• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Saliba

Votes: 243 84.4%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

This guy can do things with the ball that Holding cannot. He's not the finished article, but his ceiling is quite simply much higher than who we're currently playing.

Would also like to point out that the French League is apparently the closest league to the PL in terms of physicality/athleticism so no concerns there either.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
This guy can do things with the ball that Holding cannot. He's not the finished article, but his ceiling is quite simply much higher than who we're currently playing.

He's a real special talent, so comfortable and confident on the ball. I really hope we see him next season. Holding has been trying those balls over the top the last few games, but it's clear he doesn't excel in that area in the way Saliba can.

bonzka

So many times I want to see Holding pass to feet with a man on shoulder. drives me nuts when he constantly checks back. Saliba is a decisive passer but he'll make a few diabolicals on the way. Worth it.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Holding getting a battering on this page. I'm here for that.

Balding's hair would completely fall out if he tried to bring the ball out of defence like Saliba does.

Goonger

I've been 1 of those in here defending Arteta.

I honestly think how he handles Saliba next season will be my deciding factor with him. I'd honestly be at a loss if he can't see he looks the ideal modern defender.

You take the pains of playing a young defender when the raw attributes are so good.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I've been 1 of those in here defending Arteta.

I honestly think how he handles Saliba next season will be my deciding factor with him. I'd honestly be at a loss if he can't see he looks the ideal modern defender.

You take the pains of playing a young defender when the raw attributes are so good.

As Sagna said, there's no issue with sending him on loan this season considering his age for his position (defenders develop later and experience greater growing pains at this age; see De Ligt or any example really, the greatest defenders of the last few years like van Dijk or Koulibaly were major late bloomers) and the circumstances (covid, whatever it is that happened with his family in the end), but yeah, Holding just isn't very good and there's no reason Saliba shouldn't be getting his minutes while he continues his development next season.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Holding getting a battering on this page. I'm here for that.

Balding's hair would completely fall out if he tried to bring the ball out of defence like Saliba does.
Both Holding and Luiz have something like 2% of completed forward passes. It's always a lost ball as soon as they start looking forward

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
In many ways, being an over-protective parent is the worst thing you can do for a child, they will grow up weak.

Arteta letting Saliba grow up on his own is the best thing he can do for him, elite man managment, will help him become an even better player.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
In many ways, being an over-protective parent is the worst thing you can do for a child, they will grow up weak.

Arteta letting Saliba grow up on his own is the best thing he can do for him, elite man managment, will help him become an even better player.
That’s straight from the David Brent school of management. Arteta couldn’t have done a worse job managing Saliba this season if he tried.

Goonger

As Sagna said, there's no issue with sending him on loan this season considering his age for his position (defenders develop later and experience greater growing pains at this age; see De Ligt or any example really, the greatest defenders of the last few years like van Dijk or Koulibaly were major late bloomers) and the circumstances (covid, whatever it is that happened with his family in the end), but yeah, Holding just isn't very good and there's no reason Saliba shouldn't be getting his minutes while he continues his development next season.

I've no problem with him being sent on loan to aid his development considering his stop start nature of the season previous. It should have been sorted in the summer window rather than the winter window, but what's done is done.

Like I said in my post, it's how he's treated when he comes back that concerns me. If Arteta is true to his word, sees him long term as a mainstay in our defence & integrates him in I'll be happy. If that was all waffle & he continues to overlook him then I'll have issues. There's no way, with the football Arteta wants to play, passing out from the back, & I assume longer term a bit of a higher line, that we have a defender more suited than Saliba for that role, despite his inexperience.

We are still panic merchants when playing out from the back, & this lad looks so in control, so calm & assured. Sometimes having that 1 player in there like that & can really stabilise a full defence, & this lad looks like he could do that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom