• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Tammy Abraham

Do you want Tammy at Arsenal?

• Yes

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 45.9%
  • Don't care either

Votes: 20 27.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Interesting. Luiz was signed by who? And who in the squad was a better ball playing centre half than him? And which youngster did he keep out? Presumably you'll say Saliba? Wouldn't it be Holding that kept him out considering Luiz was the better ball playing centre half?

Cedric, brought in as a back up. Also brought in at the age of 28 so not someone typically classed as old or in decline. 28 I'd consider to be at peak. But again let's play along. Who did he keep out? Amn? He doesnt want to play full back.

Willian is a so so situation. He got offered a lot of money for sure. But we finished the season with Pepe (our club record signing) and Saka (a young academy player) taking the wide spots. So not sure he kept anyone out. He was brought in as an option and was used as such.

You've listed 3 players out of a squad of 24. That means 92% of players are not in the bracket you've mentioned.

Let's go the other way and look at how many young academy players were given game time under Arteta.

Saka, Esr, Martinelli, Nketiah, Willock, AMN, Balogun, Nelson, Azeez and Cottrel all got game time at various stages throughout the season.

Let's also look at Arteta's signings since being in charge.

Ben White (23 years old)
Lokonga (21 years old)
Tavares (21 years old)
Ødegaard (22 years old)
Partey (27 years old)
Gabriel (22 years old)
Mari (26 years old)
Runarsson (25 years old)
Ceballos (24 years old)
Cedric (28 years old)
Willian (32 years old)
Matt Ryan (28 years old)

The average age of these signings 22.7 years old. Hardly coincides with your Arteta likes old players, past their best and in terminal decline. The available evidence suggests the opposite is true.

I absolutely get lots of people don't like Arteta. There are things I don't like about him but so much said about him simply isn't true. It boils down to 2 or 3 players (Saliba, Guendouzi normally and throw in an academy player of your choice). Personally I'm backing the manager over those two. We've heard the Saliba deal was dodgy and Raul has been swiftly let go and Guendouzi has been a problem everywhere. We have a massive squad and can only pick 11 players to start games. We can't appease everyone but we try our best to do so. Most young players via an academy simply aren't good enough to play for a top team straight away and thats seen through comparable numbers elsewhere.

If you've got this far thanks for reading :)

You just absolutely bodied that poor guy!!

It's true though. Arsenal haters like to focus on Cedric and Willian but I have no idea why. Its bizarre, it's as if different regimes don't make bad signings guys!! Every signing has to be perfect !!!

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That's a shame. I can't see anyone touching Lacazette. So it'll be down to shifting Nketiah and loaning Balogun. Which I think is needed anyway.

Yeah, if we make a move for a striker it will be facilitated by Eddie's departure imo. Its a shame we seemingly have to wait for outgoings before we bring anyone in, it just further shows the lack of real commitment the ownership have of improving the team.

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

Interesting. Luiz was signed by who? And who in the squad was a better ball playing centre half than him? And which youngster did he keep out? Presumably you'll say Saliba? Wouldn't it be Holding that kept him out considering Luiz was the better ball playing centre half?

Cedric, brought in as a back up. Also brought in at the age of 28 so not someone typically classed as old or in decline. 28 I'd consider to be at peak. But again let's play along. Who did he keep out? Amn? He doesnt want to play full back.

Willian is a so so situation. He got offered a lot of money for sure. But we finished the season with Pepe (our club record signing) and Saka (a young academy player) taking the wide spots. So not sure he kept anyone out. He was brought in as an option and was used as such.

You've listed 3 players out of a squad of 24. That means 92% of players are not in the bracket you've mentioned.

Let's go the other way and look at how many young/ academy players were given game time under Arteta.

Saka, Esr, Martinelli, Nketiah, Willock, AMN, Balogun, Nelson, Azeez and Cottrel all got game time at various stages throughout the season.

Ben White (23 years old)
Lokonga (21 years old)
Tavares (21 years old)
Ødegaard (22 years old)
Partey (27 years old)
Gabriel (22 years old)
Mari (26 years old)
Runarsson (25 years old)
Ceballos (24 years old)
Cedric (28 years old)
Willian (32 years old)
Matt Ryan (28 years old)

The average age of these signings 22.7 years old. Hardly coincides with your Arteta likes old players, past their best and in terminal decline. The available evidence suggests the opposite is true.

I absolutely get lots of people don't like Arteta. There are things I don't like about him but so much said about him simply isn't true. It boils down to 2 or 3 players (Saliba, Guendouzi normally and throw in an academy player of your choice). Personally I'm backing the manager over those two. We've heard the Saliba deal was dodgy and Raul has been swiftly let go and Guendouzi has been a problem everywhere. We have a massive squad and can only pick 11 players to start games. We can't appease everyone but we try our best to do so. Most young players via an academy simply aren't good enough to play for a top team straight away and thats seen through comparable numbers elsewhere.

The biggest problem is our lack of structured investment, as the following chart illustrates. I don’t buy this FFP bullshit - how do you think Leicester, or Villa, or even Brighton FFS achieved these levels.

TBH I’m just sick of ****y Leicester fans pitching up here, as though they’re the big I am, with tales of how Maddison is piss poor but still too good for the Arsenal :lol:

1628670122959.jpeg

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Yeah, if we make a move for a striker it will be facilitated by Eddie's departure imo. Its a shame we seemingly have to wait for outgoings before we bring anyone in, it just further shows the lack of real commitment the ownership have of improving the team.

I think Eddie will go as he has genuine suitors. I think the outgoings thing is due to squad space but again it doesn't make all that much sense waiting. Unless we are waiting for other things I don't really understand it.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Roma DOF didn't show same effort when he want xhaka tells you how poor our players rated they ready to pay 35m for Abraham even if it's option but can't go beyond 15m for Swiss captain.

Maybe Roma are desperate because they just lost thier starting CF but still this is just annoying

Vanpayslip

Let's go the other way and look at how many young/ academy players were given game time under Arteta.

Ben White (23 years old)
Lokonga (21 years old)
Tavares (21 years old)
Ødegaard (22 years old)
Partey (27 years old)
Gabriel (22 years old)
Mari (26 years old)
Runarsson (25 years old)
Ceballos (24 years old)
Cedric (28 years old)
Willian (32 years old)
Matt Ryan (28 years old)

You seem to have a selective memory. Luiz joined prior to Arteta and was then re-signed/extended by Arteta. He was a disaster. Not sure how you can completely ignore that Saliba keeps on being loaned out yet would have played no worse than Luiz who is one of the worse defenders in the league.

You also seem to be downplaying Willian. He was signed on a huge contract and has done nothing of note that Martinelli or Nelson could not have done.

Most of the examples of young players you give are a reach. Most of them made no meaningful contribution whatsoever.

Cedric, Luiz and Willian are all example of Arteta choosing rubbish old players for positions that he had young players for. All three of these in all probability played no better than those youngsters would have.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
Chelsea look also understandable so don't want to give us Abraham they prefer to sell aboard this is not like cech and Luiz who both were in thier 30's this is guy who can be 20-25 goals regular striker if he keeps developing.

Let's see what will happen but I'm not too confident because the number of strikers we have and we struggling to move them because lack of offers.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Chelsea look also understandable so don't want to give us Abraham they prefer to sell aboard this is not like cech and Luiz who both were in thier 30's this is guy who can be 20-25 goals regular striker if he keeps developing.

Let's see what will happen but I'm not too confident because the number of strikers we have and we struggling to move them because lack of offers.

Surely we can shift Nketiah.

Dangerous from Tammy to wait for us. Could have a good time with Roma.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
if they are putting a buyback in any deal guess it will be a pass from everyone now

we would just be potentially developing a player for them... its not like they signed a young CF, Lukaku is already 28

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
Surely we can shift Nketiah.

Dangerous from Tammy to wait for us. Could have a good time with Roma.
If he willing to wait until late in window then we'll get him because that the time when clubs start get desperate but if he wanna sort his future he can chose Roma now

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

You seem to have a selective memory. Luiz joined prior to Arteta and was then re-signed/extended by Arteta. He was a disaster. Not sure how you can completely ignore that Saliba keeps on being loaned out yet would have played no worse than Luiz who is one of the worse defenders in the league.

You also seem to be downplaying Willian. He was signed on a huge contract and has done nothing of note that Martinelli or Nelson could not have done.

Most of the examples of young players you give are a reach. Most of them made no meaningful contribution whatsoever.

Cedric, Luiz and Willian are all example of Arteta choosing rubbish old players for positions that he had young players for. All three of these in all probability played no better than those youngsters would have.
You are entitled to your own opinion not your own facts. You're wrong on every level. Good day to you.

Vanpayslip

You are entitled to your own opinion not your own facts. You're wrong on every level. Good day to you.

I gave you facts. You just can’t accept them.
Players signed past their peaks and used where young players were available - Luiz, Willian, Soares - FACT

AMN not used - FACT

Nelson not used when Willian is getting game time and contributing literally nothing - FACT

Martinelli not getting game time ahead of Willian - FACT

Nketia blocked from going on loan in January and then not played - FACT

Willock sold - FACT

There is no history of this manager favouring young players. If anything he has shown he is happy to use players that are into decline above young players.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Roma general manager Tiago Pinto is expected to arrive in London over the next 48 hours as the Italians attempt to complete the signing of Tammy Abraham from Chelsea, The Athletic has learnt.

Abraham is Roma’s top target to replace Edin Dzeko and they are understood to have reached an agreement with Chelsea for his permanent transfer, which is believed to include a buyback clause.

Despite suggestions of a possible loan, featuring an option or obligation to buy, Chelsea wish to sell Abraham and Roma’s interest is so strong that they are prepared to purchase him outright.

The decision is now down to Abraham and it is likely Pinto will travel to the English capital shortly as he seeks to close out a deal for the 23-year-old England international by the end of this week.

With their talismanic front man Dzeko set to replace the Chelsea-bound Romelu Lukaku at Inter Milan and the new season nearing, Roma want the situation to be finalised as soon as possible.

chelsea-strikers

Abraham is set to follow Olivier Giroud to Serie A (Photo: Darren Walsh/Chelsea FC via Getty Images)
If Friday passes without resolution, it is anticipated that their attentions will turn to other candidates. Roma head coach Jose Mourinho has spoken to Abraham, whose preference is thought to be remaining in London amid credible admiration from Arsenal — but that situation is difficult.

Chelsea would prefer for Abraham to join a foreign suitor and in the case of Arsenal they would almost certainly need to shift a player to accommodate the forward. That could make Roma an attractive proposition, especially given their desire to place Abraham at the heart of a strategy to challenge again for major trophies and return to the Champions League.

In Mourinho, new owners the Friedkin Group have selected a manager with a proven track record and who worked alongside an emerging Abraham when the Portuguese was manager of Chelsea.

Dzeko has led their line impressively since arriving from Manchester City in 2015, initially on a temporary basis and then full-time, with the Bosnian registering 119 goals in 260 appearances.

But he is now 35 and on course for a move to reigning champions Inter as Lukaku’s replacement, leaving a major void which Roma hope Abraham will fill.

Abraham is a product of Chelsea’s academy and following loan spells at Bristol City, Swansea City and Aston Villa, he broke into the first team and has contributed 30 goals in 82 matches.

He was their joint top scorer last season but he fell out of favour after Thomas Tuchel succeeded Frank Lampard as head coach in January and was omitted by England for Euro 2020. Abraham is in the Chelsea squad for tonight’s Super Cup meeting against Villarreal in Belfast.

Update from Ornstein.

Goonger

if they are putting a buyback in any deal guess it will be a pass from everyone now

we would just be potentially developing a player for them... its not like they signed a young CF, Lukaku is already 28

It's not something we would agree to from a rival. So if that was the deal breaker for making a deal with Chelsea, we'd walk away. However, i think how sympathetic Chelsea are to Tammy's wishes would have the biggest impact on negotiations.

Actually, if he is allowed to leave to come to us it's probably because Chelsea don't see us as a serious rival to them now, & that's pretty damning in itself.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

This forces our hand. I swear Roma is doing a number on us this window. First xhaka and now pushing us to make a deal or walk. I really doubt Chelsea will let him wait in the hope we move laca which is unlikely anyway.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I gave you facts. You just can’t accept them.
Players signed past their peaks and used where young players were available - Luiz, Willian, Soares - FACT

AMN not used - FACT

Nelson not used when Willian is getting game time and contributing literally nothing - FACT

Martinelli not getting game time ahead of Willian - FACT

Nketia blocked from going on loan in January and then not played - FACT

Willock sold - FACT

There is no history of this manager favouring young players. If anything he has shown he is happy to use players that are into decline above young players.
:lol:

Arteta never signed Luiz. Cedric was a back up and Willian was rotated.

Amn played enough but he wanted to play in midfield. Unfortunately he wasn't getting ahead of Partey, Xhaka, Ceballos or Elneny.

Willian kept Nelson out just as much as Saka and Pepe kept him out. Youre blaming one player for a collective issue. We can only select 11 players.

Martinelli plays on the left/middle and was kept out as much by Willian as he was by Saka, Pepe, Esr, Aubameyang and Nelson who also played on the left.

Nketiah did play but again other players play through the middle, Lacazette, Auba and Martinelli.

Willock played but again had Partey, Xhaka, Ceballos, Elneny, Ødegaard and Esr ahead of him also.

You're looking at these three players being the reason as to why certain players haven't featured - even though they have - You are completely wrong. The reasons are nuanced and based on what you've been saying are way above what you comprehend

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
This forces our hand. I swear Roma is doing a number on us this window. First xhaka and now pushing us to make a deal or walk. I really doubt Chelsea will let him wait in the hope we move laca which is unlikely anyway.
Look like to me they just didn't see xhaka worth 20m lol

Vanpayslip

:lol:

Arteta never signed Luiz. Cedric was a back up and Willian was rotated.

Amn played enough but he wanted to play in midfield. Unfortunately he wasn't getting ahead of Partey, Xhaka, Ceballos or Elneny.

Willian kept Nelson out just as much as Saka and Pepe kept him out. Youre blaming one player for a collective issue. We can only select 11 players.

Martinelli plays on the left/middle and was kept out as much by Willian as he was by Saka, Pepe, Esr, Aubameyang and Nelson who also played on the left.

Nketiah did play but again other players play through the middle, Lacazette, Auba and Martinelli.

Willock played but again had Partey, Xhaka, Ceballos, Elneny, Ødegaard and Esr ahead of him also.

You're looking at these three players being the reason as to why certain players haven't featured - even though they have - You are completely wrong. The reasons are nuanced and based on what you've been saying are way above what you comprehend

Luiz was extended under Arteta. That is a fact. You can spin it whichever way you want but that is what happened.

Don’t worry about my comprehension. This is the manager that has finished eighth twice and has a history of signing players that are either mediocre or past their best. If you had to keep on asking who those were when it is painfully obvious then worry more about your own ability to comprehend and not mine.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

To be fair, Roma is losing their talisman in Dzeko and they plan to build around Tammy it's a bit different. I don't know what their midfield situation is saying.

I think 20 mil was a fair price for Xhaka, I would only sell him for 10 mil to shut the fans up and give the club their money and watch them spunk it on silliness anyways. This "we can't sell players so we can't push forward" is one of the dumbest excuses I've seen all summer and it is frustrating.

Tammy doesn't outperform Lacazette
Neves doesn't outperform Xhaka
Our targets are sh*t
Arteta and Edu are sh*t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom