• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Whether he's the best player since the new stadium or even in the conversation is irrelevant. In 50 years time everyone will read that Aaron Ramsey got two FA Cup final winners, a lot more than you can say for either Fabregas or Van Persie.

FA cups are a good day out for the kids.
To me what matters is how a player held it down in the EPL. Having a good FA cup game is not going to sway me on club legendary status.

Cesc held our team and club together immediately after tge invincibles. The kod came in at 17 years old and became a man. I remember that Juventus game where he went up against our legend (Vieira). I remember we were losing against Bolton or some team, cesc was not fully fit, he was brought in for the last 15 minutes and he absolutely changed the game. Came on injured against Barcelona and took that penalty. There are so many games that Cesc just led his teammatesz
He was so influential and our talisman from the age of 17 to when he left at 23 years old.
We have not had a more dominant CM ever since.

I have never seen Ramsey be our talisman when he became our main CM.

May be I am being biased, but I have never rated Ramsey like a lot seem to. I grew up on the likes of Roman Riquelme, Nedved, Pirlo, Scholes, Bergkamp, Xavi, Fabregas, Deco etc..

And Ramsey is in the Lampard, Gerrard mould, but he is a level below them in ability.

Fabregas gave up any claim to being a "legend" the day he snaked Wenger, the club and the fans by refusing to train. Nasri isn't anywhere close to being a legend either but even he has more claim to that than Fabregas, played a game he didn't need to against Liverpool and left a few days later.

As I said whether Ramsey is as good a player as Fabregas or whatever midfielder you want to name is totally irrelevant. FWIW I agree that Fabregas was a better player but the history books will always show that Ramsey achieved a lot more for us. Realistically I would find it hard to call any "Emirates era" player a legend but Ramsey has as close to a big claim as any.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Fabregas gave up any claim to being a "legend" the day he snaked Wenger, the club and the fans by refusing to train. Nasri isn't anywhere close to being a legend either but even he has more claim to that than Fabregas, played a game he didn't need to against Liverpool and left a few days later.

As I said whether Ramsey is as good a player as Fabregas or whatever midfielder you want to name is totally irrelevant. FWIW I agree that Fabregas was a better player but the history books will always show that Ramsey achieved a lot more for us. Realistically I would find it hard to call any "Emirates era" player a legend but Ramsey has as close to a big claim as any.
With respect, your criteria is far too attached to emotional fan guff to be taken serious imo. Nasri over Cesc? 😆

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

With respect, your criteria is far too attached to emotional fan guff to be taken serious imo. Nasri over Cesc? 😆

The way Fabregas went about leaving blights all that he did during his time with us, simple as that. He's just another statistic now with nothing to show for it.

For all the criticism Nasri has taken in his career, at least he didn't carry on like that.

Nasri is absolutely more of a legend than Fabregas, and that's not intended as a compliment to Nasri. Fabregas is a bigger snake than RvP, Nasri, Adebayor etc. He literally took the piss out of Wenger and Arsenal.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Cesc forced a move to his boyhood club, back to Spain...after like 6 years as one of our best players.

Nasri forced a move to a rival at the time...after 1 really good season, plus 2 up and down ones.

Neither are legends (Cesc maybe was pre Chelsea move, not anymore) but Fab did a lot more than Samir...who cares if Nasri stayed one extra game, Cesc wanted to leave in 2010 but gave us an extra year.

Riou

Vieira was trying to force moves every summer, during that little period between 1998-2002, when our team was being rebuilt.

All that matters is what you do when you are at Arsenal, elite players want trophies, so they will always rightly be asking questions on the club's ambition.

I have much more issue with Cesc going to Chelsea, than his move to Barca, tbh.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

If being the best player for a prolonged period counts as an Arsenal legend then Cesc would be an Arsenal legend to many I suppose.

That's personally not my criteria, but neither is the transfer shenanigans which doesn't come into it for me. Cesc (and Nasri) to me were top top players passing through who shined and got moves to better clubs, nothing more.

They didn't even give us their prime years like the men I would class as Arsenal legends, they pretty much got their education here and looked good doing it.

Riou

If being the best player for a prolonged period counts as an Arsenal legend then Cesc would be an Arsenal legend to many I suppose.

That's personally not my criteria, but neither is the transfer shenanigans which doesn't come into it for me. Cesc (and Nasri) to me were top top players passing through who shined and got moves to better clubs, nothing more.

They didn't even give us their prime years like the men I would class as Arsenal legends, they pretty much got their education here and looked good doing it.

Think fans who became fans around 2005, post Invincibles...I could understand if they saw Cesc as a legend then, then being if he didn't end up at Chelsea.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Vieira was trying to force moves every summer, during that little period between 1998-2002, when our team was being rebuilt.

All that matters is what you do when you are at Arsenal, elite players want trophies, so they will always rightly be asking questions on the club's ambition.

I have much more issue with Cesc going to Chelsea, than his move to Barca, tbh.

The difference being Vieira didn't refuse to do what he was paid to do, the same can be said for Nasri. That's shocking behaviour from Fabregas whatever way you look at it, as captain no less. Made Wenger look really foolish considering the faith he had shown in him. Glad he never took him back.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Fabregas isn't legend because he wasn't loyal enough and he wanted to win titles in Barcelona.Legends put club above everything no matter what.

Him going to Chelsea also didn't help,but we didn't want him back,so don't put all blame on him.

Riou

Cesc went to Chelsea because Wenger didn’t want him back not because he didn’t want to come.

Nah, Cesc picked Chelsea over us.

With hindsight, I would have bought Cesc back that summer, if we could...similar to how United stopped City getting Ronaldo, though this scenario could never have happened, I don't think.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
I guarantee you if Cesc comes along 2-3 years earlier he would of walked into the invinsibles line and made the team better. For the same reason Wenger built a team around him.
Nobody makes the 01/02 better, that was footballing perfection. People like you would draw a pair of tits on the Mona Lisa and think you're a genius.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone

Though looking back, I would have bought Cesc back that summer, if we could...similar to how United stopped City getting Ronaldo.

Nope,Barcelona had obligation to contact Arsenal first if they wanted to sell Fabregas in one moment.We refused that,as Wenger and Cesc both told that and he decided to go to Chelsea.Like there wasn't better options for him in those times.

Alexs

He picked Chelsea over United and City. It is well documented on both sides that he expected to come back here and Wenger decided against it.

Wenger made the right decision but I would still rate Fabregas as our most legend-like player post Emirates. Not much competition.

Top Bottom