• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEL Quarter-Final 1st Leg: Arsenal v Slavia Prague | Thursday, April 8 | KO: 20:00 BST | BT Sports

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

In all honesty for all my banging of the Arteta drum if we lose this tie it would be time for him to leave the club. It would be unacceptable to not make the final of the Europa league, we have the squad to beat Slavia and Villareal comfortably.
Slavia and Villareal adren’t exactly City or Chelsea. A few years back you’d have viewed both as regulation group level victories. Man U are the only team that ought, on paper, to pose any meaningful threat to us.

I would give Mikel one more transfer window but if he can’t make the final -frankly win the final - and get us motoring in the first third of next season, we have to ask serious questions. He risks becoming the next Poch - real potential, but needs a rich club to realise it.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
You mean the Leicester who are 14 pts above us in the PL. I know we beat them recently but they are 3rd in the PL for a reason. If Slavia can beat Leicester away then they can definitely beat us!

And we beat United, so what. Also, Slavia weren't missing their 3 main CBs when they played Leicester were they. Let's not pretend this isn't a relatively easy fixture, be cause it is.

They can still beat us though, anyone can, tbh. It does not mean they should.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Slavia and Villareal adren’t exactly City or Chelsea. A few years back you’d have viewed both as regulation group level victories. Man U are the only team that ought, on paper, to pose any meaningful threat to us.

I would give Mikel one more transfer window but if he can’t make the final -frankly win the final - and get us motoring in the first third of next season, we have to ask serious questions. He risks becoming the next Poch - real potential, but needs a rich club to realise it.

The line is so fine. Similar to the FA cup last year in so many ways, but way more riding on this. If Mikel were to win us a European trophy that is huge, something that would galvanise this club and propel us to greater things. Especially as we'd be back in the CL and be able to acquire a higher calibre of player across the board.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Have a feeling Azzez is going to debut tonight. In what role and if he’s starting I dunno.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger

I think the next Poch line is unfair on both of them in different ways. Arteta has actually won a trophy whereas Poch was far better in the league and got more out of less talented players (cloggers really) at Sp**s.

Arteta hasn't shown that he has Poch's potential.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Not sure this is going to be as easy as people think. Still we’ve got ESR and Saka back, and they’ve already saved Arteta from the relegation places after Christmas.
My thinking too.

Its going to go very ugly without ESR and Saka. Knowing Arteta, he might rush them back.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Didn't we thrash them 5 weeks ago, or did I dream it?
Leicester are playing better than us and with a far better coach. I'm not saying they'll beat us. I'm saying if they can beat Leicester, then they're capable of beating us. We had this mindset going into the Olympiakos game last season and look how that turned out.

This team doesn't fill me with confidence at the moment.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Our team is unpredictable we never know how they'll turn up today if it's similar to last 3 games then we'll lose this but I'm confident that xhaka saka ESR return they'll give something different we go forward specially the last 2.

Finesse

Leicester are playing better than us and with a far better coach. I'm not saying they'll beat us. I'm saying if they can beat Leicester, then they're capable of beating us. We had this mindset going into the Olympiakos game last season and look how that turned out.

You are correct. It is more like Leicester have a more experienced Manager and playing consistently better than we are. On our day we can beat Leicester like we did few weeks ago with a team on rotation on their ground. However we are not consistent enough and rightly 14 points adrift.

If anyone thinks this is an easy fixture, then they must have been watching old videos of how we dispatched them under Arsène. With this Arsenal team , you don't cannot tell which one will turn up. They may come out , dominate play , miss chances and give Sparta an away goal. Like I said few weeks ago , Auba holds our chances to lift this trophy.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐

You know, one of these days I'm gonna make a statement and ask if I dreamt and pple will tell me yes I did. :lol: This year has been so bizarre that I can't trust my memories of it.

I don't trust us either, but on paper, this should be easy going.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

The depressing thought is that win or lose tonight, Arteta will still be here next season bamboozling the idiotic board with yet more talks of processes and the levels of trust we should place therein.

David Copperfield has nothing on this man :lol:

Tsl

Give either Ceballos or Elnenys place on the bench to Azeez tonight. They have both been rubbish lately, and I think Azeez deserve a chance. Our best performers this season have been youngsters, Azeez is 18 and I think he is ready.

Trofton

• Opta Stats
    The only previous matches between Arsenal and Slavia Prague in European competition were in the group stages of the 2007-08 UEFA Champions League - Arsenal won 7-0 at home before drawing 0-0 away. In the 7-0 win, five of Arsenal's goals were scored by players aged 20 or younger (x2 Walcott, x2 Fàbregas, x1 Bendtner).
  • In all European competition Arsenal are unbeaten against Czech opposition (W7 D1 L0), keeping seven clean sheets in eight matches; they have scored 22 times and conceded only twice across these games.
  • Slavia Prague will become the first team to face three British opponents (Leicester, Rangers and Arsenal) in the knockout rounds of a UEFA European competition since AC Milan in the 2006-07 Champions League (Celtic, Man Utd and Liverpool).
  • This is Arsenal's 16th quarter-final tie in major European competition, progressing from nine of the previous 15, including each of the last two - versus CSKA Moscow in 2017-18 and Napoli in 2018-19, both in this competition.
  • 15 different players have scored for Arsenal in the UEFA Europa League this season (own goals excluded), the most unique scorers of any side this season; the only side to have more different players score for them in a single UEFA Europa League campaign were Arsenal in 2017-18 (16).

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

And we beat United, so what. Also, Slavia weren't missing their 3 main CBs when they played Leicester were they. Let's not pretend this isn't a relatively easy fixture, be cause it is.

They can still beat us though, anyone can, tbh. It does not mean they should.
This is the issue with this team under Arteta though, isn't it? It's not like "they can still beat us" as in "anything can happen in football". It's more like it's a lottery in what team, mentality and performance we'll put out there tonight :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom