• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emile Smith Rowe: The Croy-10 Cruyff

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Wilshere wasn't more gifted than Saka. Saka might not be able to play 1 2's as well as Wilshere but everything else he can match him for, Saka can play multiple positions too and is the more intelligent player. Wilshere would dribble into crowds of players for no reason.

Cesc > Saka > Wilshere

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Cesc > Saka > Wilshere
Yeah Cesc was the greatest youth player ever, he was the best midfielder in the league at 17. Wilshere could've been so great if he didn't try to be like Gerrard and modelled himself after Xavi instead.

Saka imo is the more intelligent player than Wilshere also he's bigger and more physically robust. His problem is his end product, needs more goals and assists especially if he plays in the front 3.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Wilshere and Saka were probably about equal.

Bukayo should go on to be better, as injuries and taking his game in the wrong direction, really hurt Jack's development as a player.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Nahh. Wilshere didn't have great end product and wasn't really a 10, but he was more gifted than ESR. I think Wilshere should have kept that 19 shirt. Would have become iconic if things worked out for him here. Wilshere was more naturally gifted than any current Hale end product.

There's already an iconic (a level below legendary) player that has also donned the #19 shirt

601882566.jpeg

Symbia

18 years old Fab was something else, no comparison with any of our youth products in times past as far as I can remember.
Wilshere was a great prospect, a fighter, and naturally talented but injury stopped him from becoming a beasty player.

Aside: I have this great feeling about Azeez, we may have a pure gem in our hand!

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Wilshere was rubbish.
When he broke through he was amazing. Dominated Real Madrid in one match and shone in a string of performances for England as well. He looked like he could do it all as a box to box midfielder at one point but a combination of injuries and attitude started to reduce his level. Wenger played him as a winger or AM quite a bit as well which for me was never where he gave his best performances, despite a few wonder goals.

I agree with @OnlyOne talent hierarchy though. Cesc at the top, Saka has enormous potential as well.

GDeep™

League is very weak
You guys talking Arsenal youth or any young player? Cesc wasn’t Arsenal youth. I’ll have it something like -

Cesc/Anelka/Cole
Saka/Wilshere

Van Persie would be there but I left him out because all the above were teenagers and he was older.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
You guys talking Arsenal youth or any young player? Cesc wasn’t Arsenal youth. I’ll have it something like -

Cesc/Anelka/Cole
Saka/Wilshere

Van Persie would be there but I left him out because all the above were teenagers and he was older.
Fair point, although he was 16 when he started playing for us so Cesc gets a pass on that I think. Anelka and RVP were both signings for me but they were blow your socks off wow, right from the beginning. Better than Saka or Wilshere.

Cole is a decent shout as well although he started getting really good a bit later from memory (21-22?)

vantoure

Saka > Wilshere on talent? Naah Wilshere was a pure baller.

I know I've slept on Saka a bit, and am just realising his level, but still think Wilshere was made for the very top, but injuries

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think Wilshere was slightly ahead of Saka at that age but not a lot in it. From that first pre season game it was obvious how we had something really special. I'd make the argument though that pre leg break Ramsey looked an even bigger prospect.

Pyres7

On pure technical ability, then Wilshere was probably better than Saka and ESR. I genuinely thought Wilshere was gonna be our Iniesta when he was 16, 17, 18.

He stopped improving at a really early age though. It was partly the injuries but also mental. Saka's footballing IQ is higher than Wilshere's ever was. Same with Cesc, even as a teenager his decision making was already better than most experienced pros in their 30s.

Wilshere was still making the same mistakes after years of first team experience. Choosing the wrong passes, dribbling into dead ends and falling over. Massive waste of his footballing talent.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I know you hate him, but Santi couldn’t touch Özil.
I don't hate Özil. I'm trying to forget about him ffs, you just keep trying to bring him up.

Santi at his best was better than Özil and he was far more consistent. Özil needed the right environment. Our form tailed off in 2015-16 when we lost Santi in the West Brom game

Shame that achilles tendon did him.

Last edited:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Özil and Santi were better technical players (with Mes being the more talented, while Santi was the more rounded) but Sanchez is our best player from that time, imo.

Such a little warhorse of a player, outstanding at his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom