• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
For me Pepe is a moments player. He did the basics well enough yesterday, though was generally quite quiet and played that absolute beauty of a through ball to Laca for the pen.

I think that's the type of player Pepe is. He's not got the well rounded game of a Saka, ESR or Ødegaard. He'll be fairly anonymous and then pop up with an occasional moment of brilliance that few other Arsenal players can match.

For the role he has currently that's absolutely fine. I think at this stage we've just got to try and put his transfer fee out of our minds and judge him for what he is to us, an impact player / squad option.

OSBK

Established Member
Came on and made a telling contribution, that's all you can ask really. Tell you what, I like him from the left more than the right I think.

I was thinking the same. He isnt as direct on the right, saka does better on the right. On the left he can drop a shoulder and take a man on knowing his stronger foot is always ready for the cross.

Saying that the ball for laca for the pen from the right was prime Özil.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

How's he meant to be taking on Doherty from the other side of the pitch?
Ignore him. He talks absolute nonsense to back Arteta. Almost every weird post he makes can somehow be linked back to defending Arteta.

Arteta is getting criticism for not starting Pepe so so Al takes it on himself to point out whenever Pepe plays poorly in an attempt to justify Arteta benching him.

What I didn’t expect was for him to resort to making stuff up. 🤣

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Anyway a lot of the wider non A-M fan base are starting to clock on to the fact that Pepe deserves more minutes and has done for a while now. Doubt Arteta can continue doing this for much longer.

mirrorstare

Arteta is coaching the fun out of him to kill this debate, there were a couple of moments when he could have tried going past Reguilon but went for a nothing cross attempt instead.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Anyway a lot of the wider non A-M fan base are starting to clock on to the fact that Pepe deserves more minutes and has done for a while now. Doubt Arteta can continue doing this for much longer.
Until I see an Athletic article calling for his start, I think not. :rolleyes:

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Until I see an Athletic article calling for his start, I think not. :rolleyes:
Lol not gonna happen he doesn’t have many fans there.

I think journos who are Arsenal fans just can’t get past the price tag and to be fair, it’s not how we’ve normally done things.

They are much more pro youth. I think the best it got for Pepe was one article called “maybe he’s found his position on the left?”

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Lol not gonna happen he doesn’t have many fans there.

I think journos who are Arsenal fans just can’t get past the price tag and to be fair, it’s not how we’ve normally done things.

They are much more pro youth. I think the best it got for Pepe was one article called “maybe he’s found his position on the left?”
The best for me is generally anytime he performs is up to Arteta's tactical masterclass. :lol:

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

For me Pepe is a moments player. He did the basics well enough yesterday, though was generally quite quiet and played that absolute beauty of a through ball to Laca for the pen.

I think that's the type of player Pepe is. He's not got the well rounded game of a Saka, ESR or Ødegaard. He'll be fairly anonymous and then pop up with an occasional moment of brilliance that few other Arsenal players can match.

For the role he has currently that's absolutely fine. I think at this stage we've just got to try and put his transfer fee out of our minds and judge him for what he is to us, an impact player / squad option.
I think the only guy out of the lot who has shown he can pull the strings consistently is Ødegaard.

There’s been several games particularly through the middle where you can forget ESR was on the pitch. Palace, Leicester first half, there’s been more.

Saka can get taken out the game sometimes cause that’s just our right side. Plus he’s getting double marked and kicked now, he’s going to have to overcome that hurdle to progress further.

Pepe has had matches where he has shown he can be a sustained threat - like Leicester, Southampton, Wolves first half - so yeah I don’t necessarily agree. He produces wow moments which the others can’t, but that don’t make him a moments player. I find most of his anonymous outings come from the bench.

I think he will eventually leave as a disappointment mostly due to the fee. For me he’s been held back and he’s in the Laca boat where I’m not convinced he’s part of the process.

Moah

If he is given the freedom he usually takes the lead. Many games where we tried to include our right side while he was playing he did very well. You can take the Leicester and United games for example.

But in games where the right side is ignored by design, like vs Sp**s second half, he tends to be more quiet with few flashes here and there.

chessygoal

His defensive workrate improved a lot this season, and he's better in build-up play too. The only missing piece right now is to add more goals, and I hope that it will come if he gets a run of games. Then we'd be looking at having a good and healthy competition between our attacking players.
One thing that has been barely noticed is that he's surprisingly good in the air, he's our only player that can consistently win headers when we go long, and that's actually useful.

Kav

Established Member
So if we to back to the Chelsea game which is the turning point, Pepe started the two fa cup games and the United game and was basically average offensively but was evidently working harder off the ball.

The turning point came against Southampton where he scored and looked very good from the left. He played the whole United game and was okay, but then scored a stunner vs wolves. So 2 out of 3 were really good games. He then played vs Villa and didn't score, got dropped for Leeds and we won, and everyone thought he was being rested. Not the case. He didn't play in either of the Benfica matches but played in the City loss. He then starred vs Leiciester and was motm in my opinion and got dropped for Burnley.

Now as it stands he has been dropped. If he plays on Thursday you can say he was rested. However, the last time we thought he was rested vs Leeds, he was in fact dropped. When you add that Willian playing simple passes for assists will have Arteta looking at data and trying to justify him starting in comparison to Pepes miss then I can see Pepe being on the bench Thursday.

Pepe seems really popular. If he doesn't start Thursday it begs the question, what does he have to do to get regular game time? The bar seems lower for certain players.

I am not a statistical expert, but in order for Pepe to get 2 games in a row, he needs to basically be motm in one of them. It's like he has to play 3 times better in order to get consecutive starts. Willian came on vs Benfica and got an assist. He then got two starts in a row vs Leicester and Burnley. A good game for Willian is providing a simple pass that results in an assist. Pepe is a match winner.

I am keeping a close eye on Thursdays line up.
Some coaches have inherent bias towards certain players and it’s part and parcel of football. Maybe Arteta just doesn’t like Pepe as a baller or does not trust him to execute his orders. I also noticed that he picks teams based on the opponents set up. So he will take out players like Pepe or Lacazette depending on who we are playing.

One can argue that the lack of game time has been affecting his form but I do think he should have made that RM his own already. No way Saka or ESR should be taking your game time when you have as much talent as Pepe does.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You still haven’t answered my question from the other day you likkle p*ssio. I don’t wanna see you in this thread again!
🤣I quoted you in this thread about a month ago and straight up had you by the balls but you ran... I thought ‘ok... he’s a runner... better to run from me than real problems, I’ll leave him’... And here you are beating your chest like my question disappeared! The front of some man on here! I’ll find it and answer it once I’ve recovered from your shamelessness 😳

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I would hope we see him starting against Olympiakos. You'd think Saka will be given a rest, if he is even fit. Granted Will is in contention too.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I was thinking the same. He isnt as direct on the right, saka does better on the right. On the left he can drop a shoulder and take a man on knowing his stronger foot is always ready for the cross.

Saying that the ball for laca for the pen from the right was prime Özil.
That’s what I like about him from the left as well. It’s not as if it cuts out the opportunity to come inside because a guy with his pace and footwork can make that work too; he can come inside, get into a more central position and then switch it back onto his left and shoot. We have even seen that his right leg isn’t just for standing on either! So yeah left side makes more sense to me. That’s probably why left-wingers have always had left feet and right-wingers right feet. Back to basics is probably the right way for this

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

🤣I quoted you in this thread about a month ago and straight up had you by the balls but you ran... I thought ‘ok... he’s a runner... better to run from me than real problems, I’ll leave him’... And here you are beating your chest like my question disappeared! The front of some man on here! I’ll find it and answer it once I’ve recovered from your shamelessness 😳
Are you sure?! Doesn’t sound like me to run from an easy KO, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt uncle.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Are you sure?! Doesn’t sound like me to run from an easy KO, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt uncle.
I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt because I know how much you relish trying to wriggle out of all the difficult positions I put you in. You may have forgot.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

In b4 Tir Na Mug comes in here talking ****.

Wasn’t a great performance but still stood out, amongst his peers and has gone from not looking fit enough to being one of the hardest working players we have.

Really like the link up with Ødegaard, a shame we won’t see it often and still would have had a quality goal if not for some freak bad luck. Off to go for a run now.

Kind regards,
Pepe Fan Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom