• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Joe Willock (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trill

Not Trilly
Saka and Esr could but they need a team around them of the same level. They'll be poached soon enough if we're not back in european spots - Saka signed what a 4 year contract last summer for 40-50k a year? Should've doubled that at minimum this year and got him on a 5 year contract. Next summer he'll have 2 years left and be a key player in the England world cup squad at 20 years old...

I reckon City will come sniffing. He's very much a Pep player is Saka

db10fan

Hoping we can move Xhaka (time to move on), Torreira (wants to leave), and Elneny (decent but better give his place to younger talents), which means Willock can stay as CM with Partey, Lokonga, New starting CM, and AMN (if he stays). These 5 + Chambers as emergency CM is enough with only EPL and cups. Willock has shown his potential at Newcastle, its up to Arteta to develop him further. But if Arteta still dont see a role for him, then loaning hin is best for us. Though I really hope Arteta decide to use him.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
For me it’s obvious Willock has potential to develop into a really fine midfielder and the one thing he needs is more playing time and exposure to different set ups.
Just curious, why is this obvious to you?

For me, a player that has shown so little involvement on the ball and ability to receive in play in midfield, being a centre midfielder, and whose resume is built basically on a streak of goals where he vastly outperformed his xG...well let's just say it would seem to me anything but obvious that he can develop into a really fine midfielder. Strikes me, honestly, that his potential is limited to the type of player who will struggle to play any meaningful role for a top club. What we're supposedly striving to be again.

I don’t know tbh. I’m pretty sure we won’t finish top 6 anyway, although there’s some potential to do so.
If we make the signings we should (Thomas partner, new RB with Bellerín leaving, and AM, be it Ødegaard, Aouar, or Maddison) there's really no excuse for not finishing top 5. We would have comfortably the 5th most talented squad. Even without one of those signings I think we probably would have the 5th best squad. There's no excuse from Arteta for anything less than 5th, IMO.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Just curious, why is this obvious to you?

For me, a player that has shown so little involvement on the ball and ability to receive in play in midfield, being a centre midfielder, and whose resume is built basically on a streak of goals where he vastly outperformed his xG...well let's just say it would seem to me anything but obvious that he can develop into a really fine midfielder. Strikes me, honestly, that his potential is limited to the type of player who will struggle to play any meaningful role for a top club. What we're supposedly striving to be again.
I think he has traits that are very hard to come by in his movement off and to some extent on the ball. He has a sense for timing his runs into the box and while I stand by another post where I claimed it's not really a goalscoring midfielder we need, it's not something that's easy to come by.

When Willock came through I think he showed a lot of promise on the ball and in his passing game as well, albeit a bit raw. He hasn't lived up to my personal expectations from then, but he's also not been played in a position suited to his abilities and his game, imho.

I've also said that I think he would struggle to find a place in a team that plays 4231, at least from what he's showed this far.
If we make the signings we should (Thomas partner, new RB with Bellerín leaving, and AM, be it Ødegaard, Aouar, or Maddison) there's really no excuse for not finishing top 5. We would have comfortably the 5th most talented squad. Even without one of those signings I think we probably would have the 5th best squad. There's no excuse from Arteta for anything less than 5th, IMO.
I wasn't talking about not finishing top 6 regardless of our business, but rather that I don't think we'll finish top 6 if we commit to developing/playing young players and don't do any (big) business. It was a bit sloppily stated, but in regards to the youth route. I 100% think top 6 is achievable with the business you state.

We might even be in reach of top 4, but I personally have a hard time seeing us get that, regardless of who we get (that's attainable).

Last edited:

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
Hoping we can move Xhaka (time to move on), Torreira (wants to leave), and Elneny (decent but better give his place to younger talents), which means Willock can stay as CM with Partey, Lokonga, New starting CM, and AMN (if he stays). These 5 + Chambers as emergency CM is enough with only EPL and cups. Willock has shown his potential at Newcastle, its up to Arteta to develop him further. But if Arteta still dont see a role for him, then loaning hin is best for us. Though I really hope Arteta decide to use him.
Don't care about Willock, neither of AMN, AMN particularly is a bad player in my books, very dumb on the pitch.
They aren't better than Xhaka (who I agree that needs to move), Elneny (more decent in his style of play) and even Torreira (while I think he needs to move on too).

DasBootist

Against selling Willock. Along with Partey, Lokonga, another starting calibre midfielder and Azeez, I'd say that group of midfielders would suffice for the coming season.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Against selling Willock. Along with Partey, Lokonga, another starting calibre midfielder and Azeez, I'd say that group of midfielders would suffice for the coming season.

I'd personally rather not have a guy as 3rd or 4th choice CM sitting on the bench who can get us £25M. Now is the time to sell Willock. This has happened far too many times now, need to strike when the irons hot.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Selling our promising youth talents to buy more bums like Ramsdale.

I thought they would have learnt by now. We are going to be starting this season with guys like Cedric, Willian and Elneny while our most promising talents are wasting away.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Loan is the worst option here(assuming we don't extend his contract).. If he's not in the plans for next season we have to sell while his value is at its highest.

You don't know his that his value is at its highest, it could be higher in a year. I've always said if we loan him then we should give him a new contract first. It really depends on how much we need the money, £50m on White, Maddison or MO as our 10, we definitely have money to spend so would £25m for Willock really make or break our window? I dont think so, that's why I prefer a loan with contract ext rather than to sell.

Vanpayslip

You don't know his that his value is at its highest, it could be higher in a year. I've always said if we loan him then we should give him a new contract first. It really depends on how much we need the money, £50m on White, Maddison or MO as our 10, we definitely have money to spend so would £25m for Willock really make or break our window? I dont think so, that's why I prefer a loan with contract ext rather than to sell.

His whole hype is off his goal scoring at Newcastle. Have you actually watched those games. Other than the goals he was bang average in every other aspect of his game. He isn’t really going to be able to maintain a goal scoring record like that indefinitely. So how do you expect his value to increase when the only thing that was positive from last season, his goals, will probably not be repeated at that rate again?
If anything, he has probably peaked in terms of value at Arsenal.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

Make a freaking bid then? Willock is available whole summer. everyone is acting cheap ffs.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We need to offer our players specially the likes of Willock Nelson AMN and Nelson around and see who want and willing to make bids we need to stop waiting for one team to make bid.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Really hope Newcastle come in with a big bid for Joe, would be open to selling him.

Arteta isn't gonna use him and it's better to sell than loan, need to try and make some money on our players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom