• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ben White

Worse Deal?

• Ben White for £50m

• Harry Maguire for £80m

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Gabriel = aerial duels. White = interception machine. Guy who plays it out the back.

Mari = aerial duels. Saliba = Guy who plays it out the back.

Great mix.
Players with aerial ability do not pin themselves to players who are good in the air. It's not hard to move to the cb who isn't good in the air. CBS can't exactly switch positions. I can't remember the last time we had a cb pairing that wasn't good in the air.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Players with aerial ability do not pin themselves to players who are good in the air. It's not hard to move to the cb who isn't good in the air. CBS can't exactly switch positions. I can't remember the last time we had a cb pairing that wasn't good in the air.

Kosc and Merte were our last best CB partnership. Merte was the aerial guy and Kosc the mop.

A mop next to an aerial dominant CB is key. Gabriel is serially dominant. Stats show it in France and he's been good in the air here as well.

Iceman10

Established Member
He's had a massive half season after recovering from injury. Last year he did well too, albeit in a lower league. He's not a ball playing CB, but could see him working next to Mari or Saliba really well.
I think the problem is that you can only keep one of him or Saliba - he probably loses out from being the lesser talent. It's a big call between them though. I just hope we don't end up losing both
New commenter, joined May 2021. Look forward to seeing more of your stuff here at A-M.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
He's had a massive half season after recovering from injury. Last year he did well too, albeit in a lower league. He's not a ball playing CB, but could see him working next to Mari or Saliba really well.
I think the problem is that you can only keep one of him or Saliba - he probably loses out from being the lesser talent. It's a big call between them though. I just hope we don't end up losing both
What we have got is two very different styles of defender. It'll be telling if Arteta isn't able to use either of them.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
People harp on the Mertesacker and Kos partnership too much. They complimented each other, sure, but the following act was Mustafi, Gabriel Paulista, Squilacci, Djourou, Et. Al.

If you put two good defenders next to each other, who are not completely brain dead like Mustafi was, it'll usually work out.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
His awareness is a bigger strength then his aerial weakness.

Saliba, if we ever see him, Gabriel and Holding all have decent aerial duel stats, I’m not sure it’d been too much of an issue.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
For a club with our notoriously finite budget even be considering paying the English player premium for this kid when we have better players under contract just shows how dumb those in charge are. If you're going to pay that premium, do it for Grealish, not this kid. Absolutely nonsensical.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
If the reports are true that they want to offer Nketiah a new deal to "protect his value", then it's not so strange to think they gave Holding a new deal to protect his value. So I wouldn't say Holding is a sure bet to be here for the long-term, although he could be.

But even if you bring in White and Saliba, I mean there's a lot of talent there, but no real experience or leadership. It's like we're trying to bring in young players all over the team, in addition to the young players we already have. Where's the experience, where are the leaders next season?

Iceman10

Established Member
It's like we're trying to bring in young players all over the team, in addition to the young players we already have. Where's the experience, where are the leaders next season?
This wouldn't fit with Arteta's tendencies last season to prefer experience to youth options in multiple instances, so something doesn't quite add up.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I'm more intrigued by White as a DM than a CB. Did anyone watch him at Leeds in the Championship.

Yes, he played there 4 times because of injuries and no other reason. He is a CB who played in a back four under Bielsa, got voted Leeds Young Player of the Year.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
This mornings article says he's the main target for CB (Jules Kounde mentioned again) and that we will be making an offer soon.

Surprised Tapsoba hasn't been mentioned since.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I think you have to be careful with stats with defenders. For example even though it pains me to say it take one of the best central defensive partnerships of the last 20 years, Ferdinand and Vidic. I don't have stats but going from memory I would imagine Ferdinand had pretty poor aerial stats as Vidic was the one who attacked most things that came in the air. And vice versa I bet Vidic's distribution and passing stats weren't that great as that was where Ferdinand excelled.

I haven't seen Ben White or Brighton enough to really judge but central defence is all about a partnership and he doesn't necessarily need to be a beast in the air if his partner excels at that. Gabriel and Mari are both good in the air so partnered with either he could be absolutely fine.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I think you have to be careful with stats with defenders. For example even though it pains me to say it take one of the best central defensive partnerships of the last 20 years, Ferdinand and Vidic. I don't have stats but going from memory I would imagine Ferdinand had pretty poor aerial stats as Vidic was the one who attacked most things that came in the air. And vice versa I bet Vidic's distribution and passing stats weren't that great as that was where Ferdinand excelled.

I haven't seen Ben White or Brighton enough to really judge but central defence is all about a partnership and he doesn't necessarily need to be a beast in the air if his partner excels at that. Gabriel and Mari are both good in the air so partnered with either he could be absolutely fine.

Scouting for CBs in general is very tricky. We watch comps and look at stats but that doesn't tell you if they'd fit or not, it's so system dependent. Ruben Dias for example is a good player but he's been made to look like a Player of the Year winner because of the system there, he could just as well go to a different system and look nothing special.

Saliba is a great example, you look at his stats and they are VERY different season to season, his stats at St Etienne compared to Nice are like a totally different player. So you really can't point to raw CB stats and say that's what they'd do in a different team.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric

Vidic was more aggressive in the air but Ferdinand was excellent in the air. Rarely beaten in the air

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20

He doesn't really seem to excel in any stat, though. I don't know him very well, looked like an interesting prospect at Leeds, but hasn't really caught my eye at Brighton this season to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom