• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I honestly believe we have no chance at top four. Anything above 6th would be an achievement, the squad just isn't strong enough.
A good manager can get 5th easily with this squad and challenge for top four. So Leicester have a better team than us?

I know we have some dross in the team, but there's no way Leicester is better than us. They just have a better manager.

I swear if Villa had finished above us last season, the Arteta shills will be out trying to convince everyone that Villa is better than us.

blrgooner

Established Member
And if they stuck with the duds they hired previously for the sake of stability they would have never gotten Potch.
I don`t think that is true at all. Potch was an option for them in 2014 after some good performances in Southampton. They could have had 2 managers instead of 6 from 2008 to 2014 and still gone for Potch. I think their league positions might have been better in those years too.
Point is not that one should hang on to a coach for ever. Thats taking my argument to an extreme. There is a middle way between keeping a coach for 1 or 1.5 season and keeping a coach for ever.

blrgooner

Established Member
A good manager can get 5th easily with this squad and challenge for top four. So Leicester have a better team than us?

I know we have some dross in the team, but there's no way Leicester is better than us. They just have a better manager.

I swear if Villa had finished above us last season, the Arteta shills will be out trying to convince everyone that Villa is better than us.
Leicester do have a better first XI than us IMO. Transfermarkt`s squad value places them above us( Not that I trust their scores too much). They don`t have great backups though. At least it is close enough to our squad. You have also forgotten Sp**s who have a squad atleast as good as us. So we are at present fighting for 5-8 positions.
I swear if Man city had finished below us this season, "Arteta Out" shills will be out to convince everyone that we have a better squad then Man City.

Last edited:

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I honestly believe we have no chance at top four. Anything above 6th would be an achievement, the squad just isn't strong enough.
A top 4 side would have to fail or we would have to overachieve big time for us to get there.
Top 6 is where we should be looking. However you never know in football so there is always a chance.
Realist says we havent been top 4 for years. We need a big rebuild.

At least it looks like we can see that & look to be profiling promising younger players in the main.
We need to find a way move on some of our others.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Leicester do have a better first XI than us IMO. Transfermarkt`s squad value places them above us( Not that I trust their scores too much). They don`t have great backups though. At least it is close enough to our squad. You have also forgotten Sp**s who have a squad atleast as good as us. So we are at present fighting for 5-8 positions.
I swear if Man city had finished below us this season, "Arteta Out" shills will be out to convince everyone that we have a better squad then Man City.

What about West Ham, are they better than us as well? We could say that was a one off but then there was Wolves the previous year too. That's two years in a row we've finished outside the European places in the league to squads with clearly less quality than our own.

blrgooner

Established Member
What about West Ham, are they better than us as well? We could say that was a one off but then there was Wolves the previous year too. That's two years in a row we've finished outside the European places in the league to squads with clearly less quality than our own.
Agree. So I am not denying that we have under performed. I am just saying that the level of under performance is being exaggerated here. The team finishing 5th finished 5 points ahead of us and not 15. I will not be happy if we finish 8th again next season for sure.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
👆This our squad is below Sp**s & Leicester nevermind the top 4!! We are miles away from those squads.
As i have said before this hasnt happened overnight.
Everton and Villa have similar standard squads to us nowadays we are far nearer to those squads than the top 4.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
You always tend to get a couple of sides that over achieves every season.
Wolves reverted back to their natural level last season and Sp**s took there manager.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Why would we be fighting for 5th-8th place when we have at least the 6th best squad?

Leicester don't have a better squad, are you ok? :lol:

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

You always tend to get a couple of sides that over achieves every season.
Wolves reverted back to their natural level last season and Sp**s took there manager.

That was my point though. You get these teams now and again but that's two seasons in a row we've finished below one of them.

This obviously isn't just on Arteta either as when he took over it was looking a safe bet that Sheff Utd would finish above us as well. With the various teams that have been in with a shout of top 4 in the last couple of years it's inexcusable that we've not even put up a challenge.

Pyres7

I don`t think that is true at all. Potch was an option for them in 2014 after some good performances in Southampton. They could have had 2 managers instead of 6 from 2008 to 2014 and still gone for Potch. I think their league positions might have been better in those years too.
Point is not that one should hang on to a coach for ever. Thats taking my argument to an extreme. There is a middle way between keeping a coach for 1 or 1.5 season and keeping a coach for ever.
Before they got to Poch they only gave AVB and Tim Sherwood a year or less each before they got sacked.

If we go by your logic, you would have given them both a couple of years each to get it right before sacking them. In which case they probably miss out on Poch and let poor managers take them backwards.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

After finishing 8th last season, the only reason Arteta is still here is because he is a young coach, but that's his one chance gone.

Arsenal should always be in the Top 6, as a minimum requirement.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
After finishing 8th last season, the only reason Arteta is still here is because he is a young coach, but that's his one chance gone.

The fact that he didn't know who are his best players for a year is a far bigger crime than finishing 8th.

The guy signed Willian to bench our most expensive player from game 1, what an idiot

blrgooner

Established Member

So when you say one chance gone, you do mean that one gets more than one chance right? Also, I am guessing that he would not have got that second chance if he had finished 12th? Thats pretty much what I am trying to say.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

So when you say one chance gone, you do mean that one gets more than one chance right? Also, I am guessing that he would not have got that second chance if he had finished 12th? Thats pretty much what I am trying to say.

I don't blame him for the first 8th place finish, tbh...he took over us halfway through the season and in 11th place, last season was on him though.

The only 4 teams, that you can excuse finishing below...are City, Liverpool, Chelsea and United...we shouldn't be finishing below the like of West Ham, etc.

It's up to Mikel to fix that, or he will be fired at some point this coming season.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Leno > Schmeichel
Bellerin < Justin
Gabriel = Fofana
Holding < Soyuncu
Tierney >> Castagne
Partey > Ndidi
Smith Rowe < Maddison
Xhaka < Tielemans
Saka >> Under
Pepe > Barnes
Auba > Vardy

It's really not better. We fully underperformed and should be in the 4-6 position next season at a minimum.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
We didn't have close to a top 4 squad last year and now all of a sudden we're better than Leicester? With what signings? This is the most deluded this forum has ever been.

Pyres7

We didn't have close to a top 4 squad last year and now all of a sudden we're better than Leicester? With what signings? This is the most deluded this forum has ever been.
On paper there isn't much difference in the quality of the first teams.

We only finished 4 points behind them last season, even though we didn't start playing until Boxing day.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Screenshot_20210723-160813-372.png

Leicester's line up for Claude Puel's last game in charge. I count only 3 players who are no longer regulars or at the club. They where 12th at that point. Point being that a decent manager isn't a bad thing.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Leno > Schmeichel
Bellerin < Justin
Gabriel = Fofana
Holding < Soyuncu
Tierney >> Castagne
Partey > Ndidi
Smith Rowe < Maddison
Xhaka < Tielemans
Saka >> Under
Pepe > Barnes
Auba > Vardy

It's really not better. We fully underperformed and should be in the 4-6 position next season at a minimum.
You don’t know ball man.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom