• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Aaron Ramsdale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
This guy has to be paid by the club. We could be linked with a blind man and he would big him up about how his other senses has heightened and how much he would add to the team. Ramsdale is average and keepers primes are 28-35. We been here with schezny how he was gonna be our keeper for next 15 years. Atleast schezny was talented. This guy is just English dude from Stoke and Trent of all places
What's your problem with English people? We going to have beef?

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Is there a homegrown quota for goalkeepers ?

Can't you just get a homegrown right-back or midfielder or striker ?
There's no quotas for GK but most big clubs use back-up GKs to fill out their squad i.e. Scott Carson at City, Lee Grant at United, Rob Green at Chelsea etc. This allows them to use most if not all of their 17 non-HG slots on foreign players.

Barry

Can't agree here.

I'm a huge fan of Emi's, watched his whole evolution with this club and always thought there was a good keeper there even when people thought he was ****, BUT this is one of those where with hindsight we really forget the actual panorama when the decision was made.

In the moment, you have two keepers, one who we thought was quite good (Leno) and who we had a pretty decent sample of being good, another who we thought was quite good but had a sample of 3-4 months of being good. You need money to invest in the squad, having two top keepers is not a good use of squad resources. One is coming off an injury and is likely at the low point of his value, the other has a nice market value. It was honestly the correct and logical play, the one someone playing the odds as we want a forward-thinking club to do, would make.

Those plays don't always work out, though, and this is one of those cases. With hindsight maybe you could say we should've thought more about Leno's history with a more critical eye, think about how his two seasons of quality with us were well above what the metrics telling us about his time in Germany, worry about a regression to the mean-- but to think that above the more convincing thought at the time (that he had come from Germany and evolved, as young keepers do, especially talented ones like him), really takes some hindsight, honestly, or a talent evaluator with a very cynical eye (which would apply in the same case with Martínez, and probably still come out deciding that Leno was the right choice to keep).
I don't disagree with most of this, but to my eye you had two keepers who were performing to a high level. Both with 2 or more years on their contracts so no reason to sell. We needed a homegrown keeper, but there were concerns whether Martinez could sustain his excellent form. So they should have kept them both for a year and then made a call on it. Everything that has happened since including looking at spending more than we sold Martinez shows how bad the original decision was. It's got nothing to do with anything Leno has done since - the decision was an assessment on Martinez's qualities (if we needed a homegrown keeper)

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Selling Emi when he was a homegrown keeper was a bold move that ultimately didn’t pay off because the last season was a trainwreck and now Leno seems to want out.

Spending 5M more on Ramsdale than we sold Emi is really poor stuff. Statistically and with the eye test he’s a massively sub par keeper.

Just make the Onana deal.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Selling Emi when he was a homegrown keeper was a bold move that ultimately didn’t pay off because the last season was a trainwreck and now Leno seems to want out.

Spending 5M more on Ramsdale than we sold Emi is really poor stuff. Statistically and with the eye test he’s a massively sub par keeper.

Don't worry, he's read this thread and us being meanies and won't join anymore.

Gunners1616

There's no quotas for GK but most big clubs use back-up GKs to fill out their squad i.e. Scott Carson at City, Lee Grant at United, Rob Green at Chelsea etc. This allows them to use most if not all of their 17 non-HG slots on foreign players.

Understandable. Although a player like Maddison would also fill the homegrown need.

Problem with Ramsdale is the quoted 30M£ figure that cannot be justified. There is no other big club fighting to get. Actually i doubt any club wants him but us.

In this market 30M£ is a lot. It can get you Bissouma or Renato Sanchez.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Is there a homegrown quota for goalkeepers ?

Can't you just get a homegrown right-back or midfielder or striker ?
No quota. But I think finding homegrown rb of midfielder is even harder. We will lose nelson, willock, bellerin and AMN this summer. So we will be short. White helps, but we gonna need to sign 2 homegrown players. Tammy will be one

Barry

I've got a fairly open mind both ways on Ramsdale at the moment - definitely agree that makes the Martinez deal look even worse given the reported fees. Also would have preferred Onana which seems like a no-brainer deal (apart from the doping stuff). Interested on why you think he is statistically sub-par though? All the stuff we've seen so far says the opposite really; he is mid-table or above for shot-stopping and seems competent at one v ones (except when he comes a long way out of goal) and distribution. He also seems to have improved year on year in the stats to date. Statistically he is (very marginally) above Dean Henderson at shot stopping and clear of guys like Mendy. Weakness seems to be coming for crosses which is a definite red flag but where was Martinez on crosses at 23 years old... Also reports that he has an excellent character and has been highly rated by all sets of fans so far.

I'm not quite understanding the level of criticism at his quality; the price - absolutely.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Yep around £15M + performance based add ons. Probably linking him with becoming number 1.

I like Ramsdale. I think he has the potential to be one of the best.
Fair enough but I think it's extremly unlikely that sell him for less or around what they bought him for,makes no sense for them

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I've got a fairly open mind both ways on Ramsdale at the moment - definitely agree that makes the Martinez deal look even worse given the reported fees. Also would have preferred Onana which seems like a no-brainer deal (apart from the doping stuff). Interested on why you think he is statistically sub-par though? All the stuff we've seen so far says the opposite really; he is mid-table or above for shot-stopping and seems competent at one v ones (except when he comes a long way out of goal) and distribution. He also seems to have improved year on year in the stats to date. Statistically he is (very marginally) above Dean Henderson at shot stopping and clear of guys like Mendy. Weakness seems to be coming for crosses which is a definite red flag but where was Martinez on crosses at 23 years old... Also reports that he has an excellent character and has been highly rated by all sets of fans so far.

I'm not quite understanding the level of criticism at his quality; the price - absolutely.

In terms of xG goalkeeping stats he’s not really stood out. Comfortably in the bottom half of most keepers and although he was marginally better this year 30M is just a lot of money for someone who is probably a midtable keeper at best.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

BHis price would make him the 5th most expensive keeper in the world. His quality is he is an average keeper, barely PL level and has 2 relegation behind him. Ask any shef united fan and they would tell you he is way worse than henderson. so if he is 30 million. Henderson has to be 50 million. A 23 year old england international got relegated why is no one else after him than us?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
No quota. But I think finding homegrown rb of midfielder is even harder. We will lose nelson, willock, bellerin and AMN this summer. So we will be short. White helps, but we gonna need to sign 2 homegrown players. Tammy will be one

We don't need to sign homegrown players.

People really don't understand the rules, but you don't actually need to fill your HG quota, you can go into the season with 17 non HG's, 4 HG's and then the rest youngsters for example.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

We don't need to sign homegrown players.

People really don't understand the rules, but you don't actually need to fill your HG quota, you can go into the season with 17 non HG's, 4 HG's and then the rest youngsters for example.
Oirnstein said we ar5e looking for hg keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom