• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Martin Ødegaard

Who would you rather sign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
In my opinion he's always been available, he's a squad player there and they need money, it's an easy deal to do. If he was Arsenal's number 1 target, they'd have mare a move by name. I think everything suggests they want Maddison first.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I dont disagree regarding that point, but with what @Tir Na Nog said we would be marginally better.
Okay, well I kinda agree with that. We still need GK and I would want a midfielder or a striker and a right-back.

But one thing is that Ødegaard would have adjusted to EPL now, like ESR, and Saka is one season older. Martinelli too. Pepe looking like performing now. These things can make us not only marginally better in themselves.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I like Ødegaard, I'd be very happy with him, the problem I have is they will insist on a realistic buy back option. They do it on every young player, if he is costing 35-40m it will be probably be something like 55 or 60m.
So if he is any good it's just a glorified loan, unless you can either set it higher than they normally would (like £100m) or pay a bit more to exclude one altogether I don't think it is going to be worth it.
He did fit in well though and was really looking good when he got injured, that was a shame, he also fits in that age bracket with our other good younger players (Saka, Smith-Rowe, White, Tierney, Gabriel, Martinelli etc) we would have a very exciting group there, for Arteta to stifle.

I'm really not bothered about a buy back, its up to us to make sure he never wants to go back. In the meantime get him in and focus on what he can offer us. I always said when he returned to Madrid that they wouldn't keep him. If that turns out to be the case why would he even want to go back, ever!

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Signing Ode will make more positive about the pessimistic business we have done so far and our failure to get Xhaka and Partey upgrades and whilst failing to get rid of Bellerin.

Of course Ode won't be popular with certain people in the fan base - blonde, technically gifted player that can pass a ball - all things they hate!

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I'd much rather Ødegaard for 40 million than Maddison (with his possible hip problems) for 70 million. Then get a RB for the 30 million bonus left, or replace Elneny.
If you put them side by side at the same price it's a tough call for me, maybe Maddison just shades it because of his goals.

Ødegaard is likely to be £25m cheaper though and if (big if) we reinvest that into another player then I think overall that's the better option. I like what Ødegaard brings as well - technically excellent, great passing range and control, tenacious presser as well and a leader. Think he has the potential to play deeper as he gets older but he's also a natural number ten. He absolutely has to improve his goal and assist numbers though to take it up a level.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

If you put them side by side at the same price it's a tough call for me, maybe Maddison just shades it because of his goals.

Ødegaard is likely to be £25m cheaper though and if (big if) we reinvest that into another player then I think overall that's the better option. I like what Ødegaard brings as well - technically excellent, great passing range and control, tenacious presser as well and a leader. Think he has the potential to play deeper as he gets older but he's also a natural number ten. He absolutely has to improve his goal and assist numbers though to take it up a level.
He surely has the kind of creativity we need and lack.

Besides, it is destined to be, MO in another form, nomen est omen.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

I think MO is a great player who will only get better. When you think it was only half a season, and he had an injury, he did very well. I think some people just don't like loans, hence why some didn't take to him last season. Then you get those who say "what's the point, it'll take months for him to settle". He proved them wrong by settling straight away. I think taking everything into account, ie a team finishing 8th 2 seasons running, if we can get a player of his quality to sign, everyone should be happy.

Anders Harbo

Angry Scandinavian #6
Imagine this is the only signing we do between now an the end of the window, we'll have essentially not improved our XI at all from the end of last season. Kinda unforgivable when you think about it.
But we have a very promising player on a permanent basis instead of loan. Kinda big difference, if you think about it.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
I don't believe the article. Real might want to sell and Ode might be now wanting out but that doesn't mean he's first choice.

I wonder if we could fit Ode, ESR and Maddison in the same team with one of them as an 8.

Back 4

Partey.......Ode
ESR Maddison Saka
Auba

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
The most likely signing to be made for AM, and that's ok to me.

We cant get exactly who we want anymore, not just because we dither so much, but also because we are actually garbage right now.

Pair him with a versatile 6/8/10 player like Auoar/Sabitzer, and with Xhaka, Partey, ESR, Saka, Lokonga, Ødegaard, Auoar/Sabitzer, and we have a basic midfield to work with over the coming season.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Really really don't like how he pretty much forces 4-2-3-1 on us too. Two behind the ball midfielders, Ødegaard in a fixed position. It doesn't leave a lot of roam for much flexibility. I don't necessarily hate the formation but when your 10 is essentially a stiff one trick pony who won't make runs beyond the CF and none of your midfielders make those 3rd man runs for me it makes it very easy for opposition to defend against. You're essentially solely reliant on individual brilliance to open up defences or transitions primarily.

It's so dull, you're hoping Saka or Pepe bail us out with something magical, otherwise you're waiting for Ødegaard to get that one opportunity to do the only thing he's good at, play a nice through ball when he's got loads of space and there's space behind the backline. It gets even worse if Laca is your CF dropping into the space Ødegaard usually operates in.

Tir Na Nog

This is literally a carbon copy of the Ceballos situation, a mixed loan with only a handful of good games has the fans wanting more. There were loads of games were Ødegaard looked next to useless because he's so one dimensional. He's not good in tight spaces, he's not exactly a great dribbler, he doesn't make good runs, he's never gonna be a goal-scorer, not particularly quick. He's just a guy you're hoping will find a bit of space to play that killer ball.

Positives are he's a good lad who'll work hard (I think we know why Arteta loves him so much), he doesn't have a huge ego so he's not afraid to do some dirty work. But as a game changer or a midfielder who can seriously contribute to the all round play, he leaves a lot to be desired. And this is the thing none of the people who want him are telling you what he's actually going to contribute or how he improves us. They'll just talk about how promising he is, the fact he's at Real and how he's more affordable than Maddison, oh and he has the ability to play a nice ball.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
8th position secured. Hallelujah. All praise be to god.
giphy.gif

Tir Na Nog

Also if he was truly first choice this should've been done ages ago so he'd have been ready for the start of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom