• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Managerial Royalty

GoonerJay24

4 years ago they won the Europa League.
Fair enough but they haven't challenged for the title since 2013 and given the money spent, they've underwhelmed.

We shouldn't be worrying about such a mediocre club but with Arteta as manager all standards have dropped.

Weliveinacrazyworld

A very, very well known member
We're not bad. Our players are not bad.

I think there is a timidity in the whole team that is turning very capable players into nervous wrecks.

To a certain extent, I agree.

I look at the teams above us on the table, and even though we’re not where we want to be, we still have a better team than West Ham, Everton, and Leeds. Remove Kane/Son from Sp**s, and we have a better team than them as well. There’s no reason we can’t finish 7th place (perhaps even 6th) with the current squad we have.

It just goes to show how far Arteta has underperformed and how the standards have dropped. 10th place for a club of Arsenal’s stature is simply not good enough. Replace him with a competent manager who actually knows how to play to the squad’s strength, and I see us going higher up the table to 6th/7th.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Unlike many here I think our squad is quite decent apart from a few obvious holes. Some of those holes could be filled by Arsenal players presently on loan.

We don't need Arteta's glorious tactical acumen that out foxes even himself. We need a man manager to shape up and enthuse the squad we have before it's too late. Even if results don't improve much the football would. That and not ruining the likes of Martinelli, ESR and Saka would be a good start.

How far we have sunk since the early Wenger days. We had better players then but such very different ones as the Romford Pele, Freddie, Anelka, probably TH14 would have been ruined by Arteta's over complicated yet naiive ego driven tactics and boring style of play. Please go.

Just on the squad alone, make a list of players who get into current top 4 teams, then start going down the league and player by player who actually gets into the top 6, 8 and 10 teams?

It's really difficult to place any of our players in top 4 teams. You have Tierney and Partey... maybe Gabriel but even he doesn't get into many sides. Saka and Leno get into a lot of teams as well, after that it's absolutely dire.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Just on the squad alone, make a list of players who get into current top 4 teams, then start going down the league and player by player who actually gets into the top 6, 8 and 10 teams?

It's really difficult to place any of our players in top 4 teams. You have Tierney and Partey... maybe Gabriel but even he doesn't get into many sides. Saka and Leno get into a lot of teams as well, after that it's absolutely dire.
How many West Ham players make it into the same squads you're talking about? Very few if any. Maybe Rice. That would be it.

However they are within touching distance.

The whole squad thing is valid if you are beating the inferior teams and finishing 5/6/7 behind the better squads.

However you cannot tell me that this Arsenal squad is only good enough to take 1 point from Villa/Burnley and Wolves. How its only good enough to draw with Fulham. How it is inferior to Everton.

The squad may not be able to compete for the league. I won't argue with that. It may also come up short for top 4. But should it be on par with Leeds? Nope.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It is rare and unusual for an assistant manager with no experience to become a manager of a big team.......... even Joachim Löw had some experience. Pep and Zidane all had some years of experience on youth teams, and being a youth coach teaches you a lot that you can't learn as someone's assistant. You get to learn to work with talented players who are far from perfect and needs guidance to reach your standards. Which is why I strongly feel Arteta should have never been allowed to become our manager unless he at the very least goes to coach the youth team of either us or City.
Yeah, not saying you're wrong.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
How many West Ham players make it into the same squads you're talking about? Very few if any. Maybe Rice. That would be it.

However they are within touching distance.

The whole squad thing is valid if you are beating the inferior teams and finishing 5/6/7 behind the better squads.

However you cannot tell me that this Arsenal squad is only good enough to take 1 point from Villa/Burnley and Wolves. How its only good enough to draw with Fulham. How it is inferior to Everton.

The squad may not be able to compete for the league. I won't argue with that. It may also come up short for top 4. But should it be on par with Leeds? Nope.

For the thousandth time West ham are that team that every now and then get into the top 7 places. They're playing well above their level in a very weird season. You cant compare anything to West Ham this season.

You're correct the squad shouldn't finish lower than 8th really. However if you take even Everton team for example, how many of our players get into that starting 11?

Personally my joint Arsenal/Everton side would be -

Leno
Coleman
Godfrey
Gabriel
Tierney
Allan
Partey
Saka
James
Richarlison
Calvert Lewin

6 Everton and 5 Arsenal... that is SHOCKING. Even Leeds four or five of their players probably get into our starting 11. Which again is shocking.

UnbiasedNeutral

If I don't survive, tell my wife "hello"
I think Digne is possibly better than Tierney as good as Tierney is, so that would make it 7/4. Everton have a supposed world class manager with Ancelotti too. Hmm...

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
For the thousandth time West ham are that team that every now and then get into the top 7 places. They're playing well above their level in a very weird season. You cant compare anything to West Ham this season.

You're correct the squad shouldn't finish lower than 8th really. However if you take even Everton team for example, how many of our players get into that starting 11?

Personally my joint Arsenal/Everton side would be -

Leno
Coleman
Godfrey
Gabriel
Tierney
Allan
Partey
Saka
James
Richarlison
Calvert Lewin

6 Everton and 5 Arsenal... that is SHOCKING. Even Leeds four or five of their players probably get into our starting 11. Which again is shocking.
But West Ham are earning their season. So while I get some teams click for a year or two and can drop down after that they are still overperforming. And you have to ask why. Has Moyes different personnel? Not really. He hasn't 10 new players from last season. But maybe he's playing the players to their strengths not his perfect idea.

At the moment your Everton/Arsenal team is about right. I'd probably go ESR/Ødegaard/Auba over James. Out of the 3 probably ESR. James started well in the season but has been hugely inconsistent and missing.

One thing I'll say about Everton is more or less you could guess their starting 11 more often than not. Mikel has never giving players the chance to develop partnerships and connections. Which in turn inhibits the team.

Thursday needs to fastforward and come. It feels like these league games are pointless and have been most of the season.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

Absolute BS. Look at Leeds. Look at Stuttgart. If you're good enough you can make anyone play a certain way to a certain degree. Success is another question, but playing style is not. If Mikel was Pep mk2 Arsenal would play like that and may still sit 10th due to player quality - similar to Potter's Brighton - but Arsenal is 10th and playing ****e.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Was from 4th to 3rd league back then, today after a reform in 2005 it would be 5th to 4th league. Just for perspective. Also got fired for not getting them into the 2nd Bundesliga and went back to being an assistant.

Yes, but he managed, thats the point. Zaidan didn't do too well with the RM youth team, but he managed. Management is about carrying the sole responsibility. It's about managing personalities and knowing how to utilise tools, and yes failing. 9 years as manager, 13 as chief assistant winning a WC in the process, can anyone dare compare that to Arteta's 3 years as cone boy and Ipad handler?

Arsenal Quotes

If he sent an apology it must have been by horse

Arsène Wenger on apology from Ferguson

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 31

Arsenal are interested in Benfica CB Antonio Silva, but will have to trigger his £85m release clause to sign the 20 year old [Correio de Manha]

Youngster Charles Sagoe Jr is set for a loan spell at League One side Charlton Athletic [Online Gooner]

Arsenal have moved on to targeting Benfica midfielder Joao Neves after Martin Zubamendi indicated a preference to remain in La Liga [Teamtalk]

Liverpool, Arsenal and Bayern Munich have all made an approach to PSV forward Johan Bakayoko [Hbvl]

Latest posts

Top Bottom