• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Even if Elneny starts every game Xhaka has to go. We can't keep a player near universally disliked. It's not good for him, his family, his team mates, the club or the fans.

It hasn't worked. That's fine admitting it and moving on is best for everyone.

Think this is it. I think Xhaka is a good player (appreciate others will disagree) who is settled in the team and is coming off a good season and euros.

But he's probably the most disliked Arsenal player that I can remember. Even when he has a good game, a lot of supporters just can't give him any credit. Even pundits, they were all shocked he played well against France, despite putting in lots of good big game performances (Chelsea, United, Sp**s) for Arsenal. Its a toxic atmosphere and him leaving is for the best.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Even if Elneny starts every game Xhaka has to go. We can't keep a player near universally disliked. It's not good for him, his family, his team mates, the club or the fans.

It hasn't worked. That's fine admitting it and moving on is best for everyone.

Think this is it. I think Xhaka is a good player (appreciate others will disagree) who is settled in the team and is coming off a good season and euros.

But he's probably the most disliked Arsenal player that I can remember. Even when he has a good game, a lot of supporters just can't give him any credit. Even pundits, they were all shocked he played well against France, despite putting in lots of good big game performances (Chelsea, United, Sp**s) for Arsenal. Its a toxic atmosphere and him leaving is for the best.
I always say people judge footballers like it's a popularity contest, people just don't like Xhaka so won't give him credit or cut him any slack. People were never as mad at Torreira for example as they were with Xhaka.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I always say people judge footballers like it's a popularity contest, people just don't like Xhaka so won't give him credit or cut him any slack. People were never as mad at Torreira for example as they were with Xhaka.
Definitely part of it. Xhaka didn't make it easy. Big price tag at the time a lot of mistakes and then obviously the finger gesture. He has rightly taken stick for his performances but that's also crossed way over the acceptable line. The club, the players and he himself had wasted so much energy, resources and goodwill on a losing battle. We should have got rid of him sooner. Like a bad manager once that tide had turned its near impossible to turn it back.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Definitely part of it. Xhaka didn't make it easy. Big price tag at the time a lot of mistakes and then obviously the finger gesture. He has rightly taken stick for his performances but that's also crossed way over the acceptable line. The club, the players and he himself had wasted so much energy, resources and goodwill on a losing battle. We should have got rid of him sooner. Like a bad manager once that tide had turned its near impossible to turn it back.

This is true, but on the other hand a club can't make decisions based on who the fans like and dislike, that is a recipe for disaster.

I think the turning point for most was the substitution incident (Xhaka included), but I think Arteta likes Xhaka as a player and decided to count on him for one more year. Makes sense he goes now.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Xhaka has just been here so long & we have been dropping down the league every year with three managers losing their jobs. :lol:

Its nothing unique with Arsenal fans in these circumstances players just become disliked unless they have links to the club.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Xhaka has just been here so long & we have been dropping down the league every year with three managers losing their jobs. :lol:

Its nothing unique with Arsenal fans in these circumstances players just become disliked unless they have links to the club.

Nope., He's disliked for very legitimate reasons that concern his quality and his actions on the pitch. He's no scapegoat.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
It's probably a bit of both, tbh...Xhaka is the Giroud of midfielders, both good players, but both a significant drop from our main strikers/midfielders that they had to follow.

If you look at the level of players we have had in midfield before Granit (Vieira/Fabregas/etc) you can see why many view a player like Xhaka to not be good enough.

Plus his signing was the point when the club really started to fall, as has been said...a lot of fans can link bad memories with Xhaka, plus he has also made a ton of errors here.

It's best for both if we part ways, he will do much better in a league that suits him anyway.

Last edited:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

It's pretty jokes, how good the left side of our backline is with Shaw and Maguire in comparison to the right side.
I am saying this through gritted teeth, but I have been quite impressed by Maguire both on and off the pitch this tournament. Hadn’t really heard him in interviews before but he is well spoken and can articulate himself pretty well. I think he might be a good captain for England potentially. He would at least be a huge improvement over Kane in interviews!

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Fans constantly moan about transfer fees; paid to much etc, paid £80mil which is £30mil too much blah blah and in reality have no idea what the true value of a player is.

Everyone is quick to jump on a transfer fee when they got no inside knowledge and then slag off the people with the knowledge who sanction these massive deals who are backed with stats and marketing details.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Fans constantly moan about transfer fees; paid to much etc, paid £80mil which is £30mil too much blah blah and in reality have no idea what the true value of a player is.

Everyone is quick to jump on a transfer fee when they got no inside knowledge and then slag off the people with the knowledge who sanction these massive deals who are backed with stats and marketing details.
not convinced the clubs do either :lol:

the ex Palace owner always talks on the radio about how its the major deals that really shape the market for everyone else as then used as a point of reference effecting all clubs

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
As there seems limited interest & a reluctance pay a decent fee for even our better 'for sale' players like Hector & Xhaka Its going to be almost impossible to offload some of the others.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐

We only moan about transfer fees because we always seem to buy them high and sell them low. We have, I believe, very little confidence in those who do our signings, hence the complaints. Had the fans had more faith in those running the club, we would see a lot less grumbling around these parts.

mirrorstare

Nope., He's disliked for very legitimate reasons that concern his quality and his actions on the pitch. He's no scapegoat.

Right now he is, he's getting the blame for turning us into a midtable team when that one is 100% on Arteta.

Xhaka can be blamed for making us drop from top 4 to top 6, but not beyond that.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom