• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I think this is a bit disingenuous. United had their pick of premier league players from the time Ferguson came till Abramovich arrived.

United bought Cantona, Ferdinand, Rooney, Dwight Yorke, Andy Cole and others. Think about this, we were competing with them for titles and Ferguson still tried to sign Tony Adams and Vieira. Although Tone might have been pre Arsène. You including up till 2013 means that City and Chelsea come into the mix, two teams that had to build themselves up whereas United were already established.

Ferguson was a genius but let's not act as if he won things on a shoestring budget. In those years he had:

A spine of players from United's academy. Something no other club has managed to pull together. Those guys played 1500+ games combined for United. He basically didn't have to buy a LW, RB or a CM for twenty years.

The most expensive English defender of all time
The most expensive British teenager of all time
The second best player in the world
A plethora of players that were bought for big money at the time.
All at the club with the biggest commercial power in the league.

Wenger on the other hand was holding together this club with duct tape and crazy glue.
If you consider Özil was signed after Ferguson retired, you can count 14 players that Man United signed for higher fees than any of our transfers in the same period (1996-2013). Pretty amazing we where able to compete with United like we did up until the stadium build and a testament to the quality of Wenger to not only coach but pick out a bargain. That's without including what Liverpool and eventually Chelsea where spending at that time.

Iceman10

Established Member
Does he have Willian over Pepe specifically in the pecking order? Pepe has played the most games for us after Leno this season. Willian has played very little since boxing day.

Is this more stats stuff where sub appearances are considered equal to starts? If otherwise it will be skewed for pre- Boxing Day. If Willian has played little since Boxing Day, so have Pepe (outside sub appearances), Martinelli (and Reiss). I don’t think anyone can defend the Willian selection for Slavia at home really.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Is this more stats stuff where sub appearances are considered equal to starts? If otherwise it will be skewed for pre- Boxing Day. If Willian has played little since Boxing Day, so have Pepe (outside sub appearances), Martinelli (and Reiss). I don’t think anyone can defend the Willian selection for Slavia at home really.

It was appearances yes but in terms of minutes Willian has only played 1600 all season. Pepe 2100.

Did Willian start in the 10?

Iceman10

Established Member
It seems like the turning point was the public dressing down of Aubameyang, which both Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher believed to be an issue as well.

Personally I’m not happy with Auba, but my view is admittedly an unpopular one. Think we have been more than patient with Auba this season after his contract extension, and I’m not overly critical of Arteta on handling of him, the kid gloves approach for so long this season didn’t seem to be working either. There is a lot that should go with captaincy also really, including turning up for matches earlier than others, not late, but giving him the captaincy was a mistake in the first place (Arteta).

Reactions: A_G

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I’m a bit wary on player power though. If Arteta goes there still needs to be a clear out instead of another “clean slate” reset.
I agree.

But tbh, real real honest, I think the players have given Arteta a lot of faith all things considered. They've backed him to a T (the majority of them) despite our horrific form during Christmas and being so far down the table.

Tbh it was one argument in Arteta's favour I couldn't argue against; that he had the buy in from the majority of players.

In fact I still find the story hard to believe given how the players seem to back the manager in the media and when questioned about Arteta. But I suppose eventually there'd be a breaking point.

I really really really really want us to win the EL so I'm hoping it's not true.

Edit: And to be clear I'm not an Arteta "In" guy, I'm frustrated by a lot of what he's done but man that trophy could mean a lot, let's be real.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Can you keep blaming the players though? I mean his man management has been questionable.

Dropped Laca after he scored 3 in 3 at the start of the season, dropped Pepe for Willian at the start of this season when Pepe had a strong finish last season, had Auba playing as a LB until Christmas, gives minutes to his bum favourites etc.

Players are allowed to be disillusioned. These players weren’t “bad” when they were winning him the FA Cup.

Iceman10

Established Member
I agree.

But tbh, real real honest, I think the players have given Arteta a lot of faith all things considered. They've backed him to a T (the majority of them) despite our horrific form during Christmas and being so far down the table.

Tbh it was one argument in Arteta's favour I couldn't argue against; that he had the buy in from the majority of players.

In fact I still find the story hard to believe given how the players seem to back the manager in the media and when questioned about Arteta. But I suppose eventually there'd be a breaking point.

I really really really really want us to win the EL so I'm hoping it's not true.

Edit: And to be clear I'm not an Arteta "In" guy, I'm frustrated by a lot of what he's done but man that trophy could mean a lot, let's be real.

My reading of the piece suggests high chance of it being click bait more than anything else also, although if we go out against Slavia it won’t matter, there will be lots of disarray to go with that. Back in December there was a piece about troubles with Luiz and others, and time has proven that to have been likely false reporting. Specifically with Auba it is believable things have reached breaking point though, even though Auba and Arteta were previously highly complimentary of each other earlier in the season when Auba was deep in his goal drought.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Even though it's that toilet paper, I really hope it's true. So many players have been publicly thrown under the bus, i'm surprised it didn't happen sooner

GDeep™

League is very weak
Not sure I think the players have turned, most are his boys - Tierney, Luiz, Holding, Bellerin, Xhaka, Partey, Willian, Cedric, Mari etc.

Godwin1

Very well-known
What? Bring up Wengz? I just quote and reply to posts, I never go out of my way to bring him up, find it the most boring chat ever.
This may be a recent thing, you were big on bringing him up not long ago. But I was on about being wrong 3 years in a row, I think everyone has got it wrong at this point.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

here we go

giphy.gif

MY DRUGGGGGGGGG

INJECT IT INTO MY VEINZZZZ!!!!!!

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

The players have had enough, he's tried to act the big man with the Auba situation and it's now backfiring. Doesn't help he'll give constant chances to guys like Willian and Laca no matter how badly they do and others like Martinelli and Pepe aren't given the same chances. Like I said we're really approaching the end now, it's a matter of time.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Can’t be true, the players he plays every week no matter how bad they are constantly say he’s a phenomenal coach and the future GOAT.

Top Bottom