• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Willock: The True Joerdie

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
You should try to sign a deep lying playmaker (DLP) who can find his run and make the best out of his goal scoring.

DLP Partey Willock midfield 3 will look good.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
You should try to sign a deep lying playmaker (DLP) who can find his run and make the best out of his goal scoring.

DLP Partey Willock midfield 3 will look good.
It may not be that simple.

MutableEarth’s post here has well summarised willock’s strengths and weaknesses. And I think we need a very specific system to get this type of player to play well.
Here:

Basically, their suggestion is to sell unless we actually plan on using him, which I agree with. If (by some measure of disappointment on my part) we don't have any actual concrete plans to use him properly if at all, we should absolutely sell. Personally, he would be in my plans 200% but it's Arteta's gig and honestly, I have no idea exactly what it is he wants going by who isn't in our first choice plans :lol:.
Willock can work in a double pivot. For example, in a 3-4-3.
However, there are several weaknesses in him. When he make forward runs, he will leave a huge space in the midfield area.

This can be fixed with having the wide midfielder tuck inside, occupying the original space willock has left. Now willock is occupying the half space (which the wide forward was occupying, so the wide forward can run wide to keep the width for the team.
Here below, is how it looks like after the movements are made. Willock can use his strengths to attack the box in the half space (Note that his starting position was as a central midfield in a double pivot.)
(And of course, this is only one possible solution if we want to play good/attacking/entertaining football. We can fill up the space he left with other kind of movements. However, if we want to play shxt/boring/defensive/relegation football, then the solution would just be having everyone else staying at the back to fill in the gaps he has left.)
Without a clear tactical plan, we will be at picture 2 (as above), which the opponent team will rape us with counter attacks.
However, there are other weaknesses that stops willock from playing well in this midfielder/attacking midfielder/striker hybrid position.

When he is occupying the half space, his role there is mainly to be an attacking midfielder. The problem is that he is not a creative player, he is not a skillful dribbler, and he is not a great passer to occupy in that critical half space. He is not going to create much in this area which we need creativity the most. You can see how many through balls/amazing passes that KDB had made in this position, that willock are just not capable of.

I get that his strength is to pick the right time, to make runs into the box, become the striker and score. However, how many times will the right time exist in a match? If there are so few of these, it means most of his time, he would have to try creating for the team in the half space outside the box as an attacking midfielder. Willock just doesn’t have the close control/through passing ability to operate in this small pocket of spaces.

And that is where he is lacking. If he could improve on this, then great, I would loved to watch him play week in week out. But for now, I don’t think he is good enough for this role. ESR would be a good fit.

Last edited:

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
There's a danger of over thinking this. Lampard was never amazing on the ball but he had massive offensive output working with a more defensive midfield partner. Yes for it to work you need another player dropping back when Willock goes forward but that's fine. I think the ideal is a 4-3-3 with a creative player like Aouar, and all rounder like Partey and a 3rd man runner like Willock who can also score and drop deep to defend and ball win.

I think some people are underestimating how elite he has been this season when playing for Newcastle and against lesser opposition in Europe. He might not push on, fine, but it's worth the chance surely

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
There's a danger of over thinking this. Lampard was never amazing on the ball but he had massive offensive output working with a more defensive midfield partner. Yes for it to work you need another player dropping back when Willock goes forward but that's fine. I think the ideal is a 4-3-3 with a creative player like Aouar, and all rounder like Partey and a 3rd man runner like Willock who can also score and drop deep to defend and ball win.

I think some people are underestimating how elite he has been this season when playing for Newcastle and against lesser opposition in Europe. He might not push on, fine, but it's worth the chance surely
Because Chelsea had everyone behind the ball playing ugly defensive boring football. Willock can work in that kind of system too.

But Arsenal should never play like that. That’s why we have to find solutions for fitting him in an attacking side. And he himself should improve on his weaknesses.

Barry

Sure, that's an opinion, but it's also considered one of the 5 greatest teams of the PL era. I'd just like to see us find a system that consistently wins football matches. No problem with 1-0 to the Arsenal

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Anyone want to start a campaign for Wilock to get into the side as a striker? His midfield qualities with his eye for goal maybe revolytionarybfor us. Scoring 7 in 7 is not luck...hope we realizeand took note of the position Bruce played him in. You have your Auba/Laca replacement. Similar build and style to Dominic Calvert Lewin.

GoonerJay24

He needs to be partnering Partey from next season. Obviously given his age, there is room for much development particularly in that deeper role. He shouldn't be expected to play every match but certainly someone worth persisting with.

Leno
Niles Saliba Mari Tierney
Partey Willock
Pepe ESR Saka
Lacazette/New Striker

Wouldn't mind seeing that team in our easier home games. If allowed time to grow and build partnerships through cohesion; those players could play some sweet football.

I doubt Arteta is the man to lead though.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Anyone want to start a campaign for Wilock to get into the side as a striker? His midfield qualities with his eye for goal maybe revolytionarybfor us. Scoring 7 in 7 is not luck...hope we realizeand took note of the position Bruce played him in. You have your Auba/Laca replacement. Similar build and style to Dominic Calvert Lewin.
He's better behind the ball, not ahead of it. Striker wouldn't work.

In all honest, he should be playing in a flat midfield, either a double pivot or a 3 man. The attacking side of his game is emphasized because of his goals but I think once he's sharper, his passing will improve a lot. There's much more to his game than the stats suggest. I'm expecting a huge improvement in all areas of his game whether he leaves Arsenal or not. It'll just be classic Arsenal that we won't get to reap the benefits unless you think £30m towards a "first teamer" who probably won't move the needle for us counts as benefits! :lol:

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

It'll just be classic Arsenal that we won't get to reap the benefits unless you think £30m towards a "first teamer" who probably won't move the needle for us counts as benefits! :lol:

But but but but Arteta needs HIS players!!!!

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
It may not be that simple.

MutableEarth’s post here has well summarised willock’s strengths and weaknesses. And I think we need a very specific system to get this type of player to play well.

Willock can work in a double pivot. For example, in a 3-4-3.
However, there are several weaknesses in him. When he make forward runs, he will leave a huge space in the midfield area.

This can be fixed with having the wide midfielder tuck inside, occupying the original space willock has left. Now willock is occupying the half space (which the wide forward was occupying, so the wide forward can run wide to keep the width for the team.
Here below, is how it looks like after the movements are made. Willock can use his strengths to attack the box in the half space (Note that his starting position was as a central midfield in a double pivot.)
(And of course, this is only one possible solution if we want to play good/attacking/entertaining football. We can fill up the space he left with other kind of movements. However, if we want to play shxt/boring/defensive/relegation football, then the solution would just be having everyone else staying at the back to fill in the gaps he has left.)
Without a clear tactical plan, we will be at picture 2 (as above), which the opponent team will rape us with counter attacks.
However, there are other weaknesses that stops willock from playing well in this midfielder/attacking midfielder/striker hybrid position.

When he is occupying the half space, his role there is mainly to be an attacking midfielder. The problem is that he is not a creative player, he is not a skillful dribbler, and he is not a great passer to occupy in that critical half space. He is not going to create much in this area which we need creativity the most. You can see how many through balls/amazing passes that KDB had made in this position, that willock are just not capable of.

I get that his strength is to pick the right time, to make runs into the box, become the striker and score. However, how many times will the right time exist in a match? If there are so few of these, it means most of his time, he would have to try creating for the team in the half space outside the box as an attacking midfielder. Willock just doesn’t have the close control/through passing ability to operate in this small pocket of spaces.

And that is where he is lacking. If he could improve on this, then great, I would loved to watch him play week in week out. But for now, I don’t think he is good enough for this role. ESR would be a good fit.
You’re a smart guy. Why don’t you write more stuff like this? This is very informative

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
Here:

Basically, their suggestion is to sell unless we actually plan on using him, which I agree with. If (by some measure of disappointment on my part) we don't have any actual concrete plans to use him properly if at all, we should absolutely sell. Personally, he would be in my plans 200% but it's Arteta's gig and honestly, I have no idea exactly what it is he wants going by who isn't in our first choice plans :lol:.
Well Arteta shouldn't be in the job.....but that's a different discussion. We should keep Willock and see how he develops under a competent manager when Arteta inevitably gets sacked.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Hoping the lad stays but I’m not sure he’ll do much under Arteta. Loan him for another year and get him back when he has a bit more experience and we get an experienced manager in that can get us top 4 consistently again.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
How many years left on Willock's contract? 2 years? If that's the case, why the club does not renew his contract? I hope that Arteta includes Willock in his plan for this coming season.

OSBK

Established Member
I think he needs another loan. This a crucial point in his career, if he stays and gets limited game time then it will ruin him at arsenal. A season at newcastle and a healthy goal return and good performances and he walks back into the club established and ready to start.

I also think aswell playing at newcastle will help him grow as a man. Messing around with auba and laca isnt good for anyone, bruce will have hin playing a more pysical style of football which for him and us is perfect.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Could see him developing into a Jordan Henderson style player, if he keeps this up. Could become a very effective player. Definitely needs another season of regular Premier League football either at Newcastle or elsewhere

Barry

I think he needs another loan. This a crucial point in his career, if he stays and gets limited game time then it will ruin him at arsenal. A season at newcastle and a healthy goal return and good performances and he walks back into the club established and ready to start.

I also think aswell playing at newcastle will help him grow as a man. Messing around with auba and laca isnt good for anyone, bruce will have hin playing a more pysical style of football which for him and us is perfect.

Wouldn't be against a loan, but if he carries on as he left off people on here will be going mad at the hierarchy for letting him go in the first place.

We've got a bit of a free hit this season, I think we should try and play him in a midfield three and give him experience with Arsenal. If it works we'll have a massive goal threat from midfield - if it doesn't we can still loan or sell in January

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

I agree and I've said it many times. The only way we should sell is if we really really really need the money, if not then another year at Newcastle makes sense for all involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom