• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Non-Arsenal Transfers Thread: Summer 2021

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 6,511
  • Views 443,807
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Everyone broke, or pretending to be broke until the last week.

He had a very successful loan too and Utd weren't expecting him back.
Yes look like similar case of willock look like all clubs afraid of investing.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

finally at least Laca is better than someone. if only he don't miss decent chances.
Stats are misleading. 2 goals was from the bench for Liverpool. He then moved to Southampton a below midtable EPL team where his record was decent. Lacazette is at a team aiming for the top 4.

17/18 Ings played 265 Premier league minutes, roughly 3 games in total and scored 1 goal. Lacazette played 2211 minutes in the Pl roughly 24 games and scored 14 goals.

18/9 season Ings played 1666 minutes or the equivalent of 18 games scoring 7 PL goals Lacazette played 2502 or the equivalent of 27 games scoring 13 PL goals.

19/20 season Ings played the equivalent of 31 PL games/2814 minutes and scored 22 goals. Lacazette played 1879 minutes or the equivalent of 20 PL games scoring 10 goals.

20/21 season Ings 24 games or 2183 minutes and 12 goals. Lacazette 1929 minutes or equivalent of 21 games and 13 goals.

When broken down the numbers are very similar. Best comparison is Ings 20/21 and Lacazette 17/18. Massive caveat is Ings has consistently played for a worse team. In their peak season for minutes 2502 for Lacazette and 2814 for Ings, Ings managed 8 more league goals. That's some achievement all things considered.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Apparently Pep sees him as an attacking number 8, probably to take the place of Bernardo Silva who wants a move to Spain.

Also, Zinchenko is left footed.
For me Grealish will be Peps new Iniesta. Playing styles with dribbling and short passing are very similar. He will be in the middle and if he is fit will play every game.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
It’s not the ability that makes me have question marks about City personally. It’s his off the ball work, his willingness to press and track back, we’ve already seen players not on his level like Saka and Mount get ahead of him for team reasons at international level. I can see similar stuff happening at City.

Pep is very whimsical as well, as any FPL manager will tell you - the only players safe from rotation were KDB, Dias and Ederson last season. Very weird transfer.
The myth of Grealish not working hard or tracking back comes from Southgate who plucked it out of the air as one of his excuses for not picking him. Before that it was he didn't have international experience. And before that it was that he hadn't played in the Premier League much (despite then calling up Kalvin Phillips who hadn't got a single PL appearance at the time)

He works back plenty. He covered more ground per game than any of Villa's other attacking players last season. In fact one of the tactical tweaks Smith made was to keep Grealish further up the pitch because he was tracking back too much to get the ball and get involved and wasn't available in attack enough.

Of course he'll get rotated, everyone at City does bar the holy trinity of Ederson, KDB and Dias. But Grealish will play far more than people realise.

He'll be their second best attacker behind KDB

lomekian

Essays are my thing
The difference is that Ings has started scoring goals as he moved from midfield to striker later in his career whilst Laca has generally dropped off a bit over the years. That said, I think Ings is a useful player and gives Villa some depth and options up front. He's not as good a player as Laca in my opinion and aside from that paying a big fee for a 29 year old is always going to be a gamble. Tammy at £35-40m is the better deal than Ings at £30m whichever way you look at it - hope Arsenal swerve Tammy as well though!
Ings has never played midfield at any level for any club. Has only ever been a striker. Laca started as a winger...

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Stats are misleading. 2 goals was from the bench for Liverpool. He then moved to Southampton a below midtable EPL team where his record was decent. Lacazette is at a team aiming for the top 4.

17/18 Ings played 265 Premier league minutes, roughly 3 games in total and scored 1 goal. Lacazette played 2211 minutes in the Pl roughly 24 games and scored 14 goals.

18/9 season Ings played 1666 minutes or the equivalent of 18 games scoring 7 PL goals Lacazette played 2502 or the equivalent of 27 games scoring 13 PL goals.

19/20 season Ings played the equivalent of 31 PL games/2814 minutes and scored 22 goals. Lacazette played 1879 minutes or the equivalent of 20 PL games scoring 10 goals.

20/21 season Ings 24 games or 2183 minutes and 12 goals. Lacazette 1929 minutes or equivalent of 21 games and 13 goals.

When broken down the numbers are very similar. Best comparison is Ings 20/21 and Lacazette 17/18. Massive caveat is Ings has consistently played for a worse team. In their peak season for minutes 2502 for Lacazette and 2814 for Ings, Ings managed 8 more league goals. That's some achievement all things considered.
Not even sure why discussions around strikers always come down to goals. Sure, that's most often their primary job, but we somehow always neglect everything else.
The biggest advantage Ings has against all of our strikers is his ability to bring the ball down and connect with players around him, while with our strikers (especially Auba), the ball bounces from them like hitting a wall.

Ings is better than all of our strikers, it doesn't really matter if he scores a few goals less, his general play adds much more than that

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I really don’t think he is. I’ve seen plenty of stuff saying he’ll need to become a more complete player to make it at Man City and people expecting him to just warm the bench.

But he’s already that good. He’s honestly a world class player. I think people will be surprised at how good he is

The point is he's just been bought for 100m after a summer where the whole country went crazy for him at the Euros, can't really argue he's underrated in those circumstances. He's probably the most rated man in England right now :lol:

People just say any sh*t's underrated..."omg lasagna's so underrated" no it f*cking isn't everyone loves lasagna!

OSBK

Established Member
For me Grealish will be Peps new Iniesta. Playing styles with dribbling and short passing are very similar. He will be in the middle and if he is fit will play every game.

Deffo. A midfield trio of rodri, grealish and kdb is insane. The power and speed of city attacks and counters will be too much for everyone

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

The point is he's just been bought for 100m after a summer where the whole country went crazy for him at the Euros, can't really argue he's underrated in those circumstances. He's probably the most rated man in England right now :lol:

People just say any sh*t's underrated..."omg lasagna's so underrated" no it f*cking isn't everyone loves lasagna!
I don't think people know what overrated or underrated means :lol:

I can't think of anyone who doesn't rate Jack Grealish there was damn near a petition to get him into the England team. He's way past underrated now, he's a star.

OSBK

Established Member
Not even sure why discussions around strikers always come down to goals. Sure, that's most often their primary job, but we somehow always neglect everything else.
The biggest advantage Ings has against all of our strikers is his ability to bring the ball down and connect with players around him, while with our strikers (especially Auba), the ball bounces from them like hitting a wall.

Ings is better than all of our strikers, it doesn't really matter if he scores a few goals less, his general play adds much more than that

Its because a firmino type striker has never really been rated in world football till recently. We never really had the prolific wingers in football that we have these days. The amount of goals a salah, sterling, gnabry even ronaldo etc etc can deliver the CF role became less about goals. There are exceptions of course but the elite goalscorers and all round CF are becoming less and less. Werner is a prime example of a next generation forward, he should score insane numbers but doesnt. His all round play though will give huge oppurtinity to pulisic and the rest to score alot of goals. Great point you made.

Kysus

They are nothing alike wtf.
Iniesta released the ball quickly, amazing off the ball and super intelligent with his passing.
Grealish holds on to the ball(too much) and draws a zillion fouls by dribbling at people.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

They are nothing alike wtf.
Iniesta released the ball quickly, amazing off the ball and super intelligent with his passing.
Grealish holds on to the ball(too much) and draws a zillion fouls by dribbling at people
I'll bookmark this for future reference and suggest you rewatch Iniesta and just how good a dribbler he is. Generally drifting to the left side to do so and going by players the way Grealish does now.

Dribbling and passing style they are very similar. Both are very intelligent in their use of the ball and for Grealish that level is only going to go up with better players around him and being coached by Pep with his style of football which will demand quicker releases.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member

He's rated by Man City, which is why they've paid the money.
He's underrated by the people, some on this forum, saying he'll flop or he needs to add to his game or he doesn't track back or he's just going to warm the bench

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
I don't think people know what overrated or underrated means :lol:

I can't think of anyone who doesn't rate Jack Grealish there was damn near a petition to get him into the England team. He's way past underrated now, he's a star.
Yet he was a bit part player at the euros, despite being one of the best players in the squad. And as I said above there's plenty of people saying he'll flop or just be a bench player.

I know what underrated means. There's plenty of people who don't realise how good Grealish is. Therefore he is underrated by those people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom