• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
Successful and progressive passing under pressure.

Xhaka leading the league last season. Imagine that's even better this year.

That said and tbf: I think when people are mentioning him not being *press-resistant* they specifically means that he can't dribble/turn to get out of pressure. Which is fair enough.

Ex1I8erWgAwKdel
So many stats say he is great yet nobody other then Hertha Berlin ever go near him. I guess the big teams have their scouts actually watch matches like the rest of us

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
So many stats say he is great yet nobody other then Hertha Berlin ever go near him. I guess the big teams have their scouts actually watch matches like the rest of us
We've only put him for sale once, in the january transfer window, after a huge falling out.

Before that when we bought him Bayern was also interested. So was Man City (though that came only known recently) And recently Everton if we bring rumors into the mix.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
We've only put him for sale once, in the january transfer window, after a huge falling out.

Before that when we bought him Bayern was also interested. And recently Everton if we bring rumors into the mix.
Sure, tell me when a big team bids for him

Btw we bought Pierre Emerick Aubameyang in the January window, after a huge falling out

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Progressive passes are vertical passes

Successful and progressive passing under pressure.

Xhaka leading the league last season. Imagine that's even better this year.

That said and tbf: I think when people are mentioning him not being *press-resistant* they specifically means that he can't dribble/turn to get out of pressure. Which is fair enough.

Ex1I8erWgAwKdel
What is the definition for a “progressive” pass in these statistics? If a player is facing full forward, is it anything above 0 and less than 180 degrees pass angle? Or does it have to be say between 80-100 degrees angle? So how close to vertical 90 degrees does it have to be to count as “progressive”?

Zazu

When he passes to Tierney, it does count into the metric.
Depends where Tierney is on the pitch, but yeah if he's far forward.
What is the definition for a “progressive” pass in these statistics? If a player is facing full forward, is it anything above 0 and less than 180 degrees pass angle? Or does it have to be say between 80-100 degrees angle? So how close to vertical 90 degrees does it have to be to count as “progressive”?
It's nothing to do with the angle, its how much vertical distance up the pitch is gained from the pass.

"A pass is considered progressive if the distance between the starting point and the next touch is:

• at least 30 meters closer to the opponent’s goal if the starting and finishing points are within a team’s own half
  • at least 15 meters closer to the opponent’s goal if the starting and finishing points are in different halves
  • at least 10 meters closer to the opponent’s goal if the starting and finishing points are in the opponent’s half"

From wyscout

Taneruit

Established Member

The angle isn’t important for the definition at all, progression is. Meaning the ball has to cover a certain distance up the field towards the opponents goal.

Those are at least 10 meters if you are in the opponents half, at least 20 meters if you are in midfield and at least 30 meters if you pass in your own half.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Depends where Tierney is on the pitch, but yeah if he's far forward.

It's nothing to do with the angle, its how much vertical distance up the pitch is gained from the pass.

"A pass is considered progressive if the distance between the starting point and the next touch is:

• at least 30 meters closer to the opponent’s goal if the starting and finishing points are within a team’s own half
  • at least 15 meters closer to the opponent’s goal if the starting and finishing points are in different halves
  • at least 10 meters closer to the opponent’s goal if the starting and finishing points are in the opponent’s half"

From wyscout

The angle isn’t important for the definition at all, progression is. Meaning the ball has to cover a certain distance up the field towards the opponents goal.

Those are at least 10 meters if you are in the opponents half, at least 20 meters if you are in midfield and at least 30 meters if you pass in your own half.
Thanks for clarifying!!!

Moah

He played his very best this season and we would have definitely been much worse without him. With that being said, his best just isn't good enough and he needs to be upgraded on.

Taneruit

Established Member

That doctor dude that makes the youtube player injury *assessments* is shilling for Xhaka too

R1fdEt3.gif

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I think I might have dyslexia, keep reading X haka as Xavi
The closest Xxxhaka will ever get to Xavi is through a spelling error... :rolleyes:

This thread has turned into a case of “don’t believe your lying eyes, but these stats I have found “. The fact that Xxxhaka can look good in stats compilations is absolute proof of the limitations of stats in football in my view. And this is from someone that works with statistics on a daily basis and is a firm believer in their usefulness.

He, he... outsmarted the spellcheck... me like that Xxxhaka spelling! :lol:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
What's Xavi ever achieved in England to be compared to our Granit anyway?

Granit has beat Chelsea in two finals, while Xavi looks the type to get bullied at Sunderland away in the 4th round!

Taneruit

Established Member

This thread has turned into a case of “don’t believe your lying eyes, but these stats I have found “.

Joking aside I would never say that. It's Eye-Test + Stats all the way with me. Because neither is perfect. Your eyes, your inherent bias, your convictions. They can lie to you too as well as stats which can be wrongly interpreted and manipulated. Always make your own mind up if possible by questioning the data and yourself. (Though I don't need to tell you that)

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Joking aside I would never say that. It's Eye-Test + Stats all the way with me. Because neither is perfect. Your eyes, your inherent bias, your convictions. They can lie to you too as well as stats which can be wrongly interpreted and manipulated. Always make your own mind up if possible by questioning the data and yourself. (Though I don't need to tell you that)
I have zero issues with what you write, which I think is fully correct. My mind with Xxxxhaka is just so made up after 5 years there isn't a statistic in the world that could change that view unless he starts banging in goals, makes zero defensive mistakes for a season and generally turns into this CM superman. Bar that I want him out of the squad! Or at least not a starting option.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I have zero issues with what you write, which I think is fully correct. My mind with Xxxxhaka is just so made up after 5 years there isn't a statistic in the world that could change that view unless he starts banging in goals, makes zero defensive mistakes for a season and generally turns into this CM superman. Bar that I want him out of the squad! Or at least not a starting option.
I'm aware of my despair with this player and actively look for good moments but he's way too basic for me to be enthusiastic about. Like Kevin Campbell said, he's not scoring or assisting, he's just a "continuity player ". So was Denilson. We need to move on from him and quickly. His stats are always good but I don't see it on the pitch. Pepe was the same for me in a way but his performances now match his stats more equally. I just want Granit ditched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom