• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Gervinho - 46 PL appearances 9 Goals 9 Assists.

Pepe 51 PL appearances 10 Goals 6 Assists

He's an end product player that doesn't produce enough end product. It's not a record that's going to get you walking into the side to be honest or shunting other players around to accommodate you.
This is poor to be honest, a lot of those appearances from Pepe were off the bench and he rarely got consecutive starts under both his managers.

If you compared Pepe’s stats to the rest of the attackers in this team they hold up. This is compared to guys with almost double the minutes on him this season with Arteta holding him back, he produces inspite of Arteta’s management.

The one thing we can say about Gervinho was Wenger gave him a good try, in a couple of positions and there were zero complaints when he was sold.

If you don’t like the guy - just say so. Why pretend to be impartial and post such things?

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

This is poor to be honest, a lot of those appearances from Pepe were off the bench and he rarely got consecutive starts under both his managers.

If you compared Pepe’s stats to the rest of the attackers in this team they hold up. This is compared to guys with almost double the minutes on him this season with Arteta holding him back, he produces inspite of Arteta’s management.

The one thing we can say about Gervinho was Wenger gave him a good try, in a couple of positions and there were zero complaints when he was sold.

If you don’t like the guy - just say so. Why pretend to be impartial and post such things?

I think a not unhelpful question to ask would be if Pepe were placed in the same situation as Gervinho, would he have produced more?

I think most would say, without a shadow of a doubt yes, he'd probably have started most games for Wenger and I personally think he would've gotten a boat load.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I think a not unhelpful question to ask would be if Pepe were placed in the same situation as Gervinho, would he have produced more?
Under a better manager who wanted him at the club, in a better a team, ofcourse he would have. All hypothetical however.

The reality is, he’s currently under a manager who didn’t sign him, and dropped him for 2 weeks after a MOTM performance which was part of a good run. Yet people expect him to perform?
If people can’t get over his price tag then just say that, instead of comparing him to Gervinho.

If you’re hell bent on comparing him to Gervinho, then atleast do it properly. But then it begs the question why not compare to Nasri or Hleb? Or other wingers? Or even Saka this season?

Last edited:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Comparing the opportunities Auba and Pepe get from the manager is silly anyway.

Auba is a proven top 10 in the world goalscorer over the best part of the decade. Call it favouritism or whatever you want but he's got a hell of a lot of credit in the bank and rightfully so. He's earnt it.

Pepe's situation is totally different. I want to see him get more game time but he doesn't have the track record nor has he earnt the status Auba has in our side.

He's been here pushing 2 years and yeah he's been somewhat unfortunate this year in terms of opportunities, so let's factor that in.

Still, the cold hard truth of the matter is he's put up Gervinho level numbers at Arsenal.

Gervinho - 46 PL appearances 9 Goals 9 Assists.

Pepe 51 PL appearances 10 Goals 6 Assists

He's an end product player that doesn't produce enough end product. It's not a record that's going to get you walking into the side to be honest or shunting other players around to accommodate you.

I see A-M ain't ready for this conversation. :shivering:

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

Pepe has played 3049 minutes of PL football for us in his 51 appearances.
Gervinho played 2700 minutes of PL football for us in his 46 appearances.

They're pretty much identical in terms of the game time they received. Same appearances, same record. Gervinho was largely considered a flop, that's all I'm saying.

Just on the point on Pepe being frozen out or mistreated by Arteta this season. He's played 1037 minutes of PL football to date ( With 9-10 games to go) . Gervinho in his last season played 1016 minutes total. Was anyone blaming Wenger for Gervinho's poor form as he got limited game time? Obviously not.

I don't know why you'd think I dislike Pepe, I've said over the past couple of months that I think he should get more game time, based on his improved performances.

He's one of the more exciting players to watch but I still stick by the statement that he's an end product player that hasn't produced enough end product. I think the data backs me up there.

We can all make excuses for players we are invested in but are not producing the goods to the level they should. Few would have been doing it for Gervinho though.

Last edited:

Moah

Pepe has played 3049 minutes of PL football for us in his 51 appearances.
Gervinho played 2700 minutes of PL football for us in his 46 appearances.

They're pretty much identical in terms of the game time they received. Same appearances, same record. Gervinho was largely considered a flop, that's all I'm saying.

I don't know why you'd think I dislike Pepe, I've said over the past couple of months that I think he should get more game time, based on his improved performances.

He's one of the more exciting players to watch but I still stick by the statement that he's an end product player that hasn't produced enough end product. I think the data backs me up there.

We can all make excuses for players we are invested in but are not producing the goods to the level they should. Few would have been doing it for Gervinho though.
I am not doubting your information, but can I get the link for that data, I want to see other metrics for the two of them.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

I am not doubting your information, but can I get the link for that data, I want to see other metrics for the two of them.

Yeah sure, it's Transfermrkt.co.uk.

If you click on their individual player profiles it gives you a break down of minutes played per season etc.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Cause it’s a disingenuous argument or comparison to make for a player you claim you don’t dislike. I’m not sure why this forum loves to do that comparison in particular when they play nothing alike.

You wouldn’t compare Saka to Gervinho and their numbers are similar, if anything Saka has played way more.

Is Saka not performing to your standards?
Or is it because Saka was free and 19 so every goal or assist he makes is a bonus to you?

It just doesn’t make sense cause football doesn’t work that way. It was a poor attempt to make a player look worse than they are disguised as facts.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Cause it’s a disingenuous argument or comparison to make for a player you claim you don’t dislike. I’m not sure why this forum loves to do that comparison in particular when they play nothing alike.

You wouldn’t compare Saka to Gervinho and their numbers are similar, if anything Saka has played way more.

Is Saka not performing to your standards?
Or is it because Saka was free and 19 so every goal or assist he makes is a bonus to you?

It just doesn’t make sense cause football doesn’t work that way. It was a poor attempt to make a player look worse than they are disguised as facts.

I'm not saying Gervinho and Pepe have a similar playing style.

Their careers at Arsenal are pretty uncanny in terms of similarities though. Both are x-factor sorts of wide players. Hyped talents during their first seasons that became somewhat marginalised in their second seasons. Appearances, assists, goals are almost identical.

Saka is a kid, we can all see that he's a better talent than Gervinho or Pepe even at this early stage on his career. That's not a knock on either of them, Saka's just an elite talent / prospect. Decision making is what sets Saka apart from them.

I've stopped bringing up Pepe's fee on here because it's unfair on him. It's not his fault we over payed for him. That's on Raul and the club.

You think I dislike Pepe or whatever, I don't. I see him as a squad / impact player at this stage and in that role I'm more than happy with him. Though if we go deep in the Europa I'd like to see him get more PL game time.

GunnerShy

Interestingly, I've seen post game ratings that had Pepe close to our MoTM. It was a strange game where we were extremely caging and poor on the ball and yet produced enough good chances to comfortably win the match.

But for an ESR block he'd have put the game away. He was poor going forward in the first half but defensively solid. Second have he improved considerably once Mikel hooked Laurel and Hardy.

He's not a Sanchez. He's not going to consistently create and drag us into the game out of thin air. But when we are playing well, connecting passes and playing on the final third he looks as or more.likely than anyone to get on the score sheet or play the final ball. Certainly he has a solid understanding with Ødegaard

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Cause it’s a disingenuous argument or comparison to make for a player you claim you don’t dislike.

What is disingenuous about the claim? He just put the minutes up too, lol...

Macho logic: facts don't suit my bias/agenda --> disingenuous, give thumbs down to people's posts

:facepalm: 😂

The pepe fanboy crew on this forum is pretty funny. Manberg would be envious.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Interestingly, I've seen post game ratings that had Pepe close to our MoTM. It was a strange game where we were extremely caging and poor on the ball and yet produced enough good chances to comfortably win the match.

But for an ESR block he'd have put the game away. He was poor going forward in the first half but defensively solid. Second have he improved considerably once Mikel hooked Laurel and Hardy.

He's not a Sanchez. He's not going to consistently create and drag us into the game out of thin air. But when we are playing well, connecting passes and playing on the final third he looks as or more.likely than anyone to get on the score sheet or play the final ball. Certainly he has a solid understanding with Ødegaard

But that's the thing though, when we got Pepe he was hyped like he would be the next talisman. I remember even fans of other clubs raving about him and saying how jealous they were that Arsenal got him. I expected him to develop into one of those players that the opposition team fear. The only game where he looked like he could develop into a superstar was the third game of the 19/20 season against Liverpool away from home. He looked dangerous and dynamic, even though he didn't register any goals or assists. So it's not just about STATS, it's about presence and ability to consistently put pressure on the opposition.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
What is disingenuous about the claim? He just put the minutes up too, lol...

Macho logic: facts don't suit my bias/agenda --> disingenuous, give thumbs down to people's posts

:facepalm: 😂

The pepe fanboy crew on this forum is pretty funny. Manberg would be envious.

It's just boring to me. We have seen this nonsense with Ramsey fanatics, Özil, Xhaka. Just constant excuses, trying to put other players down to hype their man. I remember when some fans used to lambast El-neny for Ramsey's mistakes. The guy would be out of position all game long, terrible touches and poor dribbling technique. Yet some of his fans pretended that he was a great player. He scored some crucial goals in big games, but if you paid attention to his all-around game, he was so flawed.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I mean, if you start him with our best team along with ESR and Ødegaard he works wonders more often than not.

Shame that rarely, if ever, happens.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Great cross, dogshit at taking shots

Becoming a bit of a recurring theme because at times he looks a good finisher but he's also quite wasteful more often than not but the same can be said of Ødegaard and Saka too. It'd be helpful if we got some consistent goal threat from our wide players and midfielders

Pop Tart

Established Member
Becoming a bit of a recurring theme because at times he looks a good finisher but he's also quite wasteful more often than not but the same can be said of Ødegaard and Saka too. It'd be helpful if we got some consistent goal threat from our wide players and midfielders
I said about saka shots before, and yeah Martin too. Also partey feels he has to have at least 3 long range crap shots a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom