• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

James Maddison

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
No player in the right mind thought Arsenal were in the same league as Man United/Real Madrid etc, 'size wise'....Or 'heritage' wise.
But Arsenal, specifically under Arsène, had a track record of signing the likes of Vieira/Henry and turning them into stars. So years after the invincibles, young talented start were still interested in joining Arsenal.

Nottingham Forest 'Heritage wise' are an English domestic giant....But how many players in their early 20's, from abroad, know who they are?
Celtic/Rangers are right up there fanbase wise, with any other club in the UK.

Chelsea, are considered (By pretty much everyone apart from Arsenal fans), to be the biggest and most successful club from London....
And again, players watching on from abroad, or even just younger football fans, will share that perspective too.

No doubt we havent been the biggest club in London, arguably since 2012, but we still are the third biggest side in the UK, and still a major player in Europe. Liverpool remained the number one side for many years prior to Klopp, simply because of the amount of history the club has gathered over the years. United remained the second biggest club, despite not winning a trophy in five years, and the league in almost ten.

Basically what Im saying to you is... despite poor form, United, Liverpool and Arsenal remain levels ahead of the rest of the pack. Chelsea, and to an extent City, are now forcing their way in... due to the sheer numbers they are putting out, results wise... but it would still take them a decade or so, to catch up with Arsenal, United and Liverpool, at their current velocity.

I'm not going to mention Leicester at all bud, I'm sure you understand why. Although I would say... at your current velocity (which is excellent), I'd say 20-30 years of consistency should bring you into the discussion.

Long story short, we are very, very poor at the moment, the poorest we have been ever, and that translates to an 8th placed club in the Premier League, and last season's second tier European competition semi-finalist. And this is seen as a joke situation for the club, which it is.

There are levels to this success game mate, our current situation, is seen as Arsenal's worst ever... when it would be just another day at Leicester, Sp**s, West Ham, pre oil City, and pre oil Chelsea.

Alexs

Not sure why you saw my post as hostile. It was cajoling and an attempt to bolster in the face of relentless negativity from so many in here.

Of course heritage matters less to players, but it isnt nothing. No player in their right mind thinks Leicester, Villa or Everton are in the same league of us size wise
Fair enough. My relentless negativity is solely for the manager and owner (and dof to an extent). I didn't want another Arteta rant in my first reply but worth saying the kudos and acumen of manager and owner also have a draw on players. Can't see a Bergkamp or Henry joining Arteta's 'project'. Dennis was convinced not so much by Rioch obviously but by Hill Wood et al, Henry by Wenger I'm sure.

(Villa have won the European Cup).

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Nottingham Forest 'Heritage wise' are an English domestic giant....But how many players in their early 20's, from abroad, know who they are?

While Clough is a legend Forrest aren't really a domestic giant. The only club in Europe with more European Cups than domestic league titles. Yes they only won the league once and qualified for their second European Cup win by winning the first

The strongest commercial teams have always been attractive for players. So United in the 80s when they were poor attracted numerous top players on British record fees. Liverpool in the 90s/00s/10s when they were a laughing stock still attracted top players.

Celtic and Rangers are poor comparisons because their domestic league is nowhere near the PL. You may aswell compare Anderlect or Porto or Sporting. They're essentially seen as pub leagues to top players.

You can say to an extent it's money attracting them, which it is. But also money can build a sporting project which is equally attractive. IE being part of an exciting project where other top players will join you.

ProspectFox

Too full of himself
It's a bit annoying going on to another fan forum and telling them they are a small club compared to their local rivals. If we were posting on the Leicester forum that Leicester are a smaller club than Villa then I think a lot of the natives would take issue. If you genuinely want a discussion on another fans forum then you probably need a thick skin when some people have views on your club that you don't agree with. Try not to respond in kind and you'll get a better reception from the rest.

Think of it like when you're a guest at someone else's house. Even if he love's Farage and Trump you try really hard not to call him a fascist ***** to their face.

Your post is not accurate, in the slightest.
Unless you have confused me with another poster, I have not come onto this forum and told you that you are 'a small club compared to their local rivals'.

This is what I have a problem with, 'false information'.....Especially those who post inaccurate news/lies, just to promote their own beliefs/agenda.

I don't have any issue with opinions, but I do take issue with people with people posting opinions, as facts.
Like the guy who yesterday, tried to claim it was Leicester's first team vs Man City's C team....Again, just to promote an agenda.
When I pointed out, factually, that Leicester's first choice back 4 last season were all out injured, the guy went quiet.

All this 'Big club/Small club' nonsense is pretty irrelevant.
I think it's an argument used by struggling 'big' clubs, to try and stay relevant.
Claiming Arsenal are a bigger club than Man City, screams of fans trying to grasp onto some kind of 'win', in a metric that is completely irrelevant.
If being a bigger club means a weaker squad, less investment, less attraction to other players, a weaker manager etc etc, I'd rather be the 'smaller' club.

It's a bit like bragging you've got 10 inches swinging between your legs, but it has never seen any action, whilst the 'smaller' guy down the street is always shagged out.

ProspectFox

Too full of himself
While Clough is a legend Forrest aren't really a domestic giant. The only club in Europe with more European Cups than domestic league titles. Yes they only won the league once and qualified for their second European Cup win by winning the first

The strongest commercial teams have always been attractive for players. So United in the 80s when they were poor attracted numerous top players on British record fees. Liverpool in the 90s/00s/10s when they were a laughing stock still attracted top players.

Celtic and Rangers are poor comparisons because their domestic league is nowhere near the PL. You may aswell compare Anderlect or Porto or Sporting. They're essentially seen as pub leagues to top players.

You can say to an extent it's money attracting them, which it is. But also money can build a sporting project which is equally attractive. IE being part of an exciting project where other top players will join you.

So, which 'Top players' have Arsenal signed in the past few years to prove this theory?

ProspectFox

Too full of himself
I'd also like to add I've just texted my mate, to see if the De Vrij+Brozovic rumour is true, and he said that Leicester have enquired about them for around £40 million.

Surprisingly to me he also said it has nothing to do with a deal for Maddison, instead the club are looking to move Dennis Praet on and replacing him with Brozovic and they view De Vrij as Evans's long-term replacement.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
So, which 'Top players' have Arsenal signed in the past few years to prove this theory?

Well how about Partey from current La Liga champions last summer or Bergkamp after we finished mid-table. 2 seasons ago Napoli finished second in Serie A, we beat them to Pepe and Tierney. I think they wanted Gabriel last season or Lakonga this season too.

It's going back a few years but Gervinho picked us over Man City despite us offering a lower transfer fee. Alexis Sanchez also picked us over Liverpool who finished second when we finished 4th.

ProspectFox

Too full of himself
Well how about Partey from current La Liga champions last summer or Bergkamp after we finished mid-table. 2 seasons ago Napoli finished second in Serie A, we beat them to Pepe and Tierney. I think they wanted Gabriel last season or Lakonga this season too.

It's going back a few years but Gervinho picked us over Man City despite us offering a lower transfer fee. Alexis Sanchez also picked us over Liverpool who finished second when we finished 4th.

You have got to be a troll, surely?
Bergkamp was signed 25 years ago!

To be fair, reading back at your messages and looking at your name, I'm guessing you probably are just a troll.

D

Dial Square 1886

To be fair, reading back at your messages and looking at your name, I'm guessing you probably are just a troll.

Yeah, I had to laugh as well when I read that!!

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member

Yes let's ignore the player from a season ago and players 2 seasons ago the prove the rule you claim is questionable and focus on 25 years ago where the same rules apply to players decisions.

I generally want to defend reasonable fans of other clubs but the troll is clearly the rival fan who comes to wind up Arsenal fans on another forum while kicking any element of logic out the window.

What an absolute complete bell end you are

myoldarsenal

No player in the right mind thought Arsenal were in the same league as Man United/Real Madrid etc, 'size wise'....Or 'heritage' wise.
But Arsenal, specifically under Arsène, had a track record of signing the likes of Vieira/Henry and turning them into stars. So years after the invincibles, young talented start were still interested in joining Arsenal.

Celtic/Rangers are right up there fanbase wise, with any other club in the UK.

Chelsea, are considered (By pretty much everyone apart from Arsenal fans), to be the biggest and most successful club from London....
And again, players watching on from abroad, or even just younger football fans, will share that perspective too.

Eh what the feck are you on about?

We have 13 league titles, Chelsea have 5 and 2 UCLs

At worst you can say its even due to their Euro success. Those numbers don't outright point to Chelsea being the 'biggest and most successful'.

Pipe down.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Your post is not accurate, in the slightest.
Unless you have confused me with another poster, I have not come onto this forum and told you that you are 'a small club compared to their local rivals'.

This is what I have a problem with, 'false information'.....Especially those who post inaccurate news/lies, just to promote their own beliefs/agenda.
These are your words-

"Chelsea, are considered (By pretty much everyone apart from Arsenal fans), to be the biggest and most successful club from London...."

My post was very accurate. I'm not giving you an opinion on whether I agree with that statement or not. You are getting incredibly defensive whilst talking down Arsenal on an Arsenal Forum.

mirrorstare

I hope it happens but the more time goes on the more I believe we will end up making a desperate move for Ødegaard in the end.

Underhill

Auba was a world class player. It is undeniable.

My theory is that we can attract all the "top players" that don't have better offers. Better offers would be more money and a more prestigeous club like United, Chelsea, City and at the moment, Liverpool. Leicester is not even a blip on the radar if we offer the same money unless there's a strong loyalty factor like with Vardy (or ESR for Arsenal).

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Auba was a world class player. It is undeniable.

My theory is that we can attract all the "top players" that don't have better offers. Better offers would be more money and a more prestigeous club like United, Chelsea, City and at the moment, Liverpool. Leicester is not even a blip on the radar if we offer the same money unless there's a strong loyalty factor like with Vardy (or ESR for Arsenal).
Vardy was gonna sign, he didn't like wenger

Top Bottom