• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I'm not exactly fully off the Arteta train, but this sounds like battered housewife syndrome.
Fair enough.

I don't see it as that. I was firmly behind Arteta but at the end he couldn't pick a settled team. Maybe he just didn't fancy the players and felt he had to change but it annoyed me as he should have known his best line up even if he didn't fancy them.

This window gives him a chance to get his own players in and select the best 11. If he signs players and continues to chop and change then it shows he is out of his depth.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Dont forget, Wilian Soares, and Mari were his own players.

Only Mari decent. Wilian he forcefully played him at the expense of results. I just hope his big name signings are right and start with a bang.

Wiggins

I expect us to do a lot better next season. Depth has been very big problem for us and without Europe it won't be quite as noticeable. However by next season hopefully we'll have improved ourselves in that department.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Fair enough.

I don't see it as that. I was firmly behind Arteta but at the end he couldn't pick a settled team. Maybe he just didn't fancy the players and felt he had to change but it annoyed me as he should have known his best line up even if he didn't fancy them.

This window gives him a chance to get his own players in and select the best 11. If he signs players and continues to chop and change then it shows he is out of his depth.

Players like Willian/Ceballos/Ødegaard were the ones Arteta fought hard to get in......... what makes you think Arteta getting "his own players in" will make any difference?

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Players like Willian/Ceballos/Ødegaard were the ones Arteta fought hard to get in......... what makes you think Arteta getting "his own players in" will make any difference?
Ceballos was already here before he came in. And Ødegaard came in and done well. Willian hasn't worked out. Partey and Gabriel have been good. So yeah I trust him to add the pieces to the puzzle.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Ceballos was already here before he came in. And Ødegaard came in and done well. Willian hasn't worked out. Partey and Gabriel have been good. So yeah I trust him to add the pieces to the puzzle.

He fought to get Ceballos on a second loan for no good reasons........ then both Partey and Ødegaard have been mixed bag while Gabriel might not even be a starter next season seeing how much Arteta loves Mari.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

He fought to get Ceballos on a second loan for no good reasons........ then both Partey and Ødegaard have been mixed bag while Gabriel might not even be a starter next season seeing how much Arteta loves Mari.
Where you see mixed bag I see glass half full and hope the remaining pieces nit the team together.

I think we've done more good than bad business under Arteta. We've got rid of a few long term problems and I see us coming out the other side more agile and ready for the campaign.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
Watching France today, that is how You set a team for quick players. Se have Martinelli, Saka and Auba, even ESR isnt slow. Still our manager makes us play the slowest football in the League. Just make quick transitions yo those players once we steal a ball instead of giving the ball to Leno every facking time.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Watching France today, that is how You set a team for quick players. Se have Martinelli, Saka and Auba, even ESR isnt slow. Still our manager makes us play the slowest football in the League. Just make quick transitions yo those players once we steal a ball instead of giving the ball to Leno every facking time.
Arteta doesn’t see the game this way. Guardiola’s disciple, needs to pass the ball aimlessly amongst the defence a hundred billion times.

yorch44

Arteta doesn’t see the game this way. Guardiola’s disciple, needs to pass the ball aimlessly amongst the defence a hundred billion times.
I don't uderstand managers. There are two moments or phases in offensive set up during a match, one is when You have full control of the ball, for example in the goal kick, You can control and play possesion football if You want.

But the most important to me is the one when You recover the ball. You can play like we do and have no variants ir You could counter attack with pace when opposite teams are Open. You exploit their mistakes giving space to your players.

In other words, You can play both ... A good manager have the ability to ser the team to press high for moments or sit deep and counter for other. Those variants make You unpredictable. We need that.

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
I don't uderstand managers. There are two moments or phases in offensive set up during a match, one is when You have full control of the ball, for example in the goal kick, You can control and play possesion football if You want.

But the most important to me is the one when You recover the ball. You can play like we do and have no variants ir You could counter attack with pace when opposite teams are Open. You exploit their mistakes giving space to your players.

In other words, You can play both ... A good manager have the ability to ser the team to press high for moments or sit deep and counter for other. Those variants make You unpredictable. We need that.
Arteta is a terrible inexperienced manager. This is why you don't understand him.

yorch44

Arteta is a terrible inexperienced manager. This is why you don't understand him.
It's not a coincidence we had won some games against top teams. Because we had to counterattack and that suits our players.

ragnarock

I get what you are saying but it’s a bit reductionistic. Depending on how you define the game (how you break it down) there are more phases of play than two. My FA defines attacking as buildup, breaking into box and countering. I believe the English FA adds ‘midfield progression’ as well but might be wrong. My point is there is a lot more to account for than ‘do this or that’, before even adding defending to the mix which is pretty relevant.
Anyways, what you are describing is basically tactical flexibility (adapting your model depending on how your opponents set up), which I am a big proponent of but it is not as easy as it seems, you really need players that are super competent (physically/mentally/tactically/technically) in doing both those styles you are describing (possession based and more direct play), as well as you need a very coherent group for it to work.

I completely agree that it’s something to strive for (unpredictability) but it’s not as simple as that. Especially not for the current Arsenal.

yorch44

I get what you are saying but it’s a bit reductionistic. Depending on how you define the game (how you break it down) there are more phases of play than two. My FA defines attacking as buildup, breaking into box and countering. I believe the English FA adds ‘midfield progression’ as well but might be wrong. My point is there is a lot more to account for than ‘do this or that’, before even adding defending to the mix which is pretty relevant.
Anyways, what you are describing is basically tactical flexibility (adapting your model depending on how your opponents set up), which I am a big proponent of but it is not as easy as it seems, you really need players that are super competent (physically/mentally/tactically/technically) in doing both those styles you are describing (possession based and more direct play), as well as you need a very coherent group for it to work.

I completely agree that it’s something to strive for (unpredictability) but it’s not as simple as that. Especially not for the current Arsenal.
I know I keep ir simple. It's more complex but we would be writring super long posts about it. You can see it in zones of the pitch and time.

For example, I can ask My team to press high their defenders to force their mistakes. But if they the first 1/3 pass pressure then the team sets deep to defend.

What You do once You recover the ball, You pass it behind? Or You go vertical like France? What You do when You have full control of the Game? Cross every ball to a Target man? Walls and triangles? I think we have a lot to fix. We don't have ah style. I just know se play súper slow with players who are very every fast. No logic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom