• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Welcome To Arsenal Ben White

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
We use data analysis and both live and video scouting and didn`t change our mind about wanting to sign him, hugely impressive work from Edu and Arteta. Obviously the agent will be happy, he probably just made himself a small fortune

TinFish

People think it's an underwhelming signing, and in part I agree. However I think he is exactly what Arsenal need in defence. A bit expensive but decent enough signing considering how far we've fallen. He will show up clowns like Holding/Mari this season.

If only we can sort out the RB slot...

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
oie-Poji-On-MA27h0.jpg

SK___

people hating on this signing for what?
because he’s “short”? compact people are lucky to me, because they can fit anywhere without much discomfort & last time I checked, 6’1 has never been short... only gripe is his shirt number

welcome big man, you got next

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

people hating on this signing for what?
because he’s “short”? compact people are lucky to me, because they can fit anywhere without much discomfort & last time I checked, 6’1 has never been short... only gripe is his shirt number

welcome big man, you got next
I haven't seen much hate, and I personally really like this signing. People just think it's underwhelming when United sign Varane, but I'm not too fuzzed. Ben seems a great guy with a level head and much talent.

Most Brighton fans said that eventhough they have better straight defenders (who are also much older), Ben brought something really different which they lack, and also that he could have done better than Arsenal.

mirrorstare

I haven't heard that anywhere, what I've seen is every Brighton fan celebrating getting 50m for their third best defender and hoping, not being confident or sure of it, that White develops into a top club calibre player.

drippin

I haven't heard that anywhere, what I've seen is every Brighton fan celebrating getting 50m for their third best defender and hoping, not being confident or sure of it, that White develops into a top club calibre player.
Well I read a lot of pages in their forum, and yes, some said that he is their 3rd best defender. They have good defenders, who are also a lot older, so it's not a surprise they defend a bit better.

But it's also very predictable that many say this when they lose a player. Many also were gutted that covid made them never see him play live.

One member with I think about 9000 messages also said that eventhough he made a few mistakes early in the season, like the Rashford incident, he went from strength to strength from there making almost zero mistakes.

drippin

I accidentally noticed that Transfermarkt has changed White's height from 189 cm to 186 cm in recent weeks for those interested. This is closer to the 185 cm mark which was my guess. Not sure where they have got the number or what spurred them to change it now.

Anyway, here is some analysis from 29th July. Not much new here for those who have studied him.

@UnitedBeard in the mud as Breaking the Lines also says White is EPL proven. :lol: Guess you have to reconsider what it means.

"Can White Solve Arsenal’s Defensive Woes?

One of Ben White’s biggest draws is his versatility. He has been used in multiple positions, including centre-back, right-back, and sometimes as a defensive midfielder alongside Yves Bissouma for added protection. His versatility is feasible because of his wiry, athletic physique required for the different roles. He stands at around six feet which may not measure up to the towering heights of Gabriel or other centre-back options, but he makes up for it in other aspects of his game.

The 23-year-old is a solid all-around defender with outstanding positioning and awareness. He constantly analyses the state of play, scanning fervently and is quick to act on any potential attacking threats using his anticipation and exceptional agility to great effect. White is strong in tackles and relishes the opportunity to put attackers under pressure, a big element that Arteta has aimed to incorporate into his defence.

The biggest weakness in his game is his aerial combativeness, which has at times been a noticeable frailty. It is also a problem that has borne its teeth to Arsenal in their opening pre-season matches and something Arteta will want to address.

Whilst speed is a crucial aspect of White’s game, another equally important physical asset and something Arteta would have taken special note of is his fitness record. So far, he has not suffered an injury that has forced him to miss a match. This has enabled him to accumulate his nauseating number of 13,750 minutes of football, which is more than any other Arsenal centre-back (excluding Calum Chambers).

On the ball, White is a progressive player who enjoys meandering into the midfield to beat the press before offloading the ball to his teammates to carry on the attack. Something which Arsenal missed severely whenever David Luiz was absent from the first eleven. The lack of urgency from defensive areas hindered attacking intent which led to lulls in crucial match stages. White’s adventurous passing range and clever dribbling would help to push Arsenal further up the pitch and initiate more attacks.

White’s positioning is also an asset in attack as he is able to identify space when receiving the ball and drive past the first line of defence into midfield areas. He thrives under pressure, and his composure on the ball would be crucial for Arsenal if the move materialises. Last season Arsenal faced numerous issues when playing against the high press, which often led to errors and became a noticeable Achilles heel in the side.

The introduction of White would enable them to play out the back with greater success and open spaces for other players to attack. When successful, it has been an extremely effective approach implemented by Arteta, which was shown in the latter stages of the 2019/20 FA Cup.

Another consideration will be his defensive partner, who will most likely be Gabriel. The Brazilian’s aggressive, dominant playstyle would combine nicely alongside the more composed and technical Ben White. The ex-Lille defender’s aerial dominance was one of the key reasons for Arsenal’s strong defensive set-piece record. Given their young ages, the partnership could prove to be a formidable up-and-coming duo.

Conclusion​

Some will be put off by the hefty price tag, but Ben White has established himself at every level as an exemplary product of the football pyramid in England. With three years on his contract, Brighton had the negotiation power and no reason to sell until their valuation was met. Additionally, English Premier League players have an extended history of inflated fees: Chilwell to Chelsea, Wan-Bissaka to Manchester United and John Stones to Manchester City all moving for similar prices.

White is only 23 years old, homegrown, has an outstanding fitness record, Premier League proven, a style that would complement Gabriel and benefit Arteta’s system. He has all the tools that Arsenal currently lack when the defence is in possession and brings defensive nous to the side. Whilst costly, his potential is scarily high and would represent another change at Arsenal with the old being replaced by the new."

drippin

The amount of discussion about his height is quite the red flag. That's what you discuss in a player if he has no actually interesting traits on his game
If you think he has no interesting traits in his game, you clearly don't know about his game, and your conclusion is misguided about the height discussion.

Besides, if you see my post in full, the height was only a small part in it. The other part talks about his game, which is very interesting, especially if you don't know about him.

LukesLaw

My husband loved football, I am a Manc but he was an avid LCFC suporter. He went all over the place to watch them and started many of chants when he was watching the games. He would often come home with destroyed vocal chords. City was everything to him but he also had a soft spot for my team too 💙 But this is about more than the shirts we wear.

I recently lost my husband through a gambling addiction. He was a happy man but was sucked into a hole after being given 'free bets' whilst being furloughed, which ultimately cost him his life. I have made a video that explains more here.

I have set up a petition asking the government to ban 'free bets'. This is where I am asking for your support. Could you sign and possibly share it.

Petition: Luke’s Law: Ban 'free bets' and emails that entice gamblers to place 'free bets'

Sorry for asking but I am trying to gain as much support for this as possible and as he put his all into being a huge supporter, I thought I would give this a go. Signing will take 1 minute and sharing will take even less time. Hope you do not mind me posting on here but we all know gambling is rife around sports and we have seen adverts, freebets, sports sponsorships ruin our love of sport.

LukesLaw

I did try and post this in the main thread and the other football clubs have literally posted it and pinned it where it would get the most notice.

This time I have been hidden. Literally could not be any more upset.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
In terms of improving the squad overall, his skills are his dribbling and passing. But is he any better than Luiz with respect to these things? Maybe he can play a higher line than Luiz (not sure) which will be benenficial but his CB partner at arsenal still won’t be able to.

jato

In terms of improving the squad overall, his skills are his dribbling and passing. But is he any better than Luiz with respect to these things? Maybe he can play a higher line than Luiz (not sure) which will be benenficial but his CB partner at arsenal still won’t be able to.

Would you rather Luiz hang around and make bone headed fouls and cards every 4 matches to get himself sent off for another few games? Luiz was brilliant at headers, his passing range and his leadership but he did a lot of dumb stuff as well which cost us dearly. White is also better because he is homegrown and younger outside of skillset alone.

Still plenty of time to improve his aerial ability at that age. Tierney or Bellerin are short relatively but we've never complained much about their heading ability (then again Bellerin can't even do throw-ins haha).

Plus we have one less player with that leech agent Kia around trying to drain more money out of the club.

Top Bottom