• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Strangely enough the two players you mentioned did get covid last season. Both only missed one game. For most players getting covid means they won't be available for one or two games. That is less than the average minor knock sidelines a player for. Only problem is if your whole team catches covid at the same time, but even then usually the league or FA postpones your next game anyway.
I wouldn't say that is the only problem. If they miss one or two games, what games are they missing?

Also if they catch covid, how do they handle it? Some players are fine some are really affected for a long period. Think about Gabriel and Aouar is an example last season.

The need to have 2 players for every position is greater than ever.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I wouldn't say that is the only problem. If they miss one or two games, what games are they missing?

Also if they catch covid, how do they handle it? Some players are fine some are really affected for a long period. Think about Gabriel and Aouar is an example last season.

The need to have 2 players for every position is greater than ever.

I thought this as well. More injuries I think this season, the amount of football these guys have played with euros is crazy. Arsenal should be okay though with one game a week.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Ødegaard would be like Cellabos all over again. He didn't do anything of note to really get us off our seats. Yes that one game against West Ham was great, but it was literally one game. I pray we don't end up with him.

Game Over

Our transfer business is too weird. We don't focus on finding solutions to the main problems (No10 and a partner with Partey). We just spend too much time on other target (GK Ramsdale - 40£:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:).

It's as if the guys in charge of transfers are complete amateurs and don't have a clue what they're doing...

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Ødegaard would be like Cellabos all over again. He didn't do anything of note to really get us off our seats. Yes that one game against West Ham was great, but it was literally one game. I pray we don't end up with him.

In the little time Ødegaard was here I thought while he didn't blow us away, he looked like he'd been playing in the league for years. I was well surprised with how well he coped and how quickly he became a key player for Mikel and was a big personality in the squad.

I think that tells us a lot, and while he's not my first choice, a loan with a cheap obligation or just a flat out low transfer fee pick up I'd take him. Think it would be really interesting to see how he does over a full season.

Elite Smarts

Gouendizi 🤦‍♂️
Barca are financially f#cked. They have to sell some of their assets whether they like it or not.
And those assets are Dembele, Griezmann and Coutinho. Players on big wages so Barca gets below max wage allowed for teams in La Liga. No way selling a hidden gem on low wages, that's horrendous business.

RunTheTrap

And those assets are Dembele, Griezmann and Coutinho. Players on big wages so Barca gets below max wage allowed for teams in La Liga. No way selling a hidden gem on low wages, that's horrendous business.
My friend, didn't you know Barca's middle name was 'horrendous business'? They have completely ignored La Masia in favour of big name transfers and it doesn't look like it will change any time soon.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
I would say the club has done all it can and can't really do anything else until we see outgoings, but they need to pull the trigger as soon as these players leave.

Laca, Xhaka and Bellerin should see three players in those positions if you count Ben White as done, with possibly a keeper coming in too.

It is a squad game this season. Teams can go down with covid at anytime. Liverpool could be flying and then lose Mane and Salah to covid. Then what? It is all about having two players for every position and a system to fit into. Currently the only position we lack sufficient quality in is Partney's partner and rb.
We seem to currently be lacking in depth in both
* attacking midfield where we have a depth of 1 - ESR with no viable backups
* central midfield also a depth effectively of 1.5 - Xhaka & Partey (Partey also has CAN) which means without any transfers we would see Lokonga and/or Elneny (also CAN duties) playing an important role. Im assuming Torreria is gone one way or another as he clearly has no interest in staying at the club.

We are spending 50 million on centreback where we have a depth of at least 2 with Holding, Gabriel, Mari, Chambers.

We have bought a backup for left back where we have a depth of 2 - Tierney and Sead.

So if what matters is depth we are shockingly in danger and have spent a lot of money on positions where we have depth. Keeping Xhaka for depth and adding a midfielder seems more prudent than waiting until the last minute like we did to bring in Partey and what a disaster that proved.

Meanwhile our actual first 11 quality also needs to be improved massively given our finish last season, so depending on a covid outbreak in 4 of the 7 teams above us who all have more depth than us seems an unusual way of looking at the season. (think someone already addressed the fact Liverpool pretty much played players who were in close contact last season and who not long after tested positive for covid)

RunTheTrap

In the little time Ødegaard was here I thought while he didn't blow us away, he looked like he'd been playing in the league for years. I was well surprised with how well he coped and how quickly he became a key player for Mikel and was a big personality in the squad.

I think that tells us a lot, and while he's not my first choice, a loan with a cheap obligation or just a flat out low transfer fee pick up I'd take him. Think it would be really interesting to see how he does over a full season.
I'm not going to hold my breath. He is obviously a great talent, but I feel we have to build the entire team around him for him to succeed here.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
This wasn't a good time to come into this team. He came in, and became a leader instantly. I thought he was excellent. As for being good for one game?

Tottenham
West Ham
Newcastle
Chelsea
Palace
Brighton
Benfica

?

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Don't want to sound like that poster, Football manager, but I really like this dude, Could be the biggest La Masia product in years.

RunTheTrap

This wasn't a good time to come into this team. He came in, and became a leader instantly. I thought he was excellent. As for being good for one game?

Tottenham
West Ham
Newcastle
Chelsea
Palace
Brighton
Benfica

?
He struggled in the Chelsea game, ESR carried the attack that night at the Bridge. Palace, he came on as a sub and didn't do anything until he played that ball to Martinelli. Benefica? He struggled but hit a wonder goal to cover up for his poor game. Bruno Fernandes type. He was good against Tottenham and Brighton, but I felt he was overshadowed in both games.

Gn1212

Martin's best games were v West Han and Brighton. Brighton one was the real deal, most complete I've seen him since 2019. Gliding past players, perfectly weighted passes. Özil stuff.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Okay put your biases aside. Who had the better loan spell Ødegaard to us or Willock to Newcastle? And why?
I'd say they were equally good. Willock scored some crucial goals without actually playing that well. Ødegaard came into a dysfunctional team, and along with ESR, made us one of the better sides in the league over the 2nd half of the season.

Football people will understand what Ødegaard brings to the team, we have raw talent, we need someone to get them the ball and link play.

James Maddison for example, he'll score some screamers, but he won't really help with our lack of chance creation.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Ødegaard's numbers were a little underwhelming but his performances were generally pretty good except right at the beginning and when he was coming back from injury. He also did a couple of delicious pre-assists which don't register on his overall stats. He would provide something that we don't have in the team now and should only gets better as he beds into the league. Think he'd be a good addition.

No contest though, Willock had an amazing loan. We should give him a chance to stay and play, I guess the Lokonga signing has probably signalled that we won't have space for him now though (at least this season).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom