• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Martin Ødegaard

Who would you rather sign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Wonga

Established Member
He'll break the assist record next season.

200w.gif

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This is an insightful post imo. I don't agree with everything but definitely agree that one of Ødegaard's strengths is his ability to keep possession in advanced areas whilst still having a high volume of progressive and key passes. It's something that sets him apart from Maddison for example. It seems to fit with the style Arteta is aiming for.

I'd say that we have a few more players that are comfortable on the ball; Gabriel has underrated ball skills at CB; Lokonga and Partey in the middle as well. Think that you need a balance of possession players and runners as well otherwise the team becomes one paced and sterile. So an in-form Auba, Martinelli and Pepe all have a place but probably not together.

Question for me is whether he can make it all tick consistently. Evidence so far is no but hope that changes obviously.
Arteta is wedded to a 4231 with Ødegaard, but the key is having runners for him to hit and movement so that he has more freedom in possession.

My problem with him at the moment is that he operates in the right half space under Arteta. That means our right winger stays wide, because our right back doesn't have the athleticism to overlap.

I read a thread on Twitter the other day saying the quickest fix for Arteta would be mirroring what he does on the left on the right. Basically getting the width from both full backs like Liverpool do rather than 1 full back and 1 winger as only Saka can do that job and if he isnt available it falls apart. I don't think that would work as we don't have monsters like Fabinho, VVD and Konate.

Personally, I feel the easiest fix for Arteta to create problems for the opposition is in the transfer market. Ødegaard is one piece but a RB and a CF who attacks the ball is a must. I would flip ESR to the right as he is effective from there. Having a rb who can do what Tierney does would allow us to tuck in either full back and attack from both sides.

-------------------------New cf
Saka-----------------Ødegaard-------------ESR
----------------Lokonga-----Partey
Tierney--------------------------------------Emerson

Now say we build up down the left.

Tierney-----------New CF------------ESR
----------------Saka----------------Ødegaard
----------------Lokonga--------------Emerson
---------------------------------Partey
--------------------Gabriel----------White

It would look like something above. Tierney and Saka would be building up down the left with Lokonga covering the left half space and a striker in the box. If we need to recycle it can come to the right and instead of Tierney staying up he could retreat and let Saka take up the wide position.

Saka-----------------New CF------------Emerson
------------------------------Ødegaard------ESR
--------Tierney-------Lokonga-------Partey
----------------------Gabriel------White

Then you have triangles down the right with Emerson, Ødegaard, ESR and deep progressions from Partey. If you switch it to the left with a long diagonal you have Saka 1v1 rather than Tierney. There is always a presence on the box.

Ødegaard being in the right half space isnt a problem if he has a right footer out side of him. Give him two right footers who can run past him.and interplay and you have a triangle.

This system allows a 2 3 5 when attacking but allows build up down both sides and wit a genuine target in the middle it offers threat from multiple areas.

Where this would leave players like Martinelli, Pepe and Auba is an issue. None of them suit this system and unless Martinelli converts into an all action cf, I could see Arteta wanting to move them all on. After he completely tanks their value ofcourse.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Guendouzi and Mavropanos aren't obligations? i know there clause to make it obligation but it's very reachable but at this point yeah you right.
Mavro's obligation depends on whether Stuttgart get relegated or not.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
It's a good deal, we are also signing Ramsdale for the price of Maddison + Ødegaard which is probably wise.

Issue is we still need a right back or a forward badly on top of this.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Any deal involving Rimsdale coming to Arsenal, isn't a good deal...but I am happy we are signing Ødegaard.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Arteta is wedded to a 4231 with Ødegaard, but the key is having runners for him to hit and movement so that he has more freedom in possession.

My problem with him at the moment is that he operates in the right half space under Arteta. That means our right winger stays wide, because our right back doesn't have the athleticism to overlap.

I read a thread on Twitter the other day saying the quickest fix for Arteta would be mirroring what he does on the left on the right. Basically getting the width from both full backs like Liverpool do rather than 1 full back and 1 winger as only Saka can do that job and if he isnt available it falls apart. I don't think that would work as we don't have monsters like Fabinho, VVD and Konate.

Personally, I feel the easiest fix for Arteta to create problems for the opposition is in the transfer market. Ødegaard is one piece but a RB and a CF who attacks the ball is a must. I would flip ESR to the right as he is effective from there. Having a rb who can do what Tierney does would allow us to tuck in either full back and attack from both sides.

-------------------------New cf
Saka-----------------Ødegaard-------------ESR
----------------Lokonga-----Partey
Tierney--------------------------------------Emerson

Now say we build up down the left.

Tierney-----------New CF------------ESR
----------------Saka----------------Ødegaard
----------------Lokonga--------------Emerson
---------------------------------Partey
--------------------Gabriel----------White

It would look like something above. Tierney and Saka would be building up down the left with Lokonga covering the left half space and a striker in the box. If we need to recycle it can come to the right and instead of Tierney staying up he could retreat and let Saka take up the wide position.

Saka-----------------New CF------------Emerson
------------------------------Ødegaard------ESR
--------Tierney-------Lokonga-------Partey
----------------------Gabriel------White

Then you have triangles down the right with Emerson, Ødegaard, ESR and deep progressions from Partey. If you switch it to the left with a long diagonal you have Saka 1v1 rather than Tierney. There is always a presence on the box.

Ødegaard being in the right half space isnt a problem if he has a right footer out side of him. Give him two right footers who can run past him.and interplay and you have a triangle.

This system allows a 2 3 5 when attacking but allows build up down both sides and wit a genuine target in the middle it offers threat from multiple areas.

Where this would leave players like Martinelli, Pepe and Auba is an issue. None of them suit this system and unless Martinelli converts into an all action cf, I could see Arteta wanting to move them all on. After he completely tanks their value ofcourse.
Post this detailed and thoughtful deserves a response. Definitely with you on the thrust of it as well - prioritise a RB to mimic what Tierney offers on the left and balance the team.

My thoughts are probably a bit basic compared to your post, but I like Emerson for example because he looks like he has that balance of defensive quality with the power of and pace to get up and down the flanks. Reminds me of Sagna or Lauren. Tyler Adams is a bit different, but he also looks like he could be a player to bring some balance to our right side.

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
Technically good, but very slow and weak.

80m spent on White and Ødegaard, this window won’t age well.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Looking forward to seeing him back permanently. He played well during the Loan especially in the Europa.

Confident he will kick on, in spite of Tet’s tactics truck. Welcome back Martin!

Gn1212

Someone check on the Leicester fans in here. Just when they accepted Maddison was going and they were gonna reinvest the money they get on Berardi and others, they're now stuck with him and his questionable hip, and they don't even rate him.

Let me guess, now they'll start rating him again and stop hating him for how he dresses? 🤣

thierry-henry-laugh.gif

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
To me it's a bit underwhelming short term, I don't think Ødegaard would be a guy that moves the needle, but short term (this season) we've had it anyway.

At the end of the day it's another talented U24 to add to Saka, KT, ESR, White, Saliba ect for the next manager to utilise.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Someone check on the Leicester fans in here. Just when they accepted Maddison was going and they were gonna reinvest the money they get on Berardi and others, they're now stuck with him and his questionable hip, and they don't even rate him.

Let me guess, now they'll start rating him again and stop hating him for how he dresses? 🤣

thierry-henry-laugh.gif
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom