• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
My unpopular opinion is that RVP did nothing wrong.

Carried an absolute garbage tier side to a top four place and then went and won his PL title as a main man.

Never lied to the fanbase and was honest in what he wanted. Cesc is **** though. Drove down his price and went to a F1 race rather than train.
RvP was the last striker I idolised. Had a proper unique style in terms of touch and technique, comparable to Van Basten.

Good for him that he went and won the league that he deserved, after Gazidis and co tried to make him out to be the fall guy

IstraBalagina

RvP was the last striker I idolised. Had a proper unique style in terms of touch and technique, comparable to Van Basten.

Good for him that he went and won the league that he deserved, after Gazidis and co tried to make him out to be the fall guy
He deserved 7th with Moyes, then Van Gaal asking him to leave the season after.

Out of Nasri, RvP and Fabregas, it was Nasri who was the least disrespectful of the lot. Left for a non historical rival and played professionally up until the last game of his contract. Yet Arsenal fans seem to hate him the most out of the three.

RvP went to our most hated team and released some rubbish PR letter to try and paint himself as some martyr of football. If he just quietly left without publishing said letter I wouldn't have minded too much. He also had the option of going to Man City which wouldn't have been so painful in all honestly. Gifting the league to United was just too much.

Then there's the rat Cesc who's ironically still loved by the fanbase yet he was the one that took the piss out of Arsenal the most. After desperetly trying to go to Barça for years he tries to come back after they toss him aside like a condom. I'm glad Wenger had the self respect to turn him down when he tried crawling back.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Out of Nasri, RvP and Fabregas, it was Nasri who was the least disrespectful of the lot. Left for a non historical rival and played professionally up until the last game of his contract. Yet Arsenal fans seem to hate him the most out of the three.

RvP went to our most hated team and released some rubbish PR letter to try and paint himself as some martyr of football. If he just quietly left without publishing said letter I wouldn't have minded too much. He also had the option of going to Man City which wouldn't have been so painful in all honestly. Gifting the league to United was just too much.

Then there's the rat Cesc who's ironically still loved by the fanbase yet he was the one that took the piss out of Arsenal the most. After desperetly trying to go to Barça for years he tries to come back after they toss him aside like a condom. I'm glad Wenger had the self respect to turn him down when he tried crawling back.
Thing that annoyed me most about Fabregas was that he basically forced Barce to pay an absolute pittance for him as a transfer fee when he had at least 2-3 years to run on his contract. Disgraceful to be honest.

IstraBalagina

Add the fact that Fabregas and Van Persie were at Arsenal for 8 years and were prone to injuries, so it was more disrespectful and painful.
Nasri was at Arsenal for like 3 years ?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Cesc was the face of the Emirates era, a lot of younger fans would have had him as their first ever favourite player...of course there will be a lot of love for him.

Don't mind how Cesc left for Barca, or even him playing for Chelsea...he carried us long enough to earn the major honours he won at those clubs and for Spain, he's the best player of the Emirates era, if you don't count trophies won at this stadium.

Wish he would stop talking about us though, and embrace his Chelsea status at this point, as we should be his past...though I guess that's his own way of showing he still cares about Arsenal.

IstraBalagina

Cesc was the face of the Emirates era, a lot of younger fans would have had him as their first ever favourite player...of course there will be a lot of love for him.

Don't mind how Cesc left for Barca, or even him playing for Chelsea...he carried us long enough to earn the major honours he won at those clubs and for Spain, he's the best player of the Emirates era, if you don't count trophies won at this stadium.

Wish he would stop talking about us though, and embrace his Chelsea status at this point, as we should be his past...though I guess that's his own way of showing he still cares about Arsenal.
He carried us to where ? 0 trophies, loser mentality

Riou

He carried us to where ? 0 trophies, loser mentality

If we missed out on Champions League at any point from 2006/2007-2010/2011, we could have been in serious trouble as a club finance wise...the Cesc era wasn't fruitful in terms of trophies, but it was important to stop us maybe doing a Leeds.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I feel like if we take off the Arsenal tinted glasses most people would do the same as him.

He said he wanted top quality signings to help push us forward and we got in Podolski and Giroud. That might not be our fault because the money probably just wasn’t there to go get say Hazard and Thiago Silva.

Still though if you’re hitting 30 and you’ve struggled with injuries your entire career, you’ve got to make the move to get some silverware and he did.

I don’t really get what he did wrong, didn’t lie to the fans or really go to the lengths Cesc did to f*ck us over.

We got unlucky that Juve were too broke and City already had Aguero, Dzeko, Tevez and Balotelli. Only one club really needed him and they got him.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Ironically though if he did stay even though he wouldn’t have won the next season we could have won the season after that.

You can potentially add one point considering his goal beat us that year. We dropped so many points in games where we only had Giroud up front while RvP was still a 1 in 2 striker for Moyes so who knows how much closer we are to the title with Özil, Rosicky, Ramsey and Santi laying on chances for him.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I actually don't care that VP went to Man Utd he took care of number one.

I'm just a bit tired of current and future players getting beaten to death by the VP stick, which is all that awaits for young Tammy should he join.

I resent that VP is a standard bearer around here when he shouldn't be and we have far suitable legends for measuring stick purposes. He's not even that guy for Utd.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I actually don't care that VP went to Man Utd he took care of number one.

I'm just a bit tired of current and future players getting beaten to death by the VP stick, which is all that awaits for young Tammy should he join.

I resent that VP is a standard bearer around here when he shouldn't be and we have far suitable legends for measuring stick purposes. He's not even that guy for Utd.

For me he was the best striker in the world over a two and a half year period.

You don’t score the ridiculous amount of goals he did unless you’re next level. Breaking 30 goals in a 38 game season has only been done 6 times.

Some of the great strikers in PL history aren’t on that list but he is.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

For me he was the best striker in the world over a two and a half year period.

You don’t score the ridiculous amount of goals he did unless you’re next level. Breaking 30 goals in a 38 game season has only been done 6 times.

Some of the great strikers in PL history aren’t on that list but he is.
I hear that but nah it's celebrated far too much. Especially considering some of the players in our history where VP is a footnote in comparison.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Van Persie was with us long enough to know you can't go to United. The same fans who where chanting "sit down you *" at Wenger, a man who I'm sure Van Persie hugely respected and owed a lot to for standing by him with all those injuries.

We should have also emphasised that to him though at the time. You can go to Juve or City or we'll hold onto you for another season but we're not selling you to United. The club where too soft in that respect.

Riou

Who should be the standard bearers of the Emirates era...

Fabregas and Van Persie, who were the better players.

Sanchez and Özil, who were the more successful players.

...should be the latter, right?

least with Nasri we got some world class seasons while he was here and sold him for a profit in a short amount of time.

RvP and Cesc basically forced a low transfer fee because of their behavior. We got ripped off with those deals.
Add the fact that Fabregas and Van Persie were at Arsenal for 8 years and were prone to injuries, so it was more disrespectful and painful.
Nasri was at Arsenal for like 3 years ?

Trill

Not Trilly
My unpopular opinion is that RVP did nothing wrong.

Carried an absolute garbage tier side to a top four place and then went and won his PL title as a main man.

Never lied to the fanbase and was honest in what he wanted. Cesc is **** though. Drove down his price and went to a F1 race rather than train.

Completely agreed.

He would have stayed if we were actually winning trophies and competing for the title as well. The fact that he only has one league title to his name considering his talent is a mockery.

Someone once asked Paul Scholes why he was so loyal to Manchester United. He basically said "Why on earth would anyone leave United" cause they basically won the title every year. Hell even "one of our own" Harry is trying to get out of Sp**s cause he has no trophies. What do you expect from a Dutch bloke?

That said, "the little boy inside me" stuff was a piss take.

Last edited:

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
If we missed out on Champions League at any point from 2006/2007-2010/2011, we could have been in serious trouble as a club finance wise...the Cesc era wasn't fruitful in terms of trophies, but it was important to stop us maybe doing a Leeds.
More like it would have put an end to the self funding model and got rid of the sh1tbag owners who refused to invest in the club early on. No chance of doing a Leeds when you have Usmanov waiting to take over and pump money in. Come to think about it not missing out on CL was a bad thing because it allowed this stupid model of mediocrity to be carried on.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Completely agreed.

He would have stayed if we were actually winning trophies and competing for the title as well. The fact that he only has one league title to his name considering his talent is a mockery.

Someone once asked Paul Scholes why he was so loyal to Manchester United. He basically said "Why on earth would anyone leave United" cause they basically won the title every year. Hell even "one of our own" Harry is trying to get out of Sp**s cause he has no trophies. What do you expect from a Dutch bloke?

That said, "the little boy inside me" stuff was a piss take.

Tbf the “little boy” comment wasn’t actually about us. It was him talking about the choice between Utd and City which makes sense when you factor in the two clubs’ history.
But why, with solid interest from Roberto Mancini's champions, did he choose red over blue? "Everyone knows me by now. I'm a lover of football. In that respect I'm quite principled," the striker said.

"It is always quite difficult to find a perfect match but I do feel that this is perfect for me. Manchester United breathe football and if you look at all the players, the stadium and the manager, my choice was made very soon in my mind if you were basing it on those two clubs.

"I always listen to the little boy inside of me in these situations – when you have to make the harder decisions in life. What does he want? That boy was screaming for Man United.

"This is like a family club. In that respect it isn't a big difference [to Arsenal]. Let me make one thing clear – because I don't want things twisted – is that from my side, and Arsenal as well, there are no hard feelings. There were certain elements which were vital to me that we had a different view. That is life. Nobody is angry at me and I'm not angry at them."

Top Bottom