• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ben White

Worse Deal?

• Ben White for £50m

• Harry Maguire for £80m

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I don’t hate Bellerin or Cedric as much as this forum, but I’d be massively disappointed if this area wasn’t upgraded and one of these back ups sold this summer. Lamptey isn’t necessarily the answer but he was one of Brighton’s best players and we’ve spent 50 million boys on someone else.

I like White too, relieved he will be benching Holding. The aggression and persistence we’ve shown with this transfer is puzzling though, would like to see it elsewhere.

I doubt Cedric will see much game time next season, especially with no Europe...while the only time you will see Bellerin, is when Chambers needs a rest...Big Calum will be making that RB spot his own this year, may God have mercy on us all...

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I don’t think it would be hard to get a solid rb. But not this guy. I don’t think he is even as good of defender as bellerin. The boy from I seen can’t defend. But is a weapon going forward with his pace
I don’t give that much of a sh*t about Lamptey tbh, you’re missing my point.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
he is definetely much better ball player. Big part of Artetas style is your back 5 keeping the ball and passing it around to control matches. White will be a playmaking center back. Offcourse his 5'11 frame aint gonna do anything to help us on set pieces. So we will definetely become weaker in set pieces playing him in back 4. I still dont see us playing with White in back 4. We will play with 3 CBs
There have been a few very notable CBs under 6 foot. But undoubtedly height helps in this position. Virgil Van Dyke‘s over 6ft 4 and very athletic. There’s no way at a set piece, 1:1 that Ben White could out jump him.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

There have been a few very notable CBs under 6 foot. But undoubtedly height helps in this position. Virgil Van Dyke‘s over 6ft 4 and very athletic. There’s no way at a set piece, 1:1 that Ben White could out jump him.
I agree. But we are already a team with not a lot of size and struggling in this aspect. So white for holding straight swap makes us weaker in set pieces. I fear we may become an area teams target us next season

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I doubt Cedric will see much game time next season, especially with no Europe...while the only time you will see Bellerin, is when Chambers needs a rest...Big Calum will be making that RB spot his own this year, may God have mercy on us all...
Calum will be injured and even if he’s not, he’s not the answer. Not for first choice anyways.

Riou

The height thing is annoying at this point, tbh...it helps, but we have Gabriel who is massive anyway, you can make do with one shorter CB...the best CB pairing Arsène made, had Kolo Toure in it, who wasn't the tallest.

White-Gabriel have everything to be a good pairing.

The money thing is also weird, though more understandable with how much we have wasted in the last 5 years...but at the end of the day, the club made White their main CB target, and got him...sure we maybe paid too much (but don't forget, a coach as renowned as Bielsa bid like £35 million for him, before he ever played in the Premier League) but if we got him for cheaper, it wouldn't have made him a better player...that will have nothing to do with his price, that's down to how he performs when we get him.

Let's just hope he plays well for us.

Riou

I don’t think you guys understand lol if Bellerin isn’t sold and a 1st choice replacement doesn’t come in, this summer window is a bust.

Regardless of what we do elsewhere.

No one seems to want him though, Inter only want a loan...nothing we can really do until someone comes in with a bid tbh, which isn't really the club's fault, we can't force a £25 million bid from someone.

I agree we need a new RB, but the centre of the pitch is the most important for a football team, imo...if we can only make 2 big signings this window, CB and CM are the key ones, you have to have good players there or everything falls apart...we can probably make do with the gimps we have at RB, until next year.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

The height thing is annoying at this point, tbh...it helps, but we have Gabriel who is massive anyway, you can make do with one shorter CB...the best CB pairing Arsène made, had Kolo Toure in it, who wasn't the tallest.

The money thing is also weird, though more understandable with how much we have wasted in the last 5 years...but at the end of the day, the club made White their main CB target, and got him...sure we maybe paid too much (but don't forget, a coach as renowned as Bielsa bid like £35 million for him, before he ever played in the Premier League) but if we got him for cheaper, it wouldn't have made him a better player...that will have nothing to do with his price, that's down to how he performs when we get him.

A study in Holland over several years showed a direct correlation between the height of a team and the ability to score/defend set pieces. But to be honest you don’t need a study to know that on average, shorter players can’t jump as high. :lol:

Whether over a season having one small CB under 6’ will make a difference to set piece score lines is for Arteta to stand or fall on. It’s his decision.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I don’t think you guys understand lol if Bellerin isn’t sold and a 1st choice replacement doesn’t come in, this summer window is a bust.

Regardless of what we do elsewhere.

Not sure I agree. Especially if we get the CM/AM in. I think Chambers is fine as long as we get the CM/AM done.

Riou

A study in Holland over several years showed a direct correlation between the height of a team and the ability to score/defend set pieces.

I like that it took them several years, they really wanted to be sure.

For their next study they should look into if allowing fast players to run fast, will increase their chances of getting on to the end of passes from the midfield...this one might take them a couple of decades before they get their results though, it's a tricky one.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

For their next study they should look into if allowing fast players to run fast, will increase their chances of getting on to the end of passers from the midfield...this one might take them a couple of decades before they get their results, it's a tricky one.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly who thinks about studying this nonsense.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

No one seems to want him though, Inter only want a loan...nothing we can really do until someone comes in with a bid tbh, which isn't really the club's fault, we can't force a £25 million bid from someone.

I agree we need a new RB, but the centre of the pitch is the most important for a football team, imo...if we can only make 2 big signings this window, CB and CM are the key ones, you have to have good players there or everything falls apart...we can probably make do with the gimps we have at RB, until next year.
clubs clearly want Bellerin, we just need to lower our asking price a bit.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

For their next study they should look into if allowing fast players to run fast, will increase their chances of getting on to the end of passers from the midfield...this one might take them a couple of decades before they get their results, it's a tricky one.
Bet you didn’t know that between 25% and 33% of goals are scored by set pieces every season. The amount of useless information on this forum is mind boggling tbf.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

A study in Holland over several years showed a direct correlation between the height of a team and the ability to score/defend set pieces. But to be honest you don’t need a study to know that on average, shorter players can’t jump as high. :lol:

Whether over a season having one small CB under 6’ will make a difference to set piece score lines is for Arteta to stand or fall on. It’s his decision.
Sterling out jumping Holding to score his goal against us last season kinda blows all those studies out the water tbh.

I have no problems with Whites height (not saying this is what this debate is about I haven’t been following).

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Not sure I agree. Especially if we get the CM/AM in. I think Chambers is fine as long as we get the CM/AM done.
I’m assuming AM and CM gets done. I’m ok with the rumours and activity there, I need to see something at RB for this to be a successful summer.

With the personnel we have the aggressive pursuit of White confused me that was my main point. Glad we signed him though.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

White isn't that good in the air but he isn't even short, he's 6'1 :lol:

Gabriel is 6'3, Mari (whatever you think of him) is 6'4 and Holding (usually good despite being outjumped by Sterling :lol:) is 6'2. This is probably one of the bigger CB rosters we've had in quite a few years. It's a shame we don't also have Saliba in there to add his considerable frame but height for me is less of an issue. More pressing is the lack of actual athleticism outside of Gabriel. We've purged the more error prone defenders, now we need a bit of speed and front foot defending from the collective. I think White definitely helps us in that area, even if we sacrifice a bit of aerial security.

After White, we just need a RB who's capable of playing on the front foot himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says: "With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way".

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom