• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I am pro Martinez, always been, but it is not the same to be at Arsenal or Villa and then compare the numbers.

Martinez's numbers are probably better then most keepers in Europe, yet....what does it really mean?
Why not? If you think number of shots faced by a Villa GK will be higher, we can easily factor that in by taking a ratio of goals allowed to shots stopped. And then there is this whole matter of making high claims and catches where Martinez is way ahead which matches our eye test too. Martinez was clearly more confident and commanding in the box.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
As someone who made lot of points using him, I completely agree 😌

Me too, he's been my keeper all season in Sky Fantasy. A mate sets a league up every season, we all pay £10 winner gets 60%, 2nd 30% 3rd 10% I've won every month bar one. Theres only 9 of us but I'm 360 pts ahead so I stand to get £45. tbh I'm not a betting man but its definitely £10 of fun over a whole season. :)

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Me too, he's been my keeper all season in Sky Fantasy. A mate sets a league up every season, we all pay £10 winner gets 60%, 2nd 30% 3rd 10% I've won every month bar one. Theres only 9 of us but I'm 360 pts ahead so I stand to get £45. tbh I'm not a betting man but its definitely £10 of fun over a whole season. :)
I have been playing for the last 5 years. Mostly on the FPL site. We don't play with money. As soon as a gameweek starts, my WhatsApp group gets flooded with messages swearing at players. Fun times 😀

benjamin86

Established Member
I have been playing for the last 5 years. Mostly on the FPL site. We don't play with money. As soon as a gameweek starts, my WhatsApp group gets flooded with messages swearing at players. Fun times 😀
Are you guys in the Arsenal-mania league? (it's fpl)

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Martinez also beats Leno on shots stopped vs faced ratio.

Yes but what don't you get about Martinez faced more shots? Therefore he will obviously have a higher ratio.

The shots faced to shots stopped ratio is actually almost the same for both. That is a fact, and from watching Leno you know he is an elite shot stopper. Stop it.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Yes but what don't you get about Martinez faced more shots? Therefore he will obviously have a higher ratio.

The shots faced to shots stopped ratio is actually almost the same for both. That is a fact, and from watching Leno you know he is an elite shot stopper. Stop it.
The absolute shot count would change. But not the ratio. And even in that ratio, Martinez is ahead:
Martinez save % is 77.4 and Leno's is 68.5.
If Martinez faced 100 shots, he would have saved 77.4 out of them. If Leno has faced 100 shots, he would have saved 68.5 of them. I accept that Leno has made some fantastic saves. But Martinez has been upto the task and also more consistent in making the stops.

ChefMan21

So many benefits to signing him:

1. He's injury crocked
2. He's not playing
3. He's at the end of his career
4. He's miserable
5. He's earning plenty

Good player and all, but it's got to be an appearance fee based contract and in our favour imo.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Why not? If you think number of shots faced by a Villa GK will be higher, we can easily factor that in by taking a ratio of goals allowed to shots stopped. And then there is this whole matter of making high claims and catches where Martinez is way ahead which matches our eye test too. Martinez was clearly more confident and commanding in the box.
just doesnt make any decent sense.
If Martinez was never ours and just had a season like this, all AM would be laughing their ass off at the idea of him becoming our no.1, and all we would be hearing would be: 'another stat player' or '

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Ramsey has to do a couple of years at Chelsea before we hand him his retirement bonus, those are the rules now.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Going to do my yearly summer window prediction. I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

In essence fairly early on I believe we will sign Ryan permanently, Bertrand on a free, Bissouma and a right back, although I genuinely don't have a clue who we'll go for. Emerson looks like he's staying in La Liga. Not sure on Aarons myself, maybe a right back from Ligue 1 is en route. Anyway, it'll probably be around £20-25M for whoever we get.

After that we will sign a creative midfielder/attacker. Thinking we could potentially be back in for Aouar but we'll see. Grealish is the dream here.

Thesis is based on Fabrizio saying we will 100% sign a new right back, Ceballos going meaning we need to sign a CM and Ødegaard going so we need to sign a creative player. Ryan and Bertrand are self explanatory.

After that and probably after the euros we'll have too many players on the books. That's when it becomes a one out one in policy. Specifically regarding the senior players. If Leno is sold a GK is signed. If xhaka is sold another CM signed, same thing applies to Lacazette etc etc.

TL;DR --

Ryan
Bertrand
Bissouma
Right back
Creative player

GK if Leno sold
CB if Holding/Chambers go
CM if Xhaka goes
ST if Laca goes.

I do expect two of the above to happen. In terms of who for the right back and creative role it's tough. There's plenty of right backs attainable in the 15-25M range. I think we need to blow the big money on a creative player. They do make a huge difference but it has to be a star, so a Grealish type would be ideal. Can't think of many if I'm honest.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

So many benefits to signing him:

1. He's injury crocked
2. He's not playing
3. He's at the end of his career
4. He's miserable
5. He's earning plenty

Good player and all, but it's got to be an appearance fee based contract and in our favour imo.
Was a huge liability in our midfield, never a good player.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
The absolute shot count would change. But not the ratio. And even in that ratio, Martinez is ahead:
Martinez save % is 77.4 and Leno's is 68.5.
If Martinez faced 100 shots, he would have saved 77.4 out of them. If Leno has faced 100 shots, he would have saved 68.5 of them. I accept that Leno has made some fantastic saves. But Martinez has been upto the task and also more consistent in making the stops.
@American_Gooner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom