• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

That’s what makes Kante so special, he can win the ball but also start plays from deep because he’s a great dribbler and has pace, stamina and a good passer.
Yeah and that’s why Lampard was on to something when he felt it was a waste playing Kante as a deep ball winner like Conte/Mourinho did.

Kante is a fully fledged WC box to box CM for France and Chelsea now but them times everyone was crying about Lampard not playing him in his old role. Armchair managers losing again.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
To me at a club like Arsenal if the side you're in isn't winning trophies fairly regularly you can't be considered a club legend. Handing out those accolades to players who've won little is the sort of things a Sp**s fans would do.

Maybe I'm quite strict on the criteria for club legend. Bobby Pires is kind of my barometer for club legend. Below him and you don't get in.

I wouldn't put any Arsenal player of the last 10 years anywhere close to that status, though we've had some wonderful players. Saka has a chance to make it in the future, I guess.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
To me at a club like Arsenal if the side you're in isn't winning trophies fairly regularly you can't be considered a club legend. Handing out those accolades to players who've won little is the sort of things a Sp**s fans would do.

Maybe I'm quite strict on the criteria for club legend. Bobby Pires is kind of my barometer for club legend. Below him and you don't get in.

I wouldn't put any Arsenal player of the last 10 years anywhere close to that status, though we've had some wonderful players. Saka has a chance to make it in the future, I guess.

I think at this point, its almost impossible be be a legend at Arsenal without a league title.

Brady is the only one that comes to mind, that is a legend here without one...but I think after our 5 league titles from 1989-2004, the players at that time just raised the bar.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
And even he's debatable. Leaving at age 24 makes it tough, especially given he won only an FA cup here (and wasn't exactly the key man there).
The key for me is he held it down as a child among invincibles... Massive players and personalities. Legends. He was here long enough too and was desperately unlucky to have nothing around him worthy of his level. People laud Wenger for keeping us in the top 4 for so long, but Cesc was a massive part of that in the banter era. Also, the premiership still hasn't really seen anything like him before and arguably since. Even without being an Arsenal player, he's super special. But because he was an arsenal player, that makes him an Arsenal legend imo.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
The key for me is he held it down as a child among invincibles... Massive players and personalities. Legends. He was here long enough too and was desperately unlucky to have nothing around him worthy of his level. People laud Wenger for keeping us in the top 4 for so long, but Cesc was a massive part of that in the banter era. Also, the premiership still hasn't really seen anything like him before and arguably since. Even without being an Arsenal player, he's super special. But because he was an arsenal player, that makes him an Arsenal legend imo.
Yeah fair enough, it's just similar to the "is [pre-return] Ronaldo a United legend?" with a lot less trophies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Yeah fair enough, it's just similar to the "is [pre-return] Ronaldo a United legend?" with a lot less trophies.
Who even debates that? Ronaldo absolutely is a Man Utd legend. He was top 2 or 3 best players in the world when he was there and won titles, cups and a CL.

Our situation and expectations as a club were completely different with Cesc. Him having a huge influence on us getting CL football and being our talisman once the invincibles departed was his contribution.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
Who even debates that? Ronaldo absolutely is a Man Utd legend. He was top 2 or 3 best players in the world when he was there and won titles, cups and a CL.

Our situation and expectations as a club were completely different with Cesc. Him having a huge influence on us getting CL football and being our talisman once the invincibles departed was his contribution.
Giving the best decade of your career to another club (to which you demanded a move) makes it odd (though its made possible in that he's been world-class for 15+ years now). But yeah, Ronaldo is definitely a legend.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Whether he's the best player since the new stadium or even in the conversation is irrelevant. In 50 years time everyone will read that Aaron Ramsey got two FA Cup final winners, a lot more than you can say for either Fabregas or Van Persie.

Whether you where alive or not every Arsenal fan has heard of Charlie George, Alan Sunderland and Ray Parlour because they've got the medals. That's what it's all about at the end of the day.

Yeosol

I think football fans in general have the wrong idea about what a legend is. The actual word is about fame or notoriety, not quality - it could be argued that Perry Groves has a better claim to being an Arsenal legend than Alexis Sanchez, even though the latter was obviously a superior player for the club.

And just to throw some extra gasoline on the fire; Xhaka is well on his way to becoming one. The absolute hatred a lot of Arsenal fans feel towards him actually helps that case.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

And just to throw some extra gasoline on the fire; Xhaka is well on his way to becoming one. The absolute hatred a lot of Arsenal fans feel towards him actually helps that case.

So what makes you an Arsenal legend...

Thierry Henry: "Most famous player in the club's entire history."

Tony Adams: "League titles in 3 different decades."

Granit Xhaka: "Oh, all the fans hate me."

...about the same!

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Plenty of legends here, though number 9 became an errant lamb and went astray....

Terry Neill should have been sacked because of the length of that tie alone....

FA Cup Final 1979

Latest posts

Top Bottom