• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

James Maddison

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

He's a better option for rotating with the likes of Pepe, Saka and ESR as well. You sign Maddison for that kind of money your kind of guaranteeing him a place in the side whilst hindering the development a bit of the others.
I can see us actually going for him late in the window when we stopped chasing unrealistic tail

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

This is it for me, he's the only one that you know will make a difference if he gets back to his 19/20 form. Every other link is so meh to me. Maddison is a real game changer on top form. He had a real mixed season last campaign but I think there's a real top player there.
You don’t want to spend 70 million on a player with questionable hip. The fact that Leicester are not desperate to keep him should be a red flag

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I can see us actually going for him late in the window when we stopped chasing unrealistic tail

I guess it depends on whether another club moves for him before then. I think he's been linked with West Ham and a Saudi Arabian side as well.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

He's a better option for rotating with the likes of Pepe, Saka and ESR as well. You sign Maddison for that kind of money your kind of guaranteeing him a place in the side whilst hindering the development a bit of the others.

Is Maddison even better than Perreira though?

Both are inconsistent but Perreira is a better goal scorer and pretty similar creatively.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

You don’t want to spend 70 million on a player with questionable hip. The fact that Leicester are not desperate to keep him should be a red flag

Yeah 70 million is a bit steep and I'd hope it'd be less than that but at the same time I wouldn't want a much lesser player just because they cost less.

This time last year injuries wouldn't have been a factor at all if we were linked to Maddison, you don't just become a crock in one season.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Is Maddison even better than Perreira though?

Both are inconsistent but Perreira is a better goal scorer and pretty similar creatively.

Pereira's had a pretty similar career trajectory as him so far. I'd say on Maddison's form last season pre injury I'd have him ahead but whether he regains that is another thing. I wouldn't say he's £40-50m better than Pereira though. Your in Grealish territory at those sort of prices.

Goonger

Makes you wonder why we don’t go for Perreira seen as Leicester are happy replacing Maddison with him and he’s only 15M.

That’d be the smarter play imo.

Agreed. Like Pereira, he's performed in the Championship & now in the Premier League. He can play all across the attacking midfield 3 so has more versatility to his game, & therefore can rotate more with ESR, Pepe & Saka. I read WBA were trying to get £30M, but sure he can be had for less.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Yeah 70 million is a bit steep and I'd hope it'd be less than that but at the same time I wouldn't want a much lesser player just because they cost less.

This time last year injuries wouldn't have been a factor at all if we were linked to Maddison, you don't just become a crock in one season.

He missed time the season before with the same hip issue as well though which is no joke.

If we’re paying 20M more than Bruno just think there’s a few red flags.

Never really racked up the goals and assists so will he do that with us? Are Leicester a better team without him if they got Perreira?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
If there's nothing on this through this week I think it's pretty dead. Feel like we were given a dumb price and we moved on to Lautaro.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

You're not excited by this?
I left my answer in his thread. Undoubtedly quality but will we put out a formation to get the best out a second striker like him? Probably not. If we signed and built around this guy I'd change my tune but Arteta seems very much a team first guy.

I've only ever watched Lautaro paired upfront with Lukaku and there is no Lukaku or such formation here.

I'd feel better about another number 8 or 10 rather than another diminutive striker, even though it would probably kill off my boi Pepe. Our problem is chance creation.

Reactions: A_G

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I left my answer in his thread. Undoubtedly quality but will we put out a formation to get the best out a second striker like him? Probably not. If we signed and built around this guy I'd change my tune but Arteta seems very much a team first guy.

I've only ever watched Lautaro paired upfront with Lukaku and there is no Lukaku or such formation here.

I'd feel better about another number 8 or 10 rather than another diminutive striker, even though it would probably kill off my boi Pepe. Our problem is chance creation.

EBFA8A27-8FF6-482E-9B0D-F0DC6793A691.jpeg

Lautaro’s underrated creatively man. Pretty even with Maddison already.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

View attachment 3862

Lautaro’s underrated creatively man. Pretty even with Maddison already.
I'm not dismissing it, but I've never liked side by side comparisons from different leagues.

We could hold one of those charts comparing Saka and Sancho who both play right wing and Sancho would look like twice the player. It ignores the fact they one is in a better team and different league.

Our current players before they joined and after they joined are almost two different charts sometimes. Lautaro is the better player but I just question the fit that's all.

ProspectFox

Too full of himself
good post and welcome to the forum. Any truth in him and Rodgers not having best relationship? Also any truth in him being a bit of a prima donna and lastly how is his hip injury? Some people believe he will have reoccurring hip issues hence leicester want to cash in on him. Personally he is a really good player, but not worth the 70 million thats being talked about

My mate only really has contact with other members of the recruitment team, so he wouldn't really know.

But putting my Leicester hat on, Rodger's reluctance to leave him out last season, when clearly unfit, suggests there's nothing wrong with the relationship at all. I think actually, this kind of answers both questions. For me, Maddison's 'Injury problems', aren't really a 'problem' at all.
He was rushed back last year, to help with the FA Cup/Top 4 push, even though he clearly wasn't ready, every time you watched him play. It's part of the reason Dennis Praet's problem with a lack of game time is pretty valid, Maddison was not deserving of a place in the starting 11 ahead of him at the back end of last season, after Maddison's return from injury. Unfortunately for Praet, he picked up a pretty long term injury last season too in the cup at Stoke.

The 'willingness' to sell, from both Rodgers and the club, has nothing to do with any worry about injury issues, it's just that the club believe that as with Maguire/Chilwell, they can reinvest the fee and improve both the starting 11 and the squad as a whole.

Berardi is the key to the transfer, then a replacement for Maddison, the club's first choice for that is Pereira. He's not like for like, but the club also likes the fact he can play as a 8, 10 or right winger.
Callum Mcgregor from Celtic is also a possibility, so don't be surprised if that rumour circulates, but that's a target if they are able to get rid of both Choudhury and Mendy, nothing to do with a Maddison deal.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I'm not dismissing it, but I've never liked side by side comparisons from different leagues.

We could hold one of those charts comparing Saka and Sancho who both play right wing and Sancho would look like twice the player. It ignores the fact they one is in a better team and different league.

Our current players before they joined and after they joined are almost two different charts sometimes.

At least if you Artetafy Lautaro he’s still a good player. Maddison getting single figures for goals and assists as is with Leicester doesn’t bode well for the Arteta tax 😬

0D655FE5-1B57-4B6B-97C8-9E9D36BF6988.jpeg
Sancho and RW Saka where he’s at his best are quite interesting btw. Very similar statistically with only assists and key passes which are understandably lower.

Seen as he’s two years younger than Sancho and his xG based stats are good wouldn’t be shocked if he had a big season numbers wise.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

My mate only really has contact with other members of the recruitment team, so he wouldn't really know.

But putting my Leicester hat on, Rodger's reluctance to leave him out last season, when clearly unfit, suggests there's nothing wrong with the relationship at all. I think actually, this kind of answers both questions. For me, Maddison's 'Injury problems', aren't really a 'problem' at all.
He was rushed back last year, to help with the FA Cup/Top 4 push, even though he clearly wasn't ready, every time you watched him play. It's part of the reason Dennis Praet's problem with a lack of game time is pretty valid, Maddison was not deserving of a place in the starting 11 ahead of him at the back end of last season, after Maddison's return from injury. Unfortunately for Praet, he picked up a pretty long term injury last season too in the cup at Stoke.

The 'willingness' to sell, from both Rodgers and the club, has nothing to do with any worry about injury issues, it's just that the club believe that as with Maguire/Chilwell, they can reinvest the fee and improve both the starting 11 and the squad as a whole.

Berardi is the key to the transfer, then a replacement for Maddison, the club's first choice for that is Pereira. He's not like for like, but the club also likes the fact he can play as a 8, 10 or right winger.
Callum Mcgregor from Celtic is also a possibility, so don't be surprised if that rumour circulates, but that's a target if they are able to get rid of both Choudhury and Mendy, nothing to do with a Maddison deal.
So essentially they hope Arsenal overpay and they can use that money to strengthen the squad. So if he stay those signings won’t happen it looks like. Leicester already ripped of United and Chelsea with those fees, specially Chelsea as chillwell is never a 50 million pound player.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

At least if you Artetafy Lautaro he’s still a good player. Maddison getting single figures for goals and assists as is with Leicester doesn’t bode well for the Arteta tax 😬

View attachment 3863
Sancho and RW Saka where he’s at his best are quite interesting btw. Very similar statistically with only assists and key passes which are understandably lower.

Seen as he’s two years younger than Sancho and his xG based stats are good wouldn’t be shocked if he had a big season numbers wise.
I don't hate the Martinez signing anyways, I just know it will be followed with 12 months of "if only the rest of the team was as good as Martinez" and cries to build the team around him when we inevitably do something else.

I also think the adjustment with his numbers will disappoint some, although he may get away with it if he does silky stuff on the ball from time to time.

Martinez isn't quite the squad rebuild we was promised, for me it's doubling down on what we have instead of admitting the squad has been built incorrectly.

I also think 70m is far too high for what Maddison would bring, I just like the player.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

If there's nothing on this through this week I think it's pretty dead. Feel like we were given a dumb price and we moved on to Lautaro.
No you have moved on to your new weekly crush Lautaro. A week ago you were gushing over Maddison and now it’s like I don’t know him. So much for loyalty eh

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

To be honest, our striker situation is very very worrying.
I'm at a stage, and its been more than a whole season now, that I actually dont want Auba played at all and rather still get his wages off the books.
He had a horrible season, granted, illness and some other issues didnt help, but what exactly does he offer us when he ain't even scoring ?
Auba is aweful in what he contributes to the game, it's all about his goal which I dont see coming back. We actually have to compensate for his lack of ability in terms of general play which is only fine if he does score.

If Balogun - obviously the dream outcome for us all - or Martinelli aren't tearing it up suddenly out of nowhere, there really is a massive void in our first team.

Whilst Laca has significantly outperformed Auba recently, I see him on the same trajectory. Rather get a few bucks and another massive wages off the books.

Pepe, Saka and ESR are all promising and streets ahead of the rest of our attacking players. Either Flo joins the lot with a massive first season giving us that full-action striker back that we once had with RVP/Henry and the likes in the golden days, or we gotta sign one.

Lauturo looks like a good option to make Pepe and Saka look a lot better and have their output increase significantly.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom