is told. The one that really annoys me is that he takes up positions and links play in a way Pepe cant.

Willian is doing such an average, basic job. It's such an insult to Pepe to say he cant do the bare minimum, because that is what Willian is doing. He cant link with Tierney because he is left footed? He was putting Cedric through repeatedly on the left. He has barely had game time with Tierney. He keeps getting stuck with Bellerin.

Our eyes and underlying metrics do not deceive us. Arteta is acting like we are stupid. Willian is playing better? Yes he is, but he set the bar so low that anything is an improvement. He has the most assists? Again another dumb statistic. When you look at underlying metrics, he is behind all of our attacking players and even Cedric in terms of expected assists. It's just Arteta trying to play his boy.

The joke is, the evidence of Pepe improving is everywhere. Statistically and visually. How can he come on the pitch for 9 minutes and be one of the most dangerous players? It's because he is actually our most dangerous player. More dangerous that even Saka currently. He is in form. The fact that he is in form and we are not giving him consecutive games is just stupid. Eventually his head will drop, he will then be put in the team and he won't perform, and Arteta will use it as a told you so moment, which Willian puts all his average performances in.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

The fact that he is in form and we are not giving him consecutive games is just stupid. Eventually his head will drop, he will then be put in the team and he won't perform, and Arteta will use it as a told you so moment, which Willian puts all his average performances in.
This is the most frustrating thing about it. His haters who bizarrely think he’s Sanogo will lap it up too but whatever.

The chaotic comment along with insinuating he’s incapable of linking up with team mates is insulting - but typical of this forum.

He reminds me of Mahrez (who loses the ball tons btw), but mostly in that they are very productive when they do play, but for whatever reason they just don’t hang onto their spot.

Maybe Arteta sees him in the same way I guess.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
This is the most frustrating thing about it. His haters who bizarrely think he’s Sanogo will lap it up too but whatever.
You always have to accept the fact that some people still think that the Earth is flat, so the comparisons with Gervinho and Sanogo will always be there, there were people criticizing Cazorla for being too small for a midfielder so by now we should have a better understanding of what to filter on the forum from relevant content and rubbish.
I always laugh when people make fun of him being a goalkeeper until he was 14, if anything, it only proves he is an insane talent to go from a goalkeeper at 14 to Arsenal's first team.

Mahrez and Zaha comparisons are always legit, all 3 of them lose the ball often because they try risky moves, although I think Pepe and Zaha lose the ball a bit more often than Mahrez. It's still interesting though because Mahrez was more or less a starter at City, so I guess Arteta can't stand Pepe on a personal level, not because of the way he plays, his turnovers are just an excuse to drop him

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Whilst Pepe still has the odd turnover he’s largely cut that out of his game too, he just passes it backwards now.

Saka and Willian statistically “concede possession” more than Pepe in recent games but I think crosses that go to nobody contribute to that number I’m unsure.

It’s a weird one but happens all the time in football. It’s clear Arteta has certain preferences and us guys in the Pepe hive will just have to deal unfortunately.

Kysus

Even though it is frustrating me a lot I fully understand Willian ahead of Pepe from a balance standpoint.
A "possession player" on one wing and a "direct attacker" on the other is what Wenger prefered as well, Guardiola does too.
Saka and Pepe at the same time looks exciting but we clearly would lose control. It's probably something we see if we expect to get dominated and have to counter-attack more.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Even though it is frustrating me a lot I fully understand Willian ahead of Pepe from a balance standpoint.
A "possession player" on one wing and a "direct attacker" on the other is what Wenger prefered as well, Guardiola does too.
Saka and Pepe at the same time looks exciting but we clearly would lose control. It's probably something we see if we expect to get dominated and have to counter-attack more.

Saka can play the Willian role better than Willian. Saka has dipped in form the last few games and he is also being targeted. Having Saka to balance out Willian makes more sense. Tierney and Sak also combine really well. It showed vs City.

Kysus

Saka can play the Willian role better than Willian. Saka has dipped in form the last few games and he is also being targeted. Having Saka to balance out Willian makes more sense. Tierney and Sak also combine really well. It showed vs City.
They are very different players though.
Saka is always driving forward and extremely progressive with his dribbling, but not much of a passer.
Willian is a possession player that keeps the team ticking. Moves into space, receives the ball and moves it on. He can beat players but generally does choose other options. He rarely ever loses the ball and players like that are necessary if you want to dominate and control the game.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
I get what you are saying. But for me he is a totally different type of player to those you mentioned. I can't think of any other player with similiar style to him so I can't give you the best comparison. Maybe the fact that he was a GK until he was 14 made him different but I love the way he plays, its just my personal preference.

People may not like him or the way he plays but as long as he is producing the goals and chances he deserves to start.

Playing your favorites and not rewarding your in form players always backfires on the manager, but I doubt that is the case with Arteta because I have never seen him being held accountable for his decisions.

I don't rate Arteta very highly as a manager, but I am willing to give him a break cause of Covid and hopefully this summer he can sign more players that fit his vision and system. The Willian deal does seem very shady, especially with the relationship Kia has with Edu.

I don't really care about any agenda, just want Arsenal to perform at a high level consistently, playing great football and dominating again, so I can banter Man United, Chelsea and Sp**s. That's all I really care about.

I legit don't rate 90 percent of this current squad. I think Pepe has potential to be an end product machine, but still don't see him as that player that can be the talisman which is what I was hoping for when we signed him as the most expensive transfer in club history.

Even rival fans were jealous. Thought he would be one of those players every opposition feared to go up against. Just like Arsenal fans **** themselves anytime we played Chelsea when Hazard was there.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Willian is doing such an average, basic job. It's such an insult to Pepe to say he cant do the bare minimum, because that is what Willian is doing. He cant link with Tierney because he is left footed? He was putting Cedric through repeatedly on the left. He has barely had game time with Tierney. He keeps getting stuck with Bellerin.

Our eyes and underlying metrics do not deceive us. Arteta is acting like we are stupid. Willian is playing better? Yes he is, but he set the bar so low that anything is an improvement. He has the most assists? Again another dumb statistic. When you look at underlying metrics, he is behind all of our attacking players and even Cedric in terms of expected assists. It's just Arteta trying to play his boy.

The joke is, the evidence of Pepe improving is everywhere. Statistically and visually. How can he come on the pitch for 9 minutes and be one of the most dangerous players? It's because he is actually our most dangerous player.

Well I'm glad someone said it.

You know what? I bet if Pepe was starting every week and putting in the performances he has done recently, nobody would be saying "oh but actually Willian would probably suit us better".

It's like, what does that even mean, what is Willian doing that Pepe is now not offering? Link up play, Pepe is doing it, creating chances...well the man is scoring lol. The best example is the contrast between Willian and Pepe in the Burnley game, as soon as Pepe came on we started looking more dangerous, sure he fluffed the ball when in the box but he was atleast in that position.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

You always have to accept the fact that some people still think that the Earth is flat, so the comparisons with Gervinho and Sanogo will always be there, there were people criticizing Cazorla for being too small for a midfielder so by now we should have a better understanding of what to filter on the forum from relevant content and rubbish.
I always laugh when people make fun of him being a goalkeeper until he was 14, if anything, it only proves he is an insane talent to go from a goalkeeper at 14 to Arsenal's first team.

Mahrez and Zaha comparisons are always legit, all 3 of them lose the ball often because they try risky moves, although I think Pepe and Zaha lose the ball a bit more often than Mahrez. It's still interesting though because Mahrez was more or less a starter at City, so I guess Arteta can't stand Pepe on a personal level, not because of the way he plays, his turnovers are just an excuse to drop

Yup and seen the same people saying they miss Cazorla , Pepe has really tightened up his link play too.

Legend14

Established Member
He’s not an Arteta’s type of player. Arteta likes safe players who will fit a safe and predictable system of play, because this is how he played. I don’t think he can make Pepe a better player, because he really does not know how.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

He’s not an Arteta’s type of player. Arteta likes safe players who will fit a safe and predictable system of play, because this is how he played. I don’t think he can make Pepe a better player, because he really does not know how.

Hmm it might be that however weirdly enough I disagree with your last statement.

Let me explain further; so I might be wrong because it might just be that Pepe needed an extended run to show what he's got.

But, Pepe is now actually looking better, not only offensively but all round too; he's contributing defensively and his link up play is a lot better.

I think part of that (especially the defensive side) is down to Arteta's instruction. What's weird is that he's probably doing what Arteta wants (atleast from my pov) so I don't know why he's still not comfortably first choice on the opposite wing of Saka.

But who knows, I guess if he starts tomorrow it might just be that Arteta is rotating to keep eerrbody fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom