• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Abhishek Arora

Always Hoping For The Worst
I see what you’re saying and I agree a little, but he’ll only get sacked if he’s unable to get us on track for European football next season, which is a fair call. I don’t know what more you want?

No manager can finish mid table at Arsenal and then back that up with another poor season. So if he’s poor next season, a sacking is a fair call.
It looks highly unlikely that Arsenal will be playing in Europe next season.Dont you think its better to sack him at the end of the season so that new manager gets the signings according to his tactics?
If Arsenal sack Arteta in middle of next season its going to be the same olf excuses ‘he needs a window to build his team’

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
It looks highly unlikely that Arsenal will be playing in Europe next season.Dont you think its better to sack him at the end of the season so that new manager gets the signings according to his tactics?
If Arsenal sack Arteta in middle of next season its going to be the same olf excuses ‘he needs a window to build his team’

I really don't understand how people believe one window suddenly gets a manager what he wants and needs? Unless you're City or Chelsea and can throw oil money at people.

Put it this way, we are currently 9 points behind Chelsea in 4th, if we finish 9 points or less behind 4th then its completely acceptable to allow the manager the summer window to make up those 9 points.

In the grand scheme of things 9 points is a 3 game swing, something we couldve comfortably managed this season without individual errors and maybe with some more quality in attacking areas over the entire season.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Van Persie, Nasri, Ramsey, Ade, Walcott, Song, Clichy, Toure from the top off my head. All came here young and improved, and nearly all left for bigger clubs at big fees.

Thats not including Anelka, because of your daft argument, because technically EVERY signing is “poached”.

Then you got Wenger playing Iwobi who went for a big fee, Wenger giving playing Jack as a kid, Cole etc. I’m sure there are others I missed.

You’re not really going to argue Wenger didn’t sign young and cheap youth/younger players and improved them? Because there is a list who say they owe their career to him, including Henry.
Thats a disingenuous crock of smelly balls. Even still, in 22 years? What about the most important part, like, the bit where he got desperate and abandoned youth for experience and spunked 73m on players that have taken us back 10 years? Where was his youth development in the last part of his tenure?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
It's bipolar on here at times. At the same time you've got people wanting for us to focus on youth and develop that way while at the same time pointing out the obvious that we need to finish top 4 now.

Either we accept mediocrity for 2-3 years while we develop a cohesive team of youngsters who can develop together or we go for the here and now top 4.

Arteta or whoever will be the next manager is going to stuck between a rock and a hard place. Finishing top 4 with a team full of young and developing players isn't happening.

Ajax, Dortmund etc may do it, no disrespect to their nations but there's not the depth in those leagues, they can afford to develop that way and still get Champions League qualification. Try doing it when you're competing against Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Leicester, Man Utd, Sp**s etc for top 4. Won't happen.

Even in the Wenger years the competition for top 4 was less. We could have a poor season, miss important players through injuries and have to rely on kids and still only be in a dogfight with a pretty average Villa side for 4th.

Those days are long gone. You can debate whether the pinnacle of the league is at a higher standard than previous era's or not but the level of competition for top 4 is undeniably levels above what it was 10 years ago.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Wenger in decline was still better football than most of Europe today.

You could be right but that’s neither here or there, the argument is that the club went 180 from that and I don’t see why.

It happened because we are in a new era of football. Wenger himself already explained what era we are in: "The way football is going at the moment it's quick counter-pressing, quick transitions and everybody plays the same. It's kicked out players like Özil." And we are yet to adapt to this new era.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Thats a disingenuous crock of smelly balls. Even still, in 22 years? What about the most important part, like, the bit where he got desperate and abandoned youth for experience and spunked 73m on players that have taken us back 10 years? Where was his youth development in the last part of his tenure?
You’re reaching here and I don’t know why. Ok he wasted 73M on those players, but we’ve spent record amounts since he’s left and you backed that process with Raul, what about that?

The 300-400m we’ve spent since is what’s hurt us, back to back midtable finishes.

GDeep™

League is very weak
It's bipolar on here at times. At the same time you've got people wanting for us to focus on youth and develop that way while at the same time pointing out the obvious that we need to finish top 4 now.

Either we accept mediocrity for 2-3 years while we develop a cohesive team of youngsters who can develop together or we go for the here and now top 4.

Arteta or whoever will be the next manager is going to stuck between a rock and a hard place. Finishing top 4 with a team full of young and developing players isn't happening.

Ajax, Dortmund etc may do it, no disrespect to their nations but there's not the depth in those leagues, they can afford to develop that way and still get Champions League qualification. Try doing it when you're competing against Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Leicester, Man Utd, Sp**s etc for top 4. Won't happen.

Even in the Wenger years the competition for top 4 was less. We could have a poor season, miss important players through injuries and have to rely on kids and still only be in a dogfight with a pretty average Villa side for 4th.

Those days are long gone. You can debate whether the pinnacle of the league is at a higher standard than previous era's or not but the level of competition for top 4 is undeniably levels above what it was 10 years ago.
Nobody is saying play youth. What I’m saying is that if we haven’t got money as is being reported, then why extend contracts of players who have given us two midtable finishes and not play the talented youth we signed for big fees instead. Very reasonable, after all, isn’t that why we spent 25M on Saliba?

You’re another who waffles a lot but says nothing.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I would back pretty much all the Arsenal squads from 2006-2016 to make the Champions League this season, maybe even the 2 that missed out on it too.

We have had quality teams at The Emirates, just not title level ones.

GDeep™

League is very weak
@Jury backed Raul and the hundreds of millions squandered by him but is still crying about Mustafi and Xhaka who has been one of our best players this season.

Where is Lucas Torreira mate? The guy who was supposed to replace Xhaka? Or Saliba the guy signed to dump people like Mustafi? You backed that process. Pepe was signed for 72M by your man Raul too and now you’re here daily slagging off Pepe.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I would back pretty much all the Arsenal squads from 2006-2016 to make the Champions League this season, maybe even the 2 that missed out on it too.

We have had quality teams at The Emirates, just not title level ones.
This is the worst season in PL history. The closest we got to PL in recent years was with Emery, even that with mainly a Wenger team.

In recent years we’ve seen maybe the worst UTD in PL history, the worst Chelsea since their takeover etc, West Ham are 4th now, Wolves have had 1 good season etc, get people will try to kid themselves we’re in some PL supremacy to suit themselves.

The league was better 10 years ago.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The club messed up when they promoted him after an fa cup win. This shows how little Vinai actually knows about football. He should be judged on his league accomplishments not how he does in the cup. The cup isn't a true representation of what Arteta is doing.

What we should have at the club is a system where:

1) There is a clear pathway for talented youth and a clear system of loaning players and finding out what their positions are. AMN is only now getting the opportunity to play in his preferred position and it is away from the club while a loan player stinks the place out.

2) Buy the right age profile. We shouldn't be singing 27 year olds if it is a project. We should be making signings in the 22-24 bracket.

3) the right profile of player. Not players because the manager likes them. Players any modern manager can work with. If we had fast centre backs who are good on the ball, full backs who are athletic and have end product and good ball retention, dynamic ball winners, dynamic box to box players, technical dynamic playmakers, fast goal scoring wingers and a number 9 who is well rounded. The right amount of options in all positions and a squad of intelligent athletic footballers. It literally would not matter who the manager was.

4) There should be a structure where players come and go and we have a clear idea of replacements. No stupid contracts for aging players. It's a case of player a is now 27 with 2 years left on his deal. We sell and upgrade with a 22 year old if the academy hasn't produced a talent.

Of the current squad.

Martinelli, Saka, Pepe, ESR, AMN, Nelson, Willock, Tierney, Saliba, Gabriel, Mavrapanos, Partey. Those players are the right profile. The fact that the manager has failed with 6 out of the 12 is a problem.

We should slowly be upgrading on everyone else with nobody over the age of 23 with RB, CM, AM, CF, GK the priority in terms of starting positions and lb the key priority for squad positions.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You’re reaching here and I don’t know why. Ok he wasted 73M on those players, but we’ve spent record amounts since he’s left and you backed that process with Raul, what about that?

The 300-400m we’ve spent since is what’s hurt us, back to back midtable finishes.
I don’t know what your obsession is with me and Raul... I told you, it was nothing more than the big **** thing. I didn’t really have an opinion on the guy. I found the whole thing a joke.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
This is the worst season in PL history. The closest we got to PL in recent years was with Emery, even that with mainly a Wenger team.

In recent years we’ve seen maybe the worst UTD in PL history, the worst Chelsea since their takeover etc, West Ham are 4th now, Wolves have had 1 good season etc, get people will try to kid themselves we’re in some PL supremacy to suit themselves.

And Mourinho's ruining Sp**s after all the good work Poch had done. Klopp's run Pool into the ground.

With no crowds on his back, Arteta had a good opportunity to get into the top 4 this year and make a name for himself.

akhil

The competition wasn't a lot different in the Wenger years. 70 points got us top 4. Which it will in the post Wenger years as well. It's not like the competition has improved significantly. We're on course for a second season with a points total less than 60 points. The only oddity is the very compressed schedule.

We are level on points with with a promoted team after 30 games. Let that sink in a bit.

It's not bipolar at all. Both can be done and has been done at this club before and a bunch of other clubs. People are angry cause we've done neither, committed to youth nor are we higher up the table. We literally wasted half a season playing a bunch of seniors with zero upside. They didn't give results in the short term at all. We could have easily used those game to blood the likes of Saliba, Nelson etc. Even now Martinelli can't get any significant minutes since he's come back. . There were projections of top 4 after the Partey signing, we are sitting in 10th with 42 points after 30 games. Before the Chelsea game we had 14 points from the opening 14 games. That's relegation form. What was the silver lining at that point? Since then the emergence of ESR is pretty much the only bright spot so far this season along with Saka's progress. Martinelli has barely played since he's come back and he was ahead of both of the former last season. The former 2 have saved Arteta's job for the most part.

Despite all that, it's April and we're still seeing likes of Ceballos, El Neny and Willian get significant minutes stinking out the place. Auba back on the left wing pretending to be a footballer and suffer ball tactics from last June.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

Was certainly more fun 10 years ago. before every team became Pressing FC.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Klopp's run Pool into the ground.
I think they’re allowed a stinker by their standards after their exploits the last few years. Wenger would’ve loved to have run us into the ground after a CL final, a CL win and a title. I put their predicament down to a hangover, which I predicted, and the absence of the Anfield factor

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom