• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Hector Bellerin (Loan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I probably eat less meat than you. And its not a shortcoming for a human being to eat meat, get a grip ffs.
Like I said, it's not a competition. I try to eat as little meat as possible, but I don't want to give it up completely and I wouldn't try to convince anyone to eat no meat, it's a personal decision.

It is a fact that a lot of people in the 'developed' world eat too much meat, so it is a shortcoming in a sense. We eat on average more than double the recommended daily portion (let alone that the recommended amount of proteins can be consumed in other ways). This is disastrous for health (look at weight related health issues), planet (livestock is the largest source of CO2 emission), and animals (about 70 billion animals slaughtered a year, a neglible amount lives and dies in a humane way).

pikey2000

Like I said, it's not a competition. I try to eat as little meat as possible, but I don't want to give it up completely and I wouldn't try to convince anyone to eat no meat, it's a personal decision.

It is a fact that a lot of people in the 'developed' world eat too much meat, so it is a shortcoming in a sense. We eat on average more than double the recommended daily portion (let alone that the recommended amount of proteins can be consumed in other ways). This is disastrous for health (look at weight related health issues), planet (livestock is the largest source of CO2 emission), and animals (about 70 billion animals slaughtered a year, a neglible amount lives and dies in a humane way).
things you never thought you'd learn on the AM forum :) You know when our transfer business is slow, it spins off in so many random directions, check the Xhaka thread, that bad boy has a whole other dialogue going on :)

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

things you never thought you'd learn on the AM forum :) You know when our transfer business is slow, it spins off in so many random directions, check the Xhaka thread, that bad boy has a whole other dialogue going on :)
Nothing beats the Xhaka thread! Proud #1 following the Özil trade!

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
The idea that veganism will change anything in a substantial way is a massive lie. This veganism trend is a hipster thing, it has nothing to do with mama Earth or animal rights. Btw: I can barely eat meat nowadays due to hypersensitivity so i have nothing to be ashamed of. My stomach problems are not topic though. So back to the vegan hero.

I'm always astonished how much crap you can come up with at times, it's never been about anything you talk about.

People constantly discussing Bellerin's vegan lifestyle as some sort of weakness and reason for bad performances is just plain wrong and laughable.

MikeVinna

Established Member
There’s a couple documentaries on Netflix about the meat and fishing industries that are worth checking out. I’ve never been a big meat or fish eater myself but the global numbers are truly insane. Seaspiracy especially showed me a lot of stuff I didn’t know.

Liam_Og

There’s a couple documentaries on Netflix about the meat and fishing industries that are worth checking out. I’ve never been a big meat or fish eater myself but the global numbers are truly insane. Seaspiracy especially showed me a lot of stuff I didn’t know.
as someone who is from a farm and all of my ancestors have farmed. Those documentaries are hype served to unassuming masses.

farming and fishing on an industrial scale are questionable no doubt, but There is no need for the media and influencer to point the finger at every farm as the problem, we have 260 acres of grass bordered with mature trees and 15 acres of managed softwood forestry, 125 cattle and 400 sheep managed on a low input system. The media forgets to tell you that we are carbon negative, and that would account for 99% of all farming in the UK and Ireland.
I watch medias perception of farming with such annoyance as its always totally biased.
Jeremy Clarkson’s Farm goes live on Amazon Prime tomorrow i think, will be interesting to see if there is a swing in the public’s perception of local Agriculture.

back to football.

Malky

Established Member
as someone who is from a farm and all of my ancestors have farmed. Those documentaries are hype served to unassuming masses.

farming and fishing on an industrial scale are questionable no doubt, but There is no need for the media and influencer to point the finger at every farm as the problem, we have 260 acres of grass bordered with mature trees and 15 acres of managed softwood forestry, 125 cattle and 400 sheep managed on a low input system. The media forgets to tell you that we are carbon negative, and that would account for 99% of all farming in the UK and Ireland.
I watch medias perception of farming with such annoyance as its always totally biased.
Jeremy Clarkson’s Farm goes live on Amazon Prime tomorrow i think, will be interesting to see if there is a swing in the public’s perception of local Agriculture.

back to football.
Good to see a another farmer on this forum :thumbsup:

What these Netflix documentaries also fail to mention is that its all through the eyes and words of vegan activists, it's obviously going to be incredibly one sided and focusing on the most extreme cases.
It's also worth a mention, which seems to be completely overlooked in the past year, that during the height of lockdown, when all the travel bans were in place, the level of pollution in the UK dropped like a brick! Despite the fact that farming in the UK was still running at 100%, but the media will tell you the pollution is caused by cow farts :lol:
As someone who is also from a farm it really is sickening the way british agriculture is put across in the media, like you said, all they're doing is showing what they want and pushing an agenda.
Clarkson's farm should hopefully be a good watch and an eye opener for some.

Bloodbather

Established Member

A Bellerin-Trippier swap would be pretty funny to me, since I sold Bellerin and replaced him with Trippier in my Arsenal save on FM.

(I did have Jayden Bogle backing him up though, so Trippier was a short-term solution until Bogle became a starter)

Reactions: A_G

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Good to see a another farmer on this forum :thumbsup:

What these Netflix documentaries also fail to mention is that its all through the eyes and words of vegan activists, it's obviously going to be incredibly one sided and focusing on the most extreme cases.
It's also worth a mention, which seems to be completely overlooked in the past year, that during the height of lockdown, when all the travel bans were in place, the level of pollution in the UK dropped like a brick! Despite the fact that farming in the UK was still running at 100%, but the media will tell you the pollution is caused by cow farts :lol:
As someone who is also from a farm it really is sickening the way british agriculture is put across in the media, like you said, all they're doing is showing what they want and pushing an agenda.
Clarkson's farm should hopefully be a good watch and an eye opener for some.
CO2 levels, not pollution. Different things. You shouldnt distrust facts and research. All that is being said is we need to relook our lifestyles and make effort to live more sustainably, healthily and reduce the impact on the environment. Going vegan is one way some people have chosen to do their bit.

The reality is that around 73% of farmed animals in the UK are kept in factory farms while it is 99% in the US.

Last edited:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
My family are dairy farmers going way back. You can say small UK dairy farms aren't the biggest problem while also saying that a lot of modern agriculture is contributing to environmental damage. The huge swathes of the USA taken up by intensive cattle production for example, or palm oil production. The demand for cheap meat directly harms the environment, that's just a fact. Therefore eating less meat is a logical thing to do to try to counteract that.

As for farmers being demonised by the media, if anything farmers are too romanticised and actually the harsh realities of their lives are not appreciated by city folk. If any farmers should be demonised it's the millionaire farmers with huge ranches in America or the ones with thousands of acres of arable in southern England, they're the pricks.

Liam_Og

CO2 levels, not pollution. Different things. You shouldnt distrust facts and research. All that is being said is we need to relook our lifestyles and make effort to live more sustainably, healthily and reduce the impact on the environment. Going vegan is one way some people have chosen to do their bit.

The reality is that around 73% of farmed animals in the UK are kept in factory farms while it is 99% in the US.

Stats can be made up to prove anyones point from any angle. 56% of all people know that.

you are 100000% wrong on your numbers. british isles are one of the most efficient ways to farm livestock. And its all down to the weather, most of southern and central europe does not have the rainfall to sustain an all year round grass crop. UK and Ireland do, hence why the majority of livestock (ovine/bovine) are on a grass fed diet, the only housing requirements being during winter months when growth slows down, and shocker, for the animals own welfare!

and if you are talking co2 levels with regard to the choice of being vegan (which i wholly respect people who decide to turn to veganism) next time you are in your supermarket and you pick up any salad item look at the place of origin, tomatos from spain grown in actual factory farms in Almeria where there are literally 30 miles of plastic and glass greenhouses growing crops that are drip fed on 1000’s of tonnes of imported soil. With a huge carbon input without the conversation about the actual cost of transport to your supermarket shelves.

The carbon costs to rear, butcher and sell a british bred lamb are equivalent to that of 18 avocados from peru. And there is a lot more eating in a lamb.

Back to football.

bellerin is one of arteta’s lieutenants. He’ll only be sold late in the window if its the difference between getting another target or not - much like martinez was sold instead of leno to free up funds for the partey deal.

Liam_Og

The demand for cheap meat directly harms the environment, that's just a fact. Therefore eating less meat is a logical thing to do to try to counteract that.
Counter argument incoming.

The consumers drive the demand for cheap meat. If people were prepared to pay a small premium for local (British) produce it would completely nullify your arguement, and the issue with deforestation for feedlots and palm oil is in south america, a continent desperate to grow its GDP.

pay british farmers a little more, they can produce at a lower carbon input, they might even make a little profit, which would be no harm as they’d get taxed on that, which i’m sure the NHS will find handy. Or you could buy your peruvian avocados and help a drugs Barron wash his dirty money.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Counter argument incoming.

The consumers drive the demand for cheap meat. If people were prepared to pay a small premium for local (British) produce it would completely nullify your arguement, and the issue with deforestation for feedlots and palm oil is in south america, a continent desperate to grow its GDP.

pay british farmers a little more, they can produce at a lower carbon input, they might even make a little profit, which would be no harm as they’d get taxed on that, which i’m sure the NHS will find handy. Or you could buy your peruvian avocados and help a drugs Barron wash his dirty money.

Well aye in an ideal world people would consume meat less often but of a higher quality and locally produced, but I don't see how that works economically. Can you really tell someone struggling to make ends meet in an inner city council estate that they should pay a bit more for British lamb. A lot of people just need sustenance and they get it from cheap meat. That needs to change. Surely it's about behaviour, we have to understand that eating a cheap burger from MacDonalds on a wednesday evening isn't normal. That's where veganism comes in, it's about behaviour.

Farmers should be getting paid more, 100%, but I'd also argue it needs to be gov subsidies. Payment for ecosystem services for example, you can pay land owners to implement changes to the water ways on their land, thus reducing pollutants in the water and saving on purification costs. Pay farmers to look after the land.

Liam_Og

Well aye in an ideal world people would consume meat less often but of a higher quality and locally produced, but I don't see how that works economically. Can you really tell someone struggling to make ends meet in an inner city council estate that they should pay a bit more for British lamb. A lot of people just need sustenance and they get it from cheap meat. That needs to change. Surely it's about behaviour, we have to understand that eating a cheap burger from MacDonalds on a wednesday evening isn't normal. That's where veganism comes in, it's about behaviour.

Farmers should be getting paid more, 100%, but I'd also argue it needs to be gov subsidies. Payment for ecosystem services for example, you can pay land owners to implement changes to the water ways on their land, thus reducing pollutants in the water and saving on purification costs. Pay farmers to look after the land.
We are coming close to agreeing.

i fully accept that there is a certain collection of people that need to have access to cheaper food, so we cannot eradicate the problem totally.

i am making reference to those who go to do their ‘big shop’ and put £150 into the trolley but would rather pay £5.25 for the New Zealand lamb than they would the £5.95 for the UK lamb or are happy to pay £1.79 for the Egyptian potatos instead of £2.09 for some grown in cambridgeshire. The extra £1 on the £150 is goingn to make little to no difference to that family but it is the beginnings of behaviour to change our carbon footprint.

i also agree with programs to protect the environment, whilst they are introduced all the time, the large majority who participate in them do so for the financial relief it brings, rather than the actual wholistic environment protection.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Stats can be made up to prove anyones point from any angle. 56% of all people know that.

you are 100000% wrong on your numbers. british isles are one of the most efficient ways to farm livestock. And its all down to the weather, most of southern and central europe does not have the rainfall to sustain an all year round grass crop. UK and Ireland do, hence why the majority of livestock (ovine/bovine) are on a grass fed diet, the only housing requirements being during winter months when growth slows down, and shocker, for the animals own welfare!

and if you are talking co2 levels with regard to the choice of being vegan (which i wholly respect people who decide to turn to veganism) next time you are in your supermarket and you pick up any salad item look at the place of origin, tomatos from spain grown in actual factory farms in Almeria where there are literally 30 miles of plastic and glass greenhouses growing crops that are drip fed on 1000’s of tonnes of imported soil. With a huge carbon input without the conversation about the actual cost of transport to your supermarket shelves.

The carbon costs to rear, butcher and sell a british bred lamb are equivalent to that of 18 avocados from peru. And there is a lot more eating in a lamb.

Back to football.

bellerin is one of arteta’s lieutenants. He’ll only be sold late in the window if its the difference between getting another target or not - much like martinez was sold instead of leno to free up funds for the partey deal.
stats are not made up. Stats are statistics based on actual facts. Do not take it personally...no one is asking you to live only on avocados from Peru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom