• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
I'm sure his objective with the board pre-season was to get CL and he would have achieved that with a Europa win. As bad as we've been this season you can't argue with a European trophy so he'd obviously have to be backed again going into next season, hopefully with the squad in great confidence and we then see where we are in November/Decemberish.

Their has to be massive improvements in our league position though as that is your bread and butter and what you are judged on these days. I'm talking about seriously competing for anywhere between 3-5 in the league, I'm not expecting titles right now. Anything below that is failure for a club like Arsenal at this moment in time. We can't always be relying on Cup wins to scrape into Europe as that's not viable every year even though I'd love us to win trophies every season.

This is how I feel too. CL or out.

Not been impressed with him in the league and way he treated some players vs others.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
But you aren't getting what I'm saying. Lets take Chelsea for example. In 2009 Ancelotti joined Chelsea, he won the title in his first season after spending just £27M. That's all he needed to win a title for Chelsea. 27 million pounds. Chelsea's team had been built up over time through players like Terry, Lampard, Drogba etc.

The point I am making here is that you continuously go on about teams spending more than us, which is fair enough, we shouldn't be winning title after title because our spend isn't up there in the billions. But are you really going to sit there and tell everyone that you think 10 years isn't enough time to make another CL final or challenge for a premier league title? Because that is what you're implying.

If that isn't the case, then you must believe Wenger's recruitment after being able to spend was appalling. We should have won a premier league title between 2013 and Arsène leaving, but he failed to build a team to achieve that despite having the tools to do so. He spent around the same amount as Klopp in a very similar time frame, so you either believe his managing skills deteriorated or his signings were poor.

You can't just defend everything he did and blame everything else around it.
That’s just childish stuff 😂 Ancelotti may have only spent £27m in 2009 but over the five years previous when that squad was being built up here’s the spending of clubs in the Prem 2004-9. Look at Chelsea and look at Arsenal. Arsenal massively over performed for that spend. We should have been 10th, let alone making our way towards a title.

97608-D2-B-72-B2-4-DD0-8550-ABA967-EDE7-A3.jpg

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Squad cost, while mainly right, sometimes can be misleading.

Our squad in 2009/2010 should in no way have finished 10th ( would have been achievement to finish below Newcastle that season, considering they weren't even in the league :lol: ) the actual quality of the squad is the most important thing, you don't always get what you pay for.

3rd was about right for us in 09/10.

blrgooner

Established Member
We’ve never had a more expensive squad than those 4 clubs since 2004 but we did have a manager that could get in amongst them every year until our fans took up an aggressive campaign to undermine and remove him.

The last 4/5 years we’ve seen the results of that. But it doesn’t mean it can’t ever happen again. Just not as consistently as before.
This I agree with . Wenger was one the best managers ever. He is gone now unfortunately.
I think with most other managers, we would be 5th or 6th though. I seriously can`t think of a manager out there who would definitely get us top 4 with this squad.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Squad cost, while mainly right, sometimes can be misleading.

Our squad in 2009/2010 should in no way have finished 10th ( would have been achievement to finish below Newcastle that season, considering they weren't even in the league :lol: ) the actual quality of the squad is the most important thing, you don't always get what you pay for.

3rd was about right for us in 09/10.
In 2009/10 Arsenal, with no money, we had built a squad that could compete in the top 4 making an overall profit of £13m on player sales. And in addition we were even out spent by Sunderland.

That was a Herculean achievement and a complete one off in Premier League history, apart from the Leicester fluke, but unlike us they couldn’t maintain that standard.

mirrorstare

Also after last night's game, hope Arteta supporters realise that there's nothing wrong with our squad, it has a lot of potential. When he gets the selection and game plan right they become a lot better than West Ham and could easily be top 4.

Won't happen, the squad needs to be **** to justify Arteta's football

From made up dressing room whispers destroying the perfect coaching to calling them unprofessional for daring to go to the pitch and execute amateurish tactics.

Auba wasn't ill, he must be fighting the manager and ruining our club. Oh wait he was actually ill and wants to help the team ASAP? Arteta is such a motivator. And so on.

The squad cares about this club and they have shown it in this Europa run, but if the management side is so limited is no surprise the best they can achieve is midtable

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

So picture the scene.

Arteta gets us over the line in the Europa League, winning the next three games regardless of how that comes about.

What does that mean for his immediate future for you, does it change any current position you hold on his stay at the club?
I still won't believe in him based on our league season but the guy has literally met his objectives (just not the way we expected).

I think the fairest way would be to let him keep his job, albeit on a very tight leash, I'd want him gone at the first sign of him showing that this current season is his level. In addition to that I'd give him less control of transfers. Partey and Gabriel were both initiated by Raul. Arteta did the Willian deal all by himself and it's looking like a monumental waste of money.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I still won't believe in him based on our league season but the guy has literally met his objectives (just not the way we expected).

I think the fairest way would be to let him keep his job, albeit on a very tight leash, I'd want him gone at the first sign of him showing that this current season is his level. In addition to that I'd give him less control of transfers. Partey and Gabriel were both initiated by Raul. Arteta did the Willian deal all by himself and it's looking like a monumental waste of money.

I know you're on the Arteta out side of the divide generally which is fair enough but if hypothetically we win the Europa League that would mean that we've won 2 major trophies in Arteta's first 18 months here and qualified for the CL in his first full season ( Albeit in a round about way)

In that scenario I can't see anything but Arteta's leash being loosened even further and I think it would be hard to argue against it, just based on what I assume the goals given to him by the higher up's are at this stage.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I know you're on the Arteta out side of the divide generally which is fair enough but if hypothetically we win the Europa League that would mean that we've won 2 major trophies in Arteta's first 18 months here and qualified for the CL in his first full season ( Albeit in a round about way)

In that scenario I can't see anything but Arteta's leash being loosened even further and I think it would be hard to argue against it, just based on what I assume the goals given to him by the higher up's are at this stage.
Transfers and the results side of things are independent imo.

If Arteta wins the EL without Willian playing a part then it shows we’ve invested 200kpw in someone who was surplus to requirements. A signing that didn’t even help us meet our goals.

I think that’s justification to tighten his leash a bit in terms of picking the players, not in terms of backing him financially.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐

Not yet, mate, not yet. We've not won the EL yet, and we're certainly not making top 4 or 6. He has to qualify for the CL before he can win it. And he has to make Top 4 on his lonesome next year, if he's still here. Other than that, I'm not sure what objectives you're talking about.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

What objectives? Making the semis in Europa and 9th is good enough for you? FFS, "fans" like you switch your opinions like the W with wins every match. Wins over Sheffield united and Slavia is like winning the World Cup for you. Our club is doomed with short-sighted fans like you.
🤣 I’m on your side my guy.

His objectives are to get us into the CL, he’s just doing it the weird way. At the end of the day if he wins EL he’s met his objectives whether we believe in him or not.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
🤣 I’m on your side my guy.

His objectives are to get us into the CL, he’s just doing it the weird way. At the end of the day if he wins EL he’s met his objectives whether we believe in him or not.

Don't count you chickens, duckie.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Beating Villarreal over two legs, and potentially Utd in a Final, would be massively impressive.

Takes him into 2024-2025 with a new big contract as the above would mean two trophies in 18 months and CL delivered too - on paper that’s him more than ticking all the boxes.

No EL victory takes him into next season with pressure, so a lot is riding here.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Beating Villarreal over two legs, and potentially Utd in a Final, would be massively impressive.

Takes him into 2024-2025 with a new big contract as the above would mean two trophies in 18 months and CL delivered too - on paper that’s him more than ticking all the boxes.

No EL victory takes him into next season with pressure, so a lot is riding here.

Why would they give him a new contract if they already have a contract that ties him into 2023? No. They'll wait and see how next season shapes up, if they had a brain cell in their collective skulls.

Top Bottom