• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Didn't win enough. Not a legend.

Although to be fair Liam Brady is universally accepted as a legend and won the FA Cup and no league titles.... But levels were raised since.

Cesc played with Henry, Vieira and Bergkamp. That's who he's measured against.

Harry Kane hasn't won anything with Sp**s either. He'll definitely go down as a legend. Cesc gave 6 years of world class performances and he isn't the reason we didn't win trophies. The reason for that was selling one of our best players every year without adequate replacements

So for me Cesc easily a legend, easily the best player of the Emirates era.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Cazorla a legend lol. Got spun by Dembele in a NL derby and had to be taken off by Wenger for being dizzy.

Not my legend.

I mean you can this with anyone by pointing to their lows

Henry a legend lol Why did he flop in European finals

Vieira a legend for the assist to Giggs? lol Might have won more league campains if he wasn't getting sent off one every 4 games

Both are ridiculous criticisms in the greater time they had at the club

Arsenal legends

Seaman
Jennings
Mclintock
Adams
Vieira
Rocastle
Brady
George
Micky Thomas
Wright
Pires
Ljungberg
Cazorla
Bergkamp
Henry
Bastin

great players

Sol
Sagna
Winterburn
Sansom
Dixon
Armstrong
Merson
Ramsey
Özil
Alexis

underrated
Wilson
Kanu
Giroud
Keown
Rice
Alan Smith
Wiltord

overrated
Bould
Parlour
Lauren
Petit

Good but a ******

Ashley Cole
Anelka
Van Persie
Adebayor

There seems to be some confusion between 'Legend', 'Cult Hero', 'Fan Favourite' and 'Loyal Servant'. Thomas's '89 goal was legendary but the player isn't an Arsenal legend. Because he wasn't as key as the likes of Adams and Alan Smith in the league winning campaigns. But cult hero fits fine for Thomas.

Alan Smith very arguably belongs in the legend column, as he scored 22 and 23 league goals in those league wins. Bould, Keown, Dixon and Winterburn played huge roles in most of our recent titles. But maybe belong in the fan farourite/cult hero category as they obviously the aren't absolute legends like Henry, Bergkamp, Adams.

Ljungberg was a good player but if he was in today's team and wasn't playing with actual legends like Henry, Pires, Vieira etc, then no one considers him a legend

Ramsey a good big game player but far too inconsistent to be a legend. Cult hero for his FA Cups goals fine

Merson was huge in the 90/91 campaign, fan favourite for sure.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Arsenal legends

Seaman
Jennings
Mclintock
Adams
Vieira
Rocastle
Brady
George
Micky Thomas
Wright
Pires
Ljungberg
Cazorla
Bergkamp
Henry
Bastin

great players

Sol
Sagna
Winterburn
Sansom
Dixon
Armstrong
Merson
Ramsey
Özil
Alexis

underrated
Wilson
Kanu
Giroud
Keown
Rice
Alan Smith
Wiltord

overrated
Bould
Parlour
Lauren
Petit

Good but a ******

Ashley Cole
Anelka
Van Persie
Adebayor
What does it matter if they are a *******

Ashley Cole was an absolute monster for Arsenal FC
Petit contributed more to the club history than 3 Girouds combined
Lauren became an instant legend the moment he put Ronaldo in the stands
Wiltord was a very useful utility attacker who had an intensely annoying habit of aimlessly turning in circles and losing the ball. To this day, when I watch a video of his title winning goal at OT, I still expect the ball to go wide 😝

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
Cazorla a legend lol. Got spun by Dembele in a NL derby and had to be taken off by Wenger for being dizzy.

Not my legend.

How can Cazorla be anything other than a club legend? The man twiddled with people. 5ft 1, podgy, slow and yet still made playing midfield in the PL look like a walk in the park, and did it with a cheeky smile on his face. Also scored one the most important goals in the club’s history which was the catalyst for our come back. Without that free kick we could be still be here potless 16 years later.

PS. Dembele was a sorcerer in his own right too btw.

jus2nang

Harry Kane hasn't won anything with Sp**s either. He'll definitely go down as a legend. Cesc gave 6 years of world class performances and he isn't the reason we didn't win trophies. The reason for that was selling one of our best players every year without adequate replacements

Arsenal and that lot have different standards.

Agree with everything you've said on Cesc apart from the term legend. There's a gulf between him and Vieira imo.

GDeep™

League is very weak
How can Cazorla be anything other than a club legend? The man twiddled with people. 5ft 1, podgy, slow and yet still made playing midfield in the PL look like a walk in the park, and did it with a cheeky smile on his face. Also scored one the most important goals in the club’s history which was the catalyst for our come back. Without that free kick we could be still be here potless 16 years later.

PS. Dembele was a sorcerer in his own right too btw.
He was a great baller but he done nothing that put him into any legend category. Lots of players had similar or more impact, Ramsey for example who also scored important goals, think he’s also our highest scoring mid ever. Auba who has scored 1 in 2 here, which is INCREDIBLE, and was critical in us winning the FA Cup. Then you have Özil who came here after we went on a run with no trophies, and he won 4 FA Cups, which i THINK no player has ever done. You also had Sanchez who played every game like an animal.

Santi was a normal Arsenal player. The standards are too high to start calling any of these guys legends.,

GDeep™

League is very weak

Nobody considers Cesc a legend in the wider football community, even he himself aligns himself with Chelsea. His ending left a bitter taste.

Great player for us though, our last good captain too.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
He was a great baller but he done nothing that put him into any legend category. Lots of players had similar or more impact, Ramsey for example who also scored important goals, think he’s also our highest scoring mid ever. Auba who has scored 1 in 2 here, which is INCREDIBLE, and was critical in us winning the FA Cup. Then you have Özil who came here after we went on a run with no trophies, and he won 4 FA Cups, which i THINK no player has ever done. You also had Sanchez who played every game like an animal.

Santi was a normal Arsenal player. The standards are too high to start calling any of these guys legends.,

Fair enough. We just look at things differently I guess.

For me Santi ticks nearly all the boxes for what makes a club legend.

Talent & ability ✅
Charisma ✅
Consistency ✅
Longevity ✅ ?
Influence ✅
Impact✅
Trophies ✅
Loyalty ✅
Clutch moments ✅

GDeep™

League is very weak
Fair enough. We just look at things differently I guess.

For me Santi ticks nearly all the boxes for what makes a club legend.

Talent & ability ✅
Charisma ✅
Consistency ✅
Longevity ✅ ?
Influence ✅
Impact✅
Trophies ✅
Loyalty ✅
Clutch moments ✅
Anelka is more of a legend and he never had most of what you said there, but he had trophies and clutch moments. Critical in winning the double, he’s money then allowed us to sign Henry.

Ramsey ticks your box btw, so does Özil, Auba etc.

GDeep™

League is very weak
These are circular arguments anyway, all day you can just keep debating this. For me you ask if a player has done anything outstanding in comparison to your club. Emirates era you have to say no.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
Anelka is more of a legend and he never had most of what you said there, but he had trophies and clutch moments. Critical in winning the double, he’s money then allowed us to sign Henry.

Ramsey ticks your box btw, so does Özil, Auba etc.

Anelka, Özil, Ramsey :lol:

You couldn’t be more off if you were trolling. Wait, you are trolling. Never mind.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Anelka, Özil, Ramsey :lol:

You couldn’t be more off if you were trolling. Wait, you are trolling. Never mind.
What you on about? Anelka was CRITICAL in winning a DOUBLE.

Özil won 4 trophies here. Ramsey is our scoring mid ever. These two meet your criteria too.

Just say you love Santi and leave it at that.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Even Auba done more than Santi, 1 in 2 goals under 3 managers and absolutely critical in winning a trophy.

Some of you are doing too much. Just say “Santi is my fave because we’re both the same heught” and move on.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
There is a difference between players you love, and players that are club legends.

You can look back very fondly on the likes of Özil, Cazorla and Ramsey...but they aren't on the same level of your Henrys and Bergkamps, in terms of what they have done for the club.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
What you on about? Anelka was CRITICAL in winning a DOUBLE.

Özil won 4 trophies here. Ramsey is our scoring mid ever. These two meet your criteria too.

Just say you love Santi and leave it at that.

Anelka contributed a few goals but critical? I disagree. He was only here a few years then sulked and forced a move, so loyalty also found wanting. He also had zero charisma.

Özil had the talent & ability but he was another one that lacked consistency and charisma. Last 2 years he was basically a squatter.

Ramsey, same as Özil. He has the best shout but least charismatic of the 3 and terribly inconsistent.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Arsenal legends

Seaman
Jennings
Mclintock
Adams
Vieira
Rocastle
Brady
George
Micky Thomas
Wright
Pires
Ljungberg
Cazorla
Bergkamp
Henry
Bastin

great players

Sol
Sagna
Winterburn
Sansom
Dixon
Armstrong
Merson
Ramsey
Özil
Alexis

underrated
Wilson
Kanu
Giroud
Keown
Rice
Alan Smith
Wiltord

overrated
Bould
Parlour
Lauren
Petit

Good but a ******

Ashley Cole
Anelka
Van Persie
Adebayor

Your overrated section is a bit weird, tbh.

Parlour is the definition of an underrated player if I have ever seen one...everyone who never watched him play, would think he is a "jokey"/fun/meme esque player, rather than a serious one...but he was top quality for us on the pitch.

You don't start in 2 league winning teams, if you aren't a great player.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
There is a difference between players you love, and players that are club legends.

You can look back very fondly on the likes of Özil, Cazorla and Ramsey...but they aren't on the same level of your Henrys and Bergkamps, in terms of what they have done for the club.

I liked Özil & Ramsey but they’re never club legends. Too uncharismatic and often went missing. Santi when fit always performed and gave 100%

Top Bottom