• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Lacazette (Out)

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Eduardo was a better player, though. If that leg break hadn't happen....

Yeah but injury "what if's" and Arsenal... It's a painfully long list. I actually cringe at how well we could have done between 2005-2015 without a permanent injury crisis going on.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Wiltord and Reyes were quality players too, though guess you might count them more as wingers.

But yeah, Arsenal fans have seen so many brilliant and different forwards since Arsène took over.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
That's a funny way of saying he's fat, ngl.

Also, how old are you? No memes, honest question.

Because just in the last 20 or so years we had more than 10 strikers that are better than Lacazette...

In no particular order: RvP, Ade, Kanu, Henry, Bergkamp, Wrighty, Anelka, Wiltord, PEA, Eduardo and even Giroud.

Laca was better than the likes:

Giroud - an extremely frustrating player to watch. Giroud was talented (eg the scorpion kick goal and his assists on the Podolski and Gibbs volleys)but wasted it diving (possibly our worst diver ever), freighning injury, looking at the ref for support, lack of work rate, winning headers in the middle of the park just to head it opposition players, wasting chance after chance, constant slowing down our attacking movements and often losing possesion cheaply made it easy to dislike him. Özil one season was only a few assists away from breaking the the assist record even at Christmas however Girouds cringeworthy disastrous finishing ensured that never happened.

Kanu - in his first 2 seasons he was decent but it does not get stressed enough just how completely woeful he was in his last 4 seasons for us. Constantly gave away possession so cheaply.

Eduardo - I have a soft spot for Eduardo, one of the best atompsheres I've seen at the Emirates is in his return match after the leg break were he bagged a brace.

In terms of pure ability to finish goal scoring chances he was excellent. Played well when he first joined when we had two upfront but unfortunately for him, we along with majority of teams at the time changed our formation to 4-2-3-1. Eduardo failed to adapt to this formation and couldn't lead the team upfront as the lone CF. Also that horrible injury contributed to this as well.

None of these produced the consistency of good peformances that Lacca did throughout an entire season (this season plus the season he won player of the season for us), who was clearly the most well rounded player of the 4.

I'd even take Laca over Wiltord although its closer than the 3 mentioned guys. Wiltord probably had the most powerful shot I've seen on a Gunner after Podolski.

Last edited:

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Kanu's numbers are pretty dreadful for Arsenal but he was such a special player to watch that he makes it in above Laca on nostalgia value for me. Had a great spell at Pompey as well. Agree with your others though for sure.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Arsenal fans in the last 20 years have seen the best strikers than any other club in the world I think. No club has had so many good strikers, one after another.
But for a long period of time we had to watch rubbish like walcott, giroud, laca, auba playing for our team.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Meh Giroud is debatable cause to me he was a pile of sh*t although some will disagree.

I’m not going to be mad at Laca for not being Wrighty or Henry. Looking across the strikers in the league and in world football, he’s doing ok.
I use to think Giroud was rubbish but he’s proved me wrong, you just have to look at what he’s won. He’s gotten everything out of his career, I just don’t see how Lacazette could compare.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I use to think Giroud was rubbish but he’s proved me wrong, you just have to look at what he’s won. He’s gotten everything out of his career, I just don’t see how Lacazette could compare.
There are plenty of joke man players with a lit trophy cabinet please don’t do this.

BigPoppaPump

There are plenty of joke man players with a lit trophy cabinet please don’t do this.
That’s not fair, he was a mainstay and focal point in some of those teams. He’s even won more for us than Lacazette did. You can’t knock winners.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

That’s not fair, he was a mainstay and focal point in some of those teams. He’s even won more for us than Lacazette did. You can’t knock winners.
France and Chelsea would have won all those trophies with or without him just stop it.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
We where screaming out for a Demba Ba loan at one point, that's how frustrating Giroud was for us.

I don't think Laca is anywhere near the best strikers to play for us but I'd feel a lot more confident with him in the side than Giroud with the better players we had around them back then.

BigPoppaPump

France and Chelsea would have won all those trophies with or without him just stop it.
Well they won it with him, I remember him completely out performing your boy Laca in the Europa final too and France got kicked out the Euros when they dropped him.

France would have never won the World Cup with Lacazette up front though, that’s why he never gets a call up.

BigPoppaPump

We where screaming out for a Demba Ba loan at one point, that's how frustrating Giroud was for us.

I don't think Laca is anywhere near the best strikers to play for us but I'd feel a lot more confident with him in the side than Giroud with the better players we had around them back then.
I don’t think there’s much between them with Giroud being slighty the better player because of physicality. Regardless Lacazette never getting called up and Giroud being a mainstay for France shows the difference.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
On Lacazette, I've been massively critical in the past, and don't think he's good enough for us. But fair play to him last season, I think he was our best 9 given the circumstances.

I think 20 years ago he would be a much more viable option for a supposed top team; where he could play in a 442 and have a guy next to him also occupying the CB's, but in the modern era of loan strikers, he just doesn't have the physical attributes to cut it at the top level.

Like Xhaka, who also had a good season last year, I think its time to move on and go with a fresh CF.

Top Bottom