• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ben White

Worse Deal?

• Ben White for £50m

• Harry Maguire for £80m

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

White reading this thread on his holiday must be seriously questioning his abilities as a defender.

Listening to "Skee-Lo - I Wish" while crying himself to sleep - topping himself haunting in the back of his mind.

We must try to be responsible posters as the posts here can have serious consequences.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
White reading this thread on his holiday must be seriously questioning his abilities as a defender.

Listening to "Skee-Lo - I Wish" while crying himself to sleep - topping himself haunting in the back of his mind.

We must try to be responsible posters as the posts here can have serious consequences.

If I knew an Arsenal player or soon to be Arsenal player posted here I would have serious doubts over his mentality and sanity.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I don't want to keep mediocrity no. But Arteta spent £75M in his first summer, what top manager for any top club in world football does well with the squad we had when he first arrived and just £75M? Especially in this day and age.

Ole and United are a prime example of stability working. Your thought process is chop and change manager until someone works. What you gonna do when the next man comes in and flops? After a year want him out as well after he's spent another 100M on completely different players? It just doesn't work, the players play for Arteta, new faces are coming in, i really want him to do well. I'm not sure why others want him to suffer and do badly really, its in our interests as Arsenal fans that he does well. And saying that you hope he doesn't so Saliba can come back is utterly bizarre, this isn't Saliba FC.
You take posts way too restrictively, but let me share my vision on managers.

Of course, I want Arteta to succeed and lead us to a championship/champions league. I was actually excited when he was announced because he seemed to be highly rated as a coach and I dread football's conservative approach to managers (there are 'sociological' reasons for that, but let's not get into that now).

However, I think managers only have a couple of months to show that they can book progression with a squad. In one and a half season, I haven't seen anything other than an incredibly short-lasting bright start to suggest that Arteta is the right man to lead our squad forward. Our football is more boring than ever and he has managed to completely miss out on Europe for the first time in how long, 25 years?

I think managers deserve time if they show potential. They are also allowed to submit their preferences for players, but a club should never buy players solely on the recommendation of managers. Firstly, being a good coach does not mean you're a good scout. Secondly, the manager is more often than not a passenger. Thirdly, it's up to senior leadership to project and protect the identity of a club and to identify targets based on that vision. Ideally, the manager buys into the vision and can contribute to identifying the right targets, but it's never the sole responsibility of the manager to get 'his' players.

Look at how quickly Tuchel got Chelsea ticking. When Klopp arrived it took time for Liverpool to get going, but you could see from the beginning where they were heading. I think Ole and United are actually a poor example. I see very little vision in his work. He mostly seems to rely on a brilliant moment by Bruno Fernandes or a dive by one of his forwards to win games. Few matches last season I thought they were actually impressive and imposing.

Edit: I hope Arteta does well but I expect he doesn't and I hope that if he doesn't our bums in the leadership position have the balls to replace him and the brains to do so adequately, but I have very little faith in them as well.

Last edited:

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Difficult to get excited about this really when it means Saliba is basically finnished here and our midfield is still utter poverty
This is one of those situations where blind faith is required.

Stings though cause Arteta and Edu haven't earned that level of trust but we just have to take it. That's why ESL didn't upset me this club hasn't been my club for a while now.

carlito'sway

Established Member
YAY more instability for the club and Saliba. Also Marseille's manager basically confirmed Arteta's stance on the lad, so not sure why everyones still crying.

Do you have a link to support that bolded statement? I support OM as well and never heard Sampaoli say anything about Saliba. He actually spoke to the player to convince to join. Show us what you get.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Literally every manager? Conte came here and won the league with a squad that wasn't his own.

Potch came in and made due with most of the squad Tottenham had. Flick rehabilitated Bayern and caught up to Nagelsman with no summer window.

Lampard made due with his squad and unable to invest and got top 4.

Unless you're Man City is completely ridiculous to posit that you need to make the team "your own". Bar them and PSG that has never happened.

Emery apologists gave him the same excuse and it was bs then as well.

That is too harsh mate.
From Lampard and Arteta, the latter won.
He dropped more and more in performances just like us, even when we where having a strong finish to the end of season, Arteta out thought him on most direct games and won the FA cup final.

Bayern is pointless, they dominated the league for an eternity, has a squad that should win the PL as well and could've maybe even still have won it with Kovac despite HUGE internal fights.

Conte is not "every manager" you use in your argument whilst his squad, no matter whether he changed it for himself or not, has been vastly superior and much more balanced.

Potch, maybe, but you cannot win an argument with 1 good shout whilst starting it with "every manager".

I like you, I often agree with you, but I dont like this hyperbole on Arteta + he can change for the better, he's shown massive games already not too rarely so it's proven that he's got the ability to get there.

OGS certainly is worse as well by the way, I wont get into a fight about that :lol:

I've got absolutely no problem with saying Arteta does disappoint me thus far, in terms of Saliba and man management for certain individuals, in terms of how we play football thus far, with some leeway on that matter because our squad is **** in some key positions.
But it's a valid argument.

Much else beyond is hyperbole and a bit child'ish at this stage. Sorry.

We could get someone better, that's a fine argument to be made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom