• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Manager Wish-List Thread

Who do you want?

• Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Antonio Conte

• Christophe Galtier

• Roberto Martinez

• Paulo Fonseca

• Gian Piero Gasperini

• Total voters

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Howe you wanna see how he does at another club before you give him a chance, bournemouth looked like the perfect environment for him. We've seen these types of managers flop at their next club so often
Howe didn't fare well at Burnley. I think he only lasted a year. Coyle and Dyche were much better there. It will be interesting if he goes to Celtic.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
People moan about selections but we've needed a lot of squad rotation this season due to the amount of games played in such a short period. Luiz, Holding and Gabriel have all pretty much played the same minutes.

He does know his best front line, they just haven't all been fit regularly. It's pretty clear he prefers Laca up top, Saka, Ode and then ESR. But again you require a lot of rotation.

It sounds to me like you want the United approach where we change manager every year or two and give them 150m a time to try and do something. Sadly it doesn't work.
What I want is my club to win matches. And if the current manager isn't doing that I'm willing to welcome someone else to try. You can't reward failure.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Never understood that with the younger gen of English managers. Just because the last one was made up of Pardews and Allardyces doesn't mean Howe and Potter are the same in terms of not being cut out for better football and bigger clubs. It's not always the best option to go for young, rather unproven managers, but as e.g. clubs in Germany do that too often, English clubs don't do it often enough and they should probably take a page out of each others books.

Ridiculously guys like Rodgers suffer from that, too. He's bottled his Liverpool job, but definitely got on, did well at Celtic and is now doing well at Leicester, but some would still rather go for some foreign hype of the week. E.g. imo Potch isn't any better than Rodgers, but to some still the best thing since sliced bread.

Have to agree with this re: Howe though. He strikes me as in similar mold to Christian Streich, who has done a tremendous job for Freiburg in the last iirc 7 years, but whom I'm certain of will not work out anywhere else.

I totally agree with you.

We're strange in England. When it comes to our players we'll overhype them to a ridiculous degree but when it comes to our managers we're the exact opposite.

I think we just have a bit of an inferiority complex on that front. I guess having a generation of English managers like Bruce, Hughes, Allardyce, Pardew etc probably didn't help our faith in our own homegrown managers.

I'll have to look into Christian Streich.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
What I want is my club to win matches. And if the current manager isn't doing that I'm willing to welcome someone else to try. You can't reward failure.

That isn't an approach for longevity though. That's a Chelsea approach. What works for Chelsea is bringing in a new manager every couple of years, giving them 500M and saying go win as many trophies as you can.

Considering the players we've brought through I'd like a more Liverpool esque approach to things, more organic, a home made cake instead of a shop purchased cake if you were.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
That isn't an approach for longevity though. That's a Chelsea approach. What works for Chelsea is bringing in a new manager every couple of years, giving them 500M and saying go win as many trophies as you can.

Considering the players we've brought through I'd like a more Liverpool esque approach to things, more organic, a home made cake instead of a shop purchased cake if you were.
Liverpool chopped and changed managers every 5 minutes. Ask yourself would Liverpool have stuck with Klopp had he had then floating around 10th after a season and a half? And would Liverpool fans have been saying. Oh he needs time? He needs 20 new players? Had there not been progress or clear signs of it Klopp probably wouldn't have gotten much more than 2 years.

Klopp improved Liverpool from the off. He did have bad results at times. But there was a clear improvement both in league position and performances. There was a clear style.

I never remember Klopp being 1 defeat away from 80%+ of the fans saying he should go.

If Arteta doesn't get us through tonight I dare say more than 80% will be out. We are losing to inferior sides. Not Man City or Chelsea.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Liverpool chopped and changed managers every 5 minutes. Ask yourself would Liverpool have stuck with Klopp had he had then floating around 10th after a season and a half? And would Liverpool fans have been saying. Oh he needs time? He needs 20 new players? Had there not been progress or clear signs of it Klopp probably wouldn't have gotten much more than 2 years.

Klopp improved Liverpool from the off. He did have bad results at times. But there was a clear improvement both in league position and performances. There was a clear style.

I never remember Klopp being 1 defeat away from 80%+ of the fans saying he should go.

If Arteta doesn't get us through tonight I dare say more than 80% will be out. We are losing to inferior sides. Not Man City or Chelsea.

Then your memory doesn't serve you very well, because there were plenty of people saying to get rid of Klopp after certain results. Do you not remember their big loss to Stoke?

Its a **** comparison, when Klopp joined Liverpool they didn't have a complete mess of a squad, they had no issues with stupid player wages and he essentially had a clean slate to work from. You can't disagree that Arteta didn't walk into a complete mess, said mess doesn't just take a few months to sort out.

Liverpool chopped and changed managers until they found Klopp, that's because Klopp became available, otherwise they would've continued to chop and change before a top manager became available.

United have chopped and changed for 8 years, they got fed up with that so said look we'll stick with Ole and let him build the side. Because United managers previously had been sacked for a lot less than where Ole had them in his first season. Because they stuck with Ole they managed to get a bit of stability, which is what we need right now whilst the squad gets sorted. I'd say we're 75% there in terms of sorting the squad.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Then your memory doesn't serve you very well, because there were plenty of people saying to get rid of Klopp after certain results. Do you not remember their big loss to Stoke?

Its a **** comparison, when Klopp joined Liverpool they didn't have a complete mess of a squad, they had no issues with stupid player wages and he essentially had a clean slate to work from. You can't disagree that Arteta didn't walk into a complete mess, said mess doesn't just take a few months to sort out.

Liverpool chopped and changed managers until they found Klopp, that's because Klopp became available, otherwise they would've continued to chop and change before a top manager became available.

United have chopped and changed for 8 years, they got fed up with that so said look we'll stick with Ole and let him build the side. Because United managers previously had been sacked for a lot less than where Ole had them in his first season. Because they stuck with Ole they managed to get a bit of stability, which is what we need right now whilst the squad gets sorted. I'd say we're 75% there in terms of sorting the squad.
How many full seasons has Ole had? 2/3. He has taken them to the CL last season and he has had them in the CL positions all this season. They are also favourites to win the EL (as **** as that is for a club the size of United).

I personally will never accept stability in 10th position. 5th/6th even maybe 7th if I see actually ideas being implemented and progress however slow it may be.

What I won't accept is saying we'll sure we are 10th and maybe next year we will will 9th and the year after 8th and that is all OK because we don't want to be a club that changes managers every 5 minutes.

Like I said before I have no issue being behind City/Lpool/United/Chelsea. Although I would absolutely hate it I could accept losing to United in say the final of the EL.

What I can't accept is being behind the likes of West Ham, Villa, Everton etc. What I can't accept is struggling against the worst benfica side in my lifetime and struggling to get through against Slavia Prague. No harm but nobody can excuse that. And that is were it falls on the manager.

Artetas job isn't to sort out contracts etc. His job is to win football matches. That is all. And if he isn't doing that he is of absolutely no use to us.

Tonight is make or break for Mikel. Just like Villareal will be if we manage to get through. If we lose to United so be it. But inferior sides need beaten. Especially over 2 legs. Also he needs to be taking almost maximum points from the league from here on in. This season shouldn't be regarded as a free hit for him. That was last year.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
How many full seasons has Ole had? 2/3. He has taken them to the CL last season and he has had them in the CL positions all this season. They are also favourites to win the EL (as **** as that is for a club the size of United).

I personally will never accept stability in 10th position. 5th/6th even maybe 7th if I see actually ideas being implemented and progress however slow it may be.

What I won't accept is saying we'll sure we are 10th and maybe next year we will will 9th and the year after 8th and that is all OK because we don't want to be a club that changes managers every 5 minutes.

Like I said before I have no issue being behind City/Lpool/United/Chelsea. Although I would absolutely hate it I could accept losing to United in say the final of the EL.

What I can't accept is being behind the likes of West Ham, Villa, Everton etc. What I can't accept is struggling against the worst benfica side in my lifetime and struggling to get through against Slavia Prague. No harm but nobody can excuse that. And that is were it falls on the manager.

Artetas job isn't to sort out contracts etc. His job is to win football matches. That is all. And if he isn't doing that he is of absolutely no use to us.

Tonight is make or break for Mikel. Just like Villareal will be if we manage to get through. If we lose to United so be it. But inferior sides need beaten. Especially over 2 legs. Also he needs to be taking almost maximum points from the league from here on in. This season shouldn't be regarded as a free hit for him. That was last year.

Not sure how many full seasons he's had, but he's spent around £300M.

If Arteta had spent £300M on the squad I'm quite certain he'd be in the top 4 right now as well.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

There's nothing wrong with chopping and changing managers. It's a role that is notoriously difficult when it comes to predicting future success.

If a manager isn't good, you get rid of him. Why keep him just because it would be your 3rd manager in 3 years? Letting a manager bury your team just for optics is not very clever.

If anything you ditch the manager and start to look at the person who keeps appointing the failures.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Not sure how many full seasons he's had, but he's spent around £300M.

If Arteta had spent £300M on the squad I'm quite certain he'd be in the top 4 right now as well.
Moyes didn't spend 300m. Don't think Villa have spent 300m since finishing 17th last season.

The money argument only goes so far. This squad should be higher than 9th/10th. And any manager worth talking about would have us higher than that position.

We are never going to agree on Arteta. You have your position and who knows. Maybe in 3 years when we have won the league I will look back and think. Thank **** we kept him. However I don't think that is realistic based on the evidence so far.

I always say. This is an Arsenal project. Not an Arteta one. Let's see what happens tonight and the rest of the season and then we can revisit this.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

Maybe it doesn't matter who made the cake, as long as it tastes good. We're midtable, our elite status is slipping away, we're not in a position to be choosy. What matters is winning more games and finishing higher in the table. Who cares about longevity.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Maybe it doesn't matter who made the cake, as long as it tastes good. We're midtable, our elite status is slipping away, we're not in a position to be choosy. What matters is winning more games and finishing higher in the table. Who cares about longevity.

Hence why if we finish below 8th and lose out on the Europa league he should go.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Does anyone think we have enough pedigree to pry Hansi Flick from Bayern? Sources are saying he’s going to take over Lowe for the Germany job but Flick seems too young in his career to go into international football. I like how his Bayern team attack, none of that conservative bullsh1t that Arteta feeds us.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
If Arteta did get sacked tomorrow, who would you all prefer to have in temporary charge while we sort out Rafa's 3 year deal...Per Mertesacker or Steve Round?

Top Bottom