• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Martin Ødegaard: Öde To Joy

Will Ødegaard get over 10 G/A in the Premier League this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Your mod friends are terrible on here, why is there a thread open to a Real player?

They won’t lock this, only because I asked for it to be locked last week. It’s like a protest against me now.

Leave me alone today please

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Had a mediocre game, in a horrid game where Norway lost 1-2 vs Greece. He started as a number 10 in a 4-2-3-1. After being 0-2 down at half time, he was moved to a central midfield position in a 3-4-3. Provided an assist by a corner, but ultimately this was thin gruel.

Mavropanos had a good game in a Greek back 3/5.

That's interesting, I was wondering what his international performances were like.

Mavro is a powerful bastard though, good to see him doing well

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

That's interesting, I was wondering what his international performances were like.

Mavro is a powerful bastard though, good to see him doing well
Need to remember this Norway side has just sacked Lars Lagerbeck, and is pretty much in a mess at the moment. Even Haaland can't score. Yes, I thought Mavropanos looked very solid, but Haaland had no service in the first half. Greece played with 3 CBs and that probably helped as well. Looks a good prospect.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
On twitter all i'm seeing is Ødegaard got 2 assists in 5 months. This is the problem, this is the stats generation of football. In some cases, its fair to use stats, but in others its best just to watch the game and see what impact certain players have on a team. Modric for example, got 3 assists in La Liga this season. Zidane, managed something like 15 in Serie A, it didn't stop him being the best playmaker in the league.

I feel Ødegaard is getting judged harshly, people want a Bruno or KDB.

GDeep™

League is very weak
On twitter all i'm seeing is Ødegaard got 2 assists in 5 months. This is the problem, this is the stats generation of football. In some cases, its fair to use stats, but in others its best just to watch the game and see what impact certain players have on a team. Modric for example, got 3 assists in La Liga this season. Zidane, managed something like 15 in Serie A, it didn't stop him being the best playmaker in the league.

Bruno is one of the poorest players I have seen in a long time, lazy, selfish, can’t pass etc.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

Didn't he do that amazing pre-assist for Willian in one match as well? Modric's numbers have always been light but he plays further back I think. In his best performances for us Ødegaard controlled possession and controlled the match. Didn't see it often enough but he's young and still learning the league, team etc. I'm warming up to Ødegaard again now Buendia is off the table

Squillaci

Anything above 30 million is a bad deal. He might turn out to be a great signing for us, but nothing at the moment warrants he is worth more.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Didn't he do that amazing pre-assist for Willian in one match as well? Modric's numbers have always been light but he plays further back I think. In his best performances for us Ødegaard controlled possession and controlled the match. Didn't see it often enough but he's young and still learning the league, team etc. I'm warming up to Ødegaard again now Buendia is off the table
He had a lot of pre assists. No surprise to me that Partey, Pepe and Chambers all improved when Ødegaard stepped into the side.

People seem to want a numbers guy, or a player to get you on the edge of your seat, but this is the type of attacking mid we need. We have ball carriers in Saka, ESR, Pepe.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
If he doesn't pass backwards he regularly crumbles under opposition pressure, can't have a 10 like that. Personally it's not that I want more 'numbers' or that I 'expect too much' from him, I just don't think the player generates attacking advantage at anywhere near the rate we need. I'd sooner go back in for Aouar at this point.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐

Doesn't create they said, too passive they said. Look at the the amount of openings he creates. Wonderful player, top talent who will only get better. Needed.
Sign him up. I wanted Buendia but Ødegaard is certainly my second choice. And is a safer signing in some ways.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Sign him up. I wanted Buendia but Ødegaard is certainly my second choice. And is a safer signing in some ways.
He's what we need. Even above Grealish. I think people have the wrong idea about what type of player Grealish is, he's a ball carrier who plays best as a creative winger, similar to a Hleb or Nasri. We have this in Saka, ESR and Pepe. We need someone who will play centrally, get them the ball, release the ball at the right time, Ødegaard is that player.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
He's what we need. Even above Grealish. I think people have the wrong idea about what type of player Grealish is, he's a ball carrier who plays best as a creative winger, similar to a Hleb or Nasri. We have this in Saka, ESR and Pepe. We need someone who will play centrally, get them the ball, release the ball at the right time, Ødegaard is that player.
I see where you are coming from for sure. Although Grealish is proven world class quality, he is quite similar to ESR.

Ødegaard is more in the Özil/Silva mould; while being more suitable for the pressing in the modern game. My only reservation is does he limit us to just 4231 or can a future manager or position change by Arteta still find an effective place for him?

Apart from that if we sign him we are set for almost a decade if we keep him and ESR. I like how they’re literally opposite in the way they operate as AMs. You can play both vs parked buses or play one of each depending on the opposition.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
I see where you are coming from for sure. Although Grealish is proven world class quality, he is quite similar to ESR.

Ødegaard is more in the Özil/Silva mould; while being more suitable for the pressing in the modern game. My only reservation is does he limit us to just 4231 or can a future manager or position change by Arteta still find an effective place for him?

Apart from that if we sign him we are set for almost a decade if we keep him and ESR. I like how they’re literally opposite in the way they operate as AMs. You can play both vs parked buses or play one of each depending on the opposition.
He can play deeper, he played CM for Sociedad where he was one of the best mids in the league. The compilation shows his vision and execution from deep. I think fans have judged him harshly, it was a short loan spell, coming into a team which didn't know how to attack. Fans seem expect a Bruno/KDB numbers guy. There is a lot more to come from Ødegaard, unlike Bruno, you can see he makes the players around him better and gets them involved in the game in the right areas.

Yes i like the option of playing both together at times, linked up well vs Brighton. I think ESR is best as a LW.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
He can play deeper, he played CM for Sociedad where he was one of the best mids in the league. The compilation shows his vision and execution from deep. I think fans have judged him harshly, it was a short loan spell, coming into a team which didn't know how to attack. Fans seem expect a Bruno/KDB numbers guy. There is a lot more to come from Ødegaard, unlike Bruno, you can see he makes the players around him better and gets them involved in the game in the right areas.
Yeh he was also judged unfairly because he got injured on international duty, played 3 games for Norway, then returned to us injured. If I had to guess I would say he was playing through discomfort or painkillers here after that.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Yeh he was also judged unfairly because he got injured on international duty, played 3 games for Norway, then returned to us injured. If I had to guess I would say he was playing through discomfort or painkillers here after that.
Fans only seem to remember the performances vs City and Liverpool where we didn't get out of our half. Games where everyone played badly and the tactics were clearly all wrong.

CountChocula

This. He was judged unfairly on his performance against Villareal despite it being his first start after injury. You could tell he wasn't 100% because he didn't try to dribble anyone until the Brighton game where he was magnificent and closer to his displays against West Ham pre-injury.

Say what you want about Arteta and Edu, but I think going for Ødegaard over Buendia actually shows ambition, because the former's ceiling is a lot higher and comes with a higher sticker price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom