• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
It's a little crazy that only a few years ago, our midfield/attack had prime Sanchez, Cazorla and Özil in it.

Hope Saka and Smith-Rowe can keep improving...but it's quite a decline in a short space of time, tbh.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I’d like the mention of VP and Cesc banned from these forums because they get brought up more than genuine Arsenal legends. They aren’t even peak Arsenal.

Yet they are the benchmark that all our signings are held to when really they are a pair of wankers (I’m sure they are lovely irl).

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I’d like the mention of VP and Cesc banned from these forums because they get brought up more than genuine Arsenal legends. They aren’t even peak Arsenal.

Yet they are the benchmark that all our signings are held to when really they are a pair of wankers.

My unpopular opinion is that RVP did nothing wrong.

Carried an absolute garbage tier side to a top four place and then went and won his PL title as a main man.

Never lied to the fanbase and was honest in what he wanted. Cesc is **** though. Drove down his price and went to a F1 race rather than train.

Riou

Cesc...******...

@American_Gooner be like...

b7nwUMD.gif

• Funny
Reactions: A_G

Macho

Dusted 🔻

He was right to leave that’s not an unpopular opinion. My beef is with the fanbase essentially.

It’s the pining I’m sick of, I want different benchmarks like Vieira, Bergie and Pires instead of everyday Cesc and VP. Maybe it’s recency bias I dunno.

You ever noticed how many times Van Persie has come up in the Auba and Tammy threads like he’s the holy grail of all strikers? Guy was injured for years at Arsenal I personally don’t have time for it.

Riou

Could just be the young side of our fanbase...many might not have seen those Arsenal legends play for us, so Cesc and Van Persie are their benchmark, they were great players at least even if they didn't leave great legacies here.

The true glory days were quite a while ago now, for The Arsenal

Last edited:

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Could just be the young side of our fanbase...many might not have seen those Arsenal legends play for us, so Cesc and Van Persie are their benchmark, they were great players at least even if they didn't leave great legacies here.

The true glory days were quite a while ago now, for The Arsenal
So I’m old and I need to stop yelling at clouds basically? Fair enough.

Think a lot of people here would have loved young Anelka had they seen him, he truly had it all where really VP was all technique.

Bar one or two moments I don’t even think about VP really, we’ve had too many class strikers, that’s always been our thing.

Riou

So I’m old and I need to stop yelling at clouds basically? Fair enough.

Think a lot of people here would have loved young Anelka had they seen him, he truly had it all where really VP was all technique.

Bar one or two moments I don’t even think about VP really, we’ve had too many class strikers, that’s always been our thing.

I reckon a lot of these kids would rate a little known Arsenal striker called Thierry Henry, if they seen him...he had a nice purple patch for us, for a little while at least, didn't he?

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I reckon a lot of these kids would rate a little known Arsenal striker called Thierry Henry, if they seen him...he had a nice purple patch for us, for a little while at least, didn't he?
I’ll give fans the benefit of the doubt in that maybe they know finding the next VP is more likely than Henry, hence why they go on about him so much.

mirrorstare

Giroud should count as one of those gems unearthed by Wenger, what a career he ended up having.

He's what you want every player in your team to be, an overachiever capable of delivering well above his supposed limits.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
I’ll give fans the benefit of the doubt in that maybe they know finding the next VP is more likely than Henry, hence why they go on about him so much.

Think this has to be a big part of it; Henry was Balon D'or standard of player, definitely should not be mentioned in threads about Tammy Abraham or even Aubameyang.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
He was right to leave that’s not an unpopular opinion. My beef is with the fanbase essentially.

It’s the pining I’m sick of, I want different benchmarks like Vieira, Bergie and Pires instead of everyday Cesc and VP. Maybe it’s recency bias I dunno.

You ever noticed how many times Van Persie has come up in the Auba and Tammy threads like he’s the holy grail of all strikers? Guy was injured for years at Arsenal I personally don’t have time for it.
Agree. Van Persie's career only really took from the middle of 2010-11 season when he scored a penalty against Partizan. He never stopped scoring after. Before that season he had scored 73 goals from 197 appearances which is a goals/game ratio worse than Giroud had for Arsenal. No doubt the talent and technique was all there but he had only 1 season before that in which he scored 20 goals in all competitions (2008-09). He's only scored more than 15 goals in the PL in 2 seasons at Arsenal (2010-11, 2011-12) and only 3 times in his entire PL career.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
Giroud should count as one of those gems unearthed by Wenger, what a career he ended up having.

He's what you want every player in your team to be, an overachiever capable of delivering well above his supposed limits.
18 games of whatever without a goal during our best chance to win a league title in the Emirates era can be seen as an overachievement of sorts I suppose.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
18 games of whatever without a goal during our best chance to win a league title in the Emirates era can be seen as an overachievement of sorts I suppose.
That dry spell and missed chances really cost us that season.Cech, Bellerin. Mert, Kos and Nacho gave us the best defensive record in the league but we still couldn't capitalise.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

RVP didn't go to Barca or PSG though, he went to our biggest rivals and presented Fergie with his final title, winning the golden boot. Man U were not that good that year with an aging squad and without his 26 goals they would never have won.

It was the ultimate slap in the face for Arsène, who'd developed the lad through his vast array of injuries and kept faith in his abilities. As if it wasn't enough to try to keep pace with a rival manager being given 10 times your funds, to then see him presented on a plate with your greatest asset must have been incredibly frustrating.

RVP showed absolutely no loyalty in the faith given to him, and even worse our ungrateful fans showed even less, as the early rumblings of their campaign to sink him began their stirrings that season.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

Carried an absolute garbage tier side to a top four place and then went and won his PL title as a main man.

Never lied to the fanbase and was honest in what he wanted. Cesc is **** though. Drove down his price and went to a F1 race rather than train.
RVP played the same way for us in his last season and his first for United. The difference is with us we just scraped top 4 with them he won the league as the main man, of course he was gonna leave he was wasting some world class form here. You can't be mad at him for doing what he did.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
RVP played the same way for us in his last season and his first for United. The difference is with us we just scraped top 4 with them he won the league as the main man, of course he was gonna leave he was wasting some world class form here. You can't be mad at him for doing what he did.

I agree with your point, but one of the main beef about RVP was that he was such a dishonest prick as he was leaving.

His "Letter to Fans" was a horrible piece of stunt by him where he tried to put the blame on the club and Wenger. He was quickly exposed to have lied.
After he joined them he went an extra mile by being a complete asshole with his phrase about the little kid screaming: It was always United.

He burned all the bridges that he had with Arsenal and it's no wonder he is never welcomed back or appreciated by our fans.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I agree with your point, but one of the main beef about RVP was that he was such a dishonest prick as he was leaving.

His "Letter to Fans" was a horrible piece of stunt by him where he tried to put the blame on the club and Wenger. He was quickly exposed to have lied.
After he joined them he went an extra mile by being a complete asshole with his phrase about the little kid screaming: It was always United.

He burned all the bridges that he had with Arsenal and it's no wonder he is never welcomed back or appreciated by our fans.
But we all knew he was gonna leave once he didn't sign the contract, I think you'd be naive to think he was signing a new contract. All the other stuff he did was dumb but really it doesn't matter, we were poor at keeping our players and selling for a decent price. These were the days Torres was going for 50m, Bale for 80m, Aguero 40m etc we should have been better at selling players since we were a selling club.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom