• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He paid those players off though, anyone could do that. Özil was almost getting his full wage on top of his wage at his new club.
There wasn't much choice though sadly. The damage was done when we awarded dross mad wages.

It's hard to get rid of bad rubbish.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
It had to be done. Nobody was touching them players. Whilst I am frustrated, I am also pleased that they seem to be wanting rid of the same players as the fans, and are targeting the right profile players. Let’s see where we are in a few weeks.
Yes the intent was good but didn’t show much amazing business acumen. Being a DOF isn’t just about intent it’s about ability and capability. Edu is yet to show that imo. Only intent and good words. In terms of who we are targeting it’s been worrying signs so far imo, but we don’t ultimately know the actual targets. Unless we have 200m to spend, spending 20+m on Ramsdale is stupidity.

I will of course properly judge at the end of the window.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I agree but my point is it wasn’t especially special work. When you are paying players to leave (and earn a new salary on top of that), you don’t have to exactly be Jordan Belfort to persuade them.
We'll probably see more of the same this window, I'm afraid.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I agree but my point is it wasn’t especially special work. When you are paying players to leave (and earn a new salary on top of that), you don’t have to exactly be Jordan Belfort to persuade them.

We'll be doing the same with Kolasinac as well before the window shuts. We'll probably face the same situation with Torreira, Cedric and Mari in the next couple of seasons too.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
We'll probably see more of the same this window, I'm afraid.
We'll be doing the same with Kolasinac as well before the window shuts. We'll probably face the same situation with Torreira, Cedric and Mari in the next couple of seasons too.
Yeah. Not saying these situations are all Edu’s fault, but he came in and palmed off Kia to create new situations like that again. With Willian and Cedric.

The only positive thing I would say I have noticed is that it does seem we are targeting the right profile of players age wise. So let’s see.

TornadoTed

Established Member
We are just frustrated, he hasn’t done a bad job, everyone would struggle to clear out the deadwood at this club with the contracts they are on.

He made a good start with Mustafi, Sokratis and sadly Özil.

Generally, his signings have been good, even the likes of Mari. This regime is at least targeting the right players, which is why we were so excited at the start of the window. Let’s see how it plays out.
I agree. People make it sound so easy, sell Lacazette, Willian, Bellerin etc. I don't think many have grasped just how much Covid has effected most clubs.

Take Lacazette as an example. There are probably around 4-5 teams in the World who could afford a fee and his wages and all of them have better strikers already. Bellerin is the same, who can afford £15-20m and £100k in wages, again 4-5 teams and they already have better. We are talking Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, PSG and maybe Atletico, do Lacazette and Bellerin improve their squads?

It is seriously frustrating, we have just come off our worst season for 25 years and desperately need change but the longer the summer drags on the more impossible a lot of problems within the squad look to fix.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
It’s not just us. Utd still have Phil Jones and Perriera on their books. They’ve offered Mata a new deal. They didn’t get anywhere near what they could have for Smalling.

Chelsea still have Drinkwater, Alonso, Emerson to name a few.

Certain players are just happy to pick up a pay cheque and run down their contract. It’s a sign of the times.

Also, this is the hardest market to offload players, the European clubs are broke. Don’t underestimate the impact of Covid just because clubs like City, Chelsea and Utd can still spend.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

It’s not just us. Utd still have Phil Jones and Perriera on their books. They’ve offered Mata a new deal. They didn’t get anywhere near what they could have for Smalling.

Chelsea still have Drinkwater, Alonso, Emerson to name a few.

Certain players are just happy to pick up a pay cheque and run down their contract. It’s a sign of the times.

Also, this is the hardest market to offload players, the European clubs are broke. Don’t underestimate the impact of Covid just because clubs like City, Chelsea and Utd can still spend.

Every club does it of course. My concern is that we don't seem to have learned our lesson from the last time.

The likes of Mustafi and Sokratis we've rightfully wiped the slate clean with but have replaced them with Willian, Cedric and Mari who we'll face the same situation with over the next 2-3 seasons. There was absolutely no need to give any of those guys the wages they're currently claiming. That's not the players fault either obviously.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
So who do we need to sell in each position before we can make a move for our targets?

Bellerin AND Cedric?
Xhaka, Torreira AND Willock?
Lacazette AND Nketiah?

Do you think we'd be happy moving just 1 of each option?

That's still a **** load to do in a month. Let's hope Amazon get their cameras setup soon so it forces some action.

Bellerin goes and I think we sign a RB soon after. Xhaka goes and we sign a CM, agree with the striker though think Eddie and Laca both need to go to bring anyone in.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Every club does it of course. My concern is that we don't seem to have learned our lesson from the last time.

The likes of Mustafi and Sokratis we've rightfully wiped the slate clean with but have replaced them with Willian, Cedric and Mari who we'll face the same situation with over the next 2-3 seasons. There was absolutely no need to give any of those guys the wages they're currently claiming. That's not the players fault either obviously.
Yea that is a fair point. Certainly in Cedrics case. I think Mari has been decent and he’ll be on low wages.

Willian, whist I didn’t want him, just because of what Chelsea fans had been saying over his last few years there, I can still see why the club went for him. It’s just turned out to be a monumental disaster of a signing.

Hopefully this is the last time hay!?

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
@Rasmi we don't ask for Leicester type signings we want man City type signings.

Also @Rasmi we don't scout we don't have any scouts.

How did we sign lokonga and tavares if we have no scouts? Make it make sense.
Answering this because its just wrong. Pretty sure it was widely reported Lokonga was recommended by Vincent Kompany, Tavares popped up because we were talking to Benefica about selling a player apparently - cant remember who. We probably used statdna as well 😩

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Answering this because its just wrong. Pretty sure it was widely reported Lokonga was recommended by Vincent Kompany, Tavares popped up because we were talking to Benefica about selling a player apparently - cant remember who. We probably used statdna as well 😩

We still scout players, how do you think we packed out the under 23's and keep signing young talent from other clubs? We didn't sack all our scouts ffs. During covid you just didn't need scouts as they couldn't go and visit different games to watch players. This is where people just need to think a little more.

TornadoTed

Established Member
It is also easy to focus on the negatives in our transfer business, nobody has a 100% strike rate.

For example Michaels Edwards gets heaps of praise, no doubt he has done a stellar job but many forget he also spent £110m on Ox, Keita and Shaqiri. I can only imagine the bile and vitriol if Edu had of sanctioned £110m on those three.

So far Edu has had some successes and some failures, pretty much like any other DOF that has ever worked in football. We will know in 2-3 years time whether his successes outweigh his failures or vice versa.

jeremypkw

Bellerin goes and I think we sign a RB soon after. Xhaka goes and we sign a CM, agree with the striker though think Eddie and Laca both need to go to bring anyone in.
Agree on the midfield. Reckon we'd be confident that someone will come in for Torreira near deadline day via a loan. Willlocks value is still at an all time high, get a sneaky suspicion West Ham will swoop in.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yea that is a fair point. Certainly in Cedrics case. I think Mari has been decent and he’ll be on low wages.

Willian, whist I didn’t want him, just because of what Chelsea fans had been saying over his last few years there, I can still see why the club went for him. It’s just turned out to be a monumental disaster of a signing.

Hopefully this is the last time hay!?

It's not just the wages but the years as well which is a big reason we end up stuck with them. Apparently Cedric on 75k a week and Mari on 85k a week. For 1-2 years that may have have been ok but no reason to give them 4 year deals. They must have thought they'd won the lottery! I don't see any other top 10 side signing either of those players.

With Willian we should have walked away from after we realised he wouldn't accept anything other than a 3 year deal but that's been done to death by now.

Hopefully Edu learns massively from it. Early days but Tavares and Lokanga look like the kind of good deals we should be making.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
They made mistakes in the first window but have learnt from that. Which is a good sign, we are only focussing on guys aged between 20-24 which is exactly what we should be doing. Not just from a squad perspective and making the squad better but if things don't work out they wont be impossible to sell.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
We still scout players, how do you think we packed out the under 23's and keep signing young talent from other clubs? We didn't sack all our scouts ffs. During covid you just didn't need scouts as they couldn't go and visit different games to watch players. This is where people just need to think a little more.
Do you ever stop trying to argue something that hasnt been mentioned, sick of it. You asked how we ended up with 2 players without scouting them and I pointed out how.

Now you're trying to suggest I said we fired every scout - no we didnt but we fired the vast majority of them. But Id dint say that so I dont know why you brought it up with me.

A lot of people lost their jobs who were very good at them and very loyal to the club that have not been rehired, so no it wasnt just covid. This is where you need to think a little bit more.

I get your whole attitude around the club can do no wrong but this is getting delusional, and very very condescending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom