• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Martin Ødegaard

Who would you rather sign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
But I wonder: how would a man like Conte react when they see the incompetence on board level? He would walk out after 1 transfer market when he seed what Edu does. :D
That people don't get Conte will need the players he want get them all as quick as possible Chelsea and inter didn't survive his demands and we won't even survive it.

blrgooner

Established Member
Not that we are getting conte.. but even if he does come, m sure he will fancy Ødegaard when compared to others here.
Only coach who will not fancy creative players here are old school English coaches who only want to get wide, get crosses in and score headers.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Anybody who watched last season will know that bringing in Ødegaard will change nothing, our problems run too deep.

It will change things. ESR isn't a creator he's better out wide. We severely lack cutting edge and a player that finds other players runs etc. Ødegaard offers that.

ESR - Ødegaard - Saka

Is nice af. But it won't change things to the extent that we want as a fanbase. We would still need a RB and CF to seriously change things.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I like Ødegaard a lot and would happily have him, but right now i'm even wary of it. Don't trust this formation at all, think the gravity of the crisis that's about to unfold necessitates a move to a back 3 and Ødegaard doesn't have a clear place in a 3-4-3, even if I 100% think a club like Arsenal needs a player like him.

I'd go 3-4-3 and put all our energy over the next 2 weeks into buying an upgrade at CF, a focal point, a BIG MAN UP TOP.
I'm with you on the need for some changes after that match for sure. I don't think we can just ignore how overrun we got in the middle and at the back against Brentford. It's been pretty clear from the start that White isn't good in the air and I think he's going to improve as the season goes on but he needs protection for the next few matches at least - either changing to a back three, moving to RB or even dropping him for Holding (though that's not going to help his confidence either).

Agree as well that getting a decent target man in could be a good option but not sold on Tammy as the answer personally (maybe Vlahovic if he's available, or Isak or Martinez as a different profile). The illness stuff yesterday looked a bit grim but in theory we have two decent centre forwards and I'd rather hold them for a season and target the very best next year if possible.

I still think Ødegaard is essential personally, we're unlikely to be playing a back three for very long (if at all).

Goonger

I like Ødegaard a lot and would happily have him, but right now i'm even wary of it. Don't trust this formation at all, think the gravity of the crisis that's about to unfold necessitates a move to a back 3 and Ødegaard doesn't have a clear place in a 3-4-3, even if I 100% think a club like Arsenal needs a player like him.

I'd go 3-4-3 and put all our energy over the next 2 weeks into buying an upgrade at CF, a focal point, a BIG MAN UP TOP.

Unfortunately, for the way we play, I'd actually have to agree with you. The way we play we can't get our centre forward involved in the game at all.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Unfortunately, for the way we play, I'd actually have to agree with you. The way we play we can't get our centre forward involved in the game at all.

We all want to be a good team, a team that plays 4-3-3 like the way we used to, but we seriously have to humble ourselves, this team is nowhere near that and it only does more damage to try to do something you're not capable of. Go 3-4-3 with a target man striker, forget about being sexy for a bit, that ain't us right now.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Ødegaard won't bring us levels above but he'll give us extra option to create chances that we seem struggle to since he been here we do score 2 goals a game of course he may not been involved on it but the other team who defend against us will have to think we have options and not only 1 or 2.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I'm with you on the need for some changes after that match for sure. I don't think we can just ignore how overrun we got in the middle and at the back against Brentford. It's been pretty clear from the start that White isn't good in the air and I think he's going to improve as the season goes on but he needs protection for the next few matches at least - either changing to a back three, moving to RB or even dropping him for Holding (though that's not going to help his confidence either).

Agree as well that getting a decent target man in could be a good option but not sold on Tammy as the answer personally (maybe Vlahovic if he's available, or Isak or Martinez as a different profile). The illness stuff yesterday looked a bit grim but in theory we have two decent centre forwards and I'd rather hold them for a season and target the very best next year if possible.

I still think Ødegaard is essential personally, we're unlikely to be playing a back three for very long (if at all).

That's the problem though, we should be. 3 different managers have gone to a back 3 with this squad. I think the pressure to play 'the Arsenal way' is forcing coaches to try things these players aren't capable of. The only time this team looked cohesive and well-coached was with a 3-4-3 playing defensive football.

Basically all the tools are there, apart from a CF. Auba/Laca are finished, they're not ill, the coach doesn't want them here, and they're the wrong profile anyway, neither can win a header ffs.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
That's the problem though, we should be. 3 different managers have gone to a back 3 with this squad. I think the pressure to play 'the Arsenal way' is forcing coaches to try things these players aren't capable of. The only time this team looked cohesive and well-coached was with a 3-4-3 playing defensive football.

Basically all the tools are there, apart from a CF. Auba/Laca are finished, they're not ill, the coach doesn't want them here, and they're the wrong profile anyway, neither can win a header ffs.
The problem with a 3-4-3 is creativity and that's always going to be an issue unless the middle pairing provide it or you have elite wing backs. I actually agree that we have most of the right players to make it work. Willock could have been brilliant over time on the right or middle of the four. Saka, Tierney or Tavares on the left.

At the moment we don't have an obvious right winger/ wingback and personally I don't think Arteta will do it accept for occasional games.

But yeah, I'm in - let's get #BallersAtTheBack trending again!

FinnGooner

Established Member
Anybody who watched last season will know that bringing in Ødegaard will change nothing, our problems run too deep.
Last year he played on loan. If we buy him permanently he will obviously help us much more this year because he will increase our squad cost ;)

blrgooner

Established Member

It's not that we shouldn't play with a back 3. A different coach might change get us playing with a back 3.
The issue for me is the idea that we can play with a front 3 with 3 strikers.. that's the issue. So I don't think we have tools at all from that perspective. I am quite sure most coaches will not play pepe/auba/laca together.

Liam_Og

Bissouma would be glorious in a 3-4-3 btw, but whatever, apparently we're too good for that

3-4-3 is not what we should be calling it, it would be more of a 3-4-2-1 with the aforementioned Target Man. With the 3rd (ball playing) CB becoming a A ball progressor when we are in possession, i could see white playing that role.

Its very clear that current tactics are to see KT as a creative outlet, if he’s expected to be that important going forward, he needs cover at the back, not only for defensive issues but also his own fitness, he’s a player who takes knocks, covering the left flank front to back for 90 mins will only increase the levels of breakdown he has.

If there is a strong RB candidate out there, we could put a fairly decent side out, sexy, no, but stable yes.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
3-4-3 is not what we should be calling it, it would be more of a 3-4-2-1 with the aforementioned Target Man. With the 3rd (ball playing) CB becoming a A ball progressor when we are in possession, i could see white playing that role.

Its very clear that current tactics are to see KT as a creative outlet, if he’s expected to be that important going forward, he needs cover at the back, not only for defensive issues but also his own fitness, he’s a player who takes knocks, covering the left flank front to back for 90 mins will only increase the levels of breakdown he has.

If there is a strong RB candidate out there, we could put a fairly decent side out, sexy, no, but stable yes.

AMN, proven and perfect for the role

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom