• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emile Smith Rowe: The Croy-10 Cruyff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Mikel Arteta, speaking for the first time this pre-season, has brought welcome news for Arsenal fans.

Following the 2-1 friendly loss to Hibernian in Edinburgh last night, the Arsenal manager answered questions surrounding the game and the travelling squad at the side of the pitch.

With much of the talk this summer surrounding Emile Smith Rowe’s future, Arteta was as insistent as most have been throughout the summer that the 20-year-old will remain in north London this summer.

“Without a question. Yes. He (Smith Rowe) will stay here — 100 per cent,” he said at Easter Road.

Then came a follow-up on his views on the two bids made by Aston Villa to try and prise Smith Rowe away to the Midlands. A pause followed and with a smile, he answered “no comment” before ending with a laugh.

With Smith Rowe a key figure in Arsenal’s upturn in form midway through last season, the notion of now selling him, to most observers connected with the club, has been laughable. The attacking midfielder, who turns 21 this month, is about to embark on his first full season of Premier League football and should remain an essential element of Arteta’s plans.

With the nature of pre-season fixtures, especially the first one, not much can be read into these encounters. For instance, against Hibernian, who finished third in the Premiership last season, Arsenal played a 4-4-2 — a system they are not likely to use often in the coming season — but one thing that did continue from 2020-21 was that they were much better with Smith Rowe on the pitch.

That ability to move the ball with so few touches to speed the game up was vital and will remain so once the games begin to matter next month. The midfielder scoring their only goal of the night will not count as much of a consolation considering the result, but as an area of his game that he is looking to improve, continuing to make those steps will be as encouraging as the confidence around keeping him.

Although Arsenal have only officially signed one player so far in this window — Nuno Tavares — the direction they are attempting to move has been exemplified clearly since his arrival. The 21-year-old left-back was brought in last week primarily to deputise for Kieran Tierney. His introductory interview exploded on social media as he referred to Smith Rowe as “The Smith”, but importantly, the reason he pointed him out was “because he is (in) my generation”.

The remit throughout this summer in regards to incoming transfers has been younger players with scope to improve, rather than more experienced players who have been bought in past windows. With that clear direction, identifying those who already fit that bracket at the club remains imperative, especially when they are as talented and useful as Smith Rowe.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He looked very sharp today. Only thing he needs to bring forth is his shooting. Just doing a bit too much with the ball before deciding to take the shot.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

He's better than Maddison, Aour, Ødegaard etc we should build the team around him and Saka and bin the expensive plodders.
Unfair for him to carry the burden alone no? He will miss games - would you not want cover even if inferior?

At times it felt like every game Saka and ESR didn't start last season gave Arteta license to lose, that can't happen again.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I think we should make him the main man too, at least for this season, to see how he copes...we have less games this season anyway, so we can keep an eye on his fitness much easier.

I still don't think we can afford a top CM and a top AM, on top of White (and a decent back up goalie) think CM is much more important, imo...think it could really be the making of ESR, if we showed that much faith.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Was thinking the same. I get that sense with Saka and Nelson too actually, they don't look like confident and regular strikers of the ball.
This is exactly it. Much more magnified with Nelson because of how scarce his opportunities have been in comparison but it's certainly not helping his cause as he cannot afford to lack conviction. His hunger and conviction should outweigh his lack of confidence - Saka has that issue less but it's still quite marked in his case. Saka was hitting rockets regularly at youth level. ESR and Nelson both were known for having sweet strikes.

They have to work through this at some point.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Why not? He's a quality player, Saka plays every week so I don't see why ESR can't. He was one of our best players last season, dunno why you hate our youth players so much.
You're the one who calls all of them Hale End hype jobs not me. I think fans get carried away with ESR but that's not to say he shouldn't be main man or isn't amazing for his age.

Something happens to ESR people will just shrug and say "oh well seasons over" then Arteta gets away with another sh*t season scot free- that can't happen again.

It will be you having violent convulsions and rolling your face on the keyboard when Lacazette has to fill in there anyways, I'd be fine.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
You're the one who calls all of them Hale End hype jobs not me. I think fans get carried away with ESR but that's not to say he shouldn't be main man or isn't amazing for his age.

Something happens to ESR people will just shrug and say "oh well seasons over" then Arteta gets away with another sh*t season scot free- that can't happen again.

It will be you having violent convulsions and rolling your face on the keyboard when Lacazette has to fill in there anyways, I'd be fine.
Arteta is on thin ice one injury to ESR won’t stop him getting criticised. I think you’re running from ghosts that aren’t chasing you in the sense of getting heated over hypotheticals.

ESR is good enough to start and will only improve, no point in spending obscene money on maddison or aour. We need some CMs cos all we have right now is Partey and El Neny.

And I’m pretty sure you’re the one whose gonna be stressing having to spend another season tryna defend lacazette pretending to be unbothered lol.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Arteta is on thin ice one injury to ESR won’t stop him getting criticised. I think you’re running from ghosts that aren’t chasing you in the sense of getting heated over hypotheticals.

ESR is good enough to start and will only improve, no point in spending obscene money on maddison or aour. We need some CMs cos all we have right now is Partey and El Neny.
I think there is nothing wrong with finding cheap cover or a loan who we could comfortably bench if ESR is shining.

When your boi Arteta decided to go through the first half of last season with no #10 that was brutal. ESR also hasn’t had the best injury records - but let’s agree to disagree.

I don’t think the club will go into this season with just ESR anyways so in a way, this is irrelevant.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I think there is nothing wrong with finding cheap cover or a loan who we could comfortably bench if ESR is shining.

When your boi Arteta decided to go through the first half of last season with no #10 that was brutal. ESR also hasn’t had the best injury records - but let’s agree to disagree.

I don’t think the club will go into this season with just ESR anyways so in a way, this is irrelevant.
Don’t you lot ever get sick of the medicore back up players and loans? All we ever do is bring in sh*t players anyway. You’re not gonna find a good cheap number 10 anywhere.

I was being called a troll for not wanting Arteta and saying he’s a terrible choice lol the forum eventually all agreed with me as usual. People are too easily fooled.

If we buy another number 10 might as well have sold ESR to Villa. Trust me he got a new squad number and new contract, he’s gonna be our starter even if you hate it, you’re gonna have to deal with it.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
ESR's level next season, when we don't sign any attacking mids and make him the main man...

...at least up until January, as he will get injured around that point...then when we go on a poor run of form due to no number 10 and finish 8th again, none of it can be blamed on Arteta, as pointed out by my boy Macho :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom